Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A Scanner Darkly

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
definitely interesting...I don't know, looks like something I'd have to be in the right mood for. It looks VERY dark. The kind of movies I like to see are more of 'feel gooders'
you said you were interested in his work...so assume he's written other stuff? is all pretty dark like this movie?

Sefton

Call Me a Cab
Phillip K. Dick's work is often quite dark. Filled with paranoia and strange shifts in reality that often seemed to reflect his own life. The man had some troubles...but still wrote some beautiful and original stuff. His short novel "Do Androids Dream of Electronic Sheep" was the basis for the movie "Blade Runner".
I liked his novel "The Man in the High Castle" which asks the 'what if?' of what if the Nazis and Imperial Japan actually had won WWII what would become of the United States and Europe. So I guess you could say that the man was a tad bit 'dark'....;)

J. M. Stovall

Call Me a Cab
As a matter of fact, I worked on this movie in Austin last year. I was on a team of 50 animators, and it took us about a year to do our part. The principle photography was done the year before. It's probably the most faithful adaptation of any P.K. Dick novel. It's also not as dark as it might seem, there is a lot of humor in it. And it's really a people story wrapped in a thin sci-fi skin (Hollywood always beefed up the sci-fi element in all the other adaptations, way more than Dick intended). Linklater was very faithful to the dialog too. I worked on the movie for about five months before I read the novel, and I was surprised how what I thought was the trademark Linklater dialog actually straight from the book. I'm not going to give any spoilers here so don't worry.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart