Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A Safari Jacket Potpourri.....lots of pics

KilroyCD

One Too Many
carter said:
Mike, What size do you wear in a sportcoat? I'm 5'10" and wear a 50 regular so I need to decide whether to order a 50R, 50L, 52R, or 52L. There's always a chance that it will end up in the dryer.
:eusa_doh:
Carter, I'm going to suggest that you get the 52 long, as I'm 5'10" and wear a 52. The 52 regular was too short (I'm long through the torso) but the 52 long is a much better fit for me.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
KilroyCD said:
Carter, I'm going to suggest that you get the 52 long, as I'm 5'10" and wear a 52. The 52 regular was too short (I'm long through the torso) but the 52 long is a much better fit for me.
If you measure the length of your jacket (from the collar seam down to the hem) Carter can use the number for reference.

BTW, the same can be done with shoulder,chest and sleeve measurements.

budrichard

Familiar Face
I don't believe this thread has a picture of a Filson Safari Jacket so here it is. this Filson does not have a biswing but a belt of which I have again removed!
FilsonSafariJacket.jpg

This jacket is the morphing of a Safari Jacket with Clay Bird shooting needs. It is a Filson, and does have a biswing. It is not currently manufactured.
FilsonClaysJacket.jpg

Filson does indeed make a similar jacket but out of unoiled tin cloth, a much heavier material. It also has a biswing. I may have to get one.
http://www.filson.com/product/index...&cp=2065674.2065689.2446003&parentPage=family
-Dick

KilroyCD

One Too Many
Tomasso said:
If you measure the length of your jacket (from the collar seam down to the hem) Carter can use the number for reference.

BTW, the same can be done with shoulder,chest and sleeve measurements.
Carter,
The length the 31 inches from the collar seam to the hem. The sleeve measurement is 29 inches from the shoulder seam to the cuff. Shoulder seam to shoulder seam (straight across the back) measures 21 inches and the chest measurement is 52 inches.

Highlander

A-List Customer
Hello Portolan:

I too have the desire to own Safari Jackets. I have the Banana Republic Safari Jacket, the Beretta Kalahari, and two or three others. I just can't own enough of them. :)

staggerwing

One of the Regulars
Looks like a good place to jump back in!

It's been over a year since I last posted on this site - too busy with work. This thread looked like a great place to jump back into the fray. I recently ordered the Walkabout Safari & Photographer Jacket from http://www.walkabout.com. Not Golden Era styling but it looks like it will meet my need for something functional without being too costume-like (to satisfy a coworker who otherwise is embarrassed to be seen with me!). And, if it turns out to not be fit for the intended purpose, it's relatively inexpensive so my loss is limited. My only complaint so far is the site said regular shipping would take something like 5-7 business days - what they didn't say was that's from the day they decide to ship it! Anyway, I got an email saying they would ship it on the 20th. I'm still looking forward to getting it but unfortunately missed the last opportunity to try it out under actual "field" conditions for another two months or so.

Best,
Staggerwing

Curt Dawson

Familiar Face
Safari/Bush jacket

The belted model might look cool, but based on my own expierences the belt is just someting extra to catch on things especially when moving through heavy cover.
Just my 2 cents.

staggerwing

One of the Regulars
Curt Dawson said:
The belted model might look cool, but based on my own expierences the belt is just someting extra to catch on things especially when moving through heavy cover.
Just my 2 cents.

Agree. I admit that's not what I was thinking about at the time, but definitely a concern where I plan on wearing mine.

Best,
Staggerwing

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Curt Dawson said:

But belts are routinely worn in the bush.

special-forces1.jpeg

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
Some time ago I bought one of the Bush jackets from WPG.
I like it a lot, great fit and great quality.
There's only one thing, I do not like about it: The colour!
I find it way too "new" - too dark.

Will a lot of washing help? Plus letting it dry in the sun?
Or should I try to bleach it with something, while washing. And with what?
I do not want to ruin the cloth.

Or should i just wear it, while driving through Sahara.:D

Mike K.

One Too Many
Spitfire, I find that many of my khaki items (even the darker ones) fade quickly with consistent wear under the intense Florida sun. If I want to accomplish the fading a little faster I'll simply toss the clothing into the washer with a little chlorine bleach added. Better to lighten a little at a time (like washing your jacket along with a load of whites each week) than to try a mega-bleaching all at once.

Also, if anyone needs to dye or re-dye anything khaki, RIT has a custom recipe for what they call "khaki tan" and it works great. Use roughly two parts tan and one part pearl gray. Double up on the concentration to make a darker khaki. Also, RIT's "khaki green" gives that great look found on old army and scouting canvas gear.

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
Mike, into the washer it went - with a dash of chlorine bleach.
The result: A much paler and slightly orange/"tea with milk" coloured jacket.

:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :D

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
Another good method for losing some colour is the Oxy-Clean/Vanish/etc...
(powder)cleaners- they take some colour and vintage-ify at the same time.

Bleaching can have some unexpected and disastrous results, depending on the quality of the dye job. Khaki which turns orange was one I remember.
And OD to yellow was another. Sometimes it's not just colour removal but a surprise chemical reaction.

B
T

Mike K.

One Too Many
The great thing about cotton is that it can be dyed, bleached, re-dyed, etc. Best to avoid too much bleach as it can degrade the fibers. Rit color remover is very effective and doesn't have the damaging properties of chlorine bleach. Anything cotton that comes out the "wrong" color, regardless of bleaching technique, can be easily re-dyed. All you have to remember is the basics of color. If the item comes out too orange, you'll need to counter that with added dye on the opposite end of the color spectrum. The Rit recipe for khaki (2 parts tan, 1 part pearl gray) can be reversed (double the gray) to correct the color balance in textiles gone orange. The pearl gray has a lot of blues & greens in the dye powder to counter the warm tones resulting from chlorine bleach reactions. I have personally done this to recolor or correct the color on everything from trousers to canvas boots to hatbands.

Warbaby

One Too Many
I've worn safari jackets for many years and consider them an indispensable item. Here are my two current jackets - the first is from Gander Mountain and the second is a Tilley, both thrift shop finds for under ten bucks.

SafariGander4.jpg

SafariGander3.jpg

SafariTilley1.jpg

SafariTilley2.jpg

BTW, I divide safari jackets into two types: 'Real' safari jackets and safari-style jackets. The Gander Mountain is an example of the former and the Tilley is an example of the latter (which is not meant to denigrate Tilley - their stuff is of exceptional quality and Tilley's fabric is almost indestructable). An unusual design feature of the Tilley that isn't apparent in the photos is that the pocket buttons and buttonholes are faux - the pockets have Velcro closures. Also unusual is the way the shoulder pieces form the upper pocket flaps.

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
I picked this up because I thought it looks great, it fits me very well, and I know Willis and Geiger has a great reputation. Of course, I also realize that I might wear it twice before it works its way to the back of my closet, so it's up for sale.
DSC_0028.jpg

DSC_0011.jpg

DSC_0040.jpg

Highlander

A-List Customer
I just bought a used Banana Republic Safari Jacket (I have a like new one), and a Beretta Kalahari. But, I too have a love of these, and this one has a little wear on it, so great to hack around in. But I need a belt for it, the one with it was lost/gone. Any ideas where to find one?

wellofsouls

New in Town
Eddie Bauer safari jacket

First post here - just wanted to direct attention to Eddie Bauer's Safari Hunter's jacket - it's on clearance on their website. It's sized very large - go down one size.

It's a really solid, very well engineered jacket. Lots of thought went into it. I am ambivalent about the zip off sleeves but it's not a deal killer.

Eddie has of course gone the way of all flesh as concerns real adventure gear, but this one is a winner in my book.

Greetings to all - I love this site!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner