Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A Special Black Sheep Tribute to My Father

Ginseng

One of the Regulars
Folks,

My father had been ill and passed earlier this year. Over the next few months, I looked for a way to remember and remind myself of what a man is and can be and of who he was and the legacy left to me. There have been numerous hats made for the future generations but fewer commemorating the prior generation.

And so I cast about for a craftsman to carry out my wish. Bob Jessee at Black Sheep Hat Works got the call.

Over the course of several weeks, he worked with me hand in hand, sharing and working out ideas, concepts, and symbols until finally I arrived at something that I felt expressed in felt, that which I could not properly express in words.

Here then, is the Hat for My Father. The simplicity of the specs belie the artistry that went into its execution.
  • 100% pure beaver felt in Black Cherry
  • Double finish with sateen crown, smooth brim
  • Bound edge, hand-dyed ribbon
  • Custom eight-sided dimensional brim
  • Teardrop crown
  • Antique chestnut sweatband
  • Customer-selected embroidered silk tip liner and complementary crown liner
  • Five-fold standard bow
  • Jade hat pin

The brim was cut in a softened eight-sided profile. The number eight in Chinese symbolizes wealth, prosperity, and fortune. My father arrived with just the money in his pockets and build a life for his children and family. The number of folds on the bow is five, relating to the five elements in Chinese philosophy water, fire, wood, earth, metal.

Jade embodies beauty and expresses the Confucian virtues of courage, wisdom, modesty, justice and compassion.
Red is an auspicious color and was my father's favorite. Green is the color for "wood" and relates to both of our Chinese years, Snake and Dog, both of the wood cycle in the Chinese calendar.

The tip liner was procured from the tailor in Chinatown, New York where my wife bought her wedding dress "cheong sahm" over 20 years ago. The motifs include dragons and bats, with the latter being tradtional symbols of happiness.

And here is a close up that shows more clearly the dual finishes on the crown and brim.

I am honored to have been able to work with Bob on this project. The experience was as everyone here has described and better. More than just a hat, it is a memorial, a walking meditation on the depth of meaning that can be embodied so simply, so elegantly in a work of art. I hope that this piece is as pleasing to you as it is meaningful to me.

Wilkey

PS. I forgot to comment about the fit of the hat in my original posting. The crazy conformation device that Bob sends you to gauge the shape of your melon works amazingly well. This is the first hat that, having just put it on for the first time, felt even better than hat's I've worn the heck out of for months. There's just enough room for tightening up a hair, and there are no pressure points. Top notch!

Attachments

• HatForMyFather_8435_zpso5fwgwh1.jpg
    HatForMyFather_8435_zpso5fwgwh1.jpg
    243.9 KB · Views: 233
  • HatForMyFather_8429_zpsuukv9ixq.jpg
    HatForMyFather_8429_zpsuukv9ixq.jpg
    254.4 KB · Views: 226
  • HatForMyFather_8433_zpsyqe9hghr.jpg
    HatForMyFather_8433_zpsyqe9hghr.jpg
    300 KB · Views: 194
  • HatForMyFather_8431_zpsxyae9rwy.jpg
    HatForMyFather_8431_zpsxyae9rwy.jpg
    312.2 KB · Views: 213
  • HatForMyFather_8437_zpsdi7zxfdm.jpg
    HatForMyFather_8437_zpsdi7zxfdm.jpg
    420.4 KB · Views: 212
Last edited:

javadave61

Practically Family
Ginseng, thank you for sharing this. A good and caring father is a blessing, and what a tribute you have made to him. I'm sure the legacy embedded in the hat reflects the legacy he has left in you and future generations to come.

rogerstg

A-List Customer
Beautiful hat and my deepest condolences for the loss of your dad. I'm sure that hat as a tribute will help with your journey from sad thoughts to fond remembrances.

Roger

DJH

I'll Lock Up
That is a really nice tribute and you chose a good guy to bring it to life.
The brim is what caught my eye, when I first looked at the hat. Very cool!

AndyR

One of the Regulars
Ginseng, sorry to hear of your dad's passing. Special hat! It's obvious that your dad was a special man. Great work by Bob. I really love the contrasting colors of the jade pin.

Andy

Ginseng

One of the Regulars
Thank you, everyone, for the kind words.

The entire process from conception to completion was a great experience. I can't say enough good things about how Bob completely listens to your ideas, even some goofy ones, and provides options to make them better, more harmonious, better integrated.

The brim shape was the riskiest part of the overall design. I wanted to incorporate the symbology that was meaningful, but I didn't want the final product to come across looking like a mish-mashed collage of disparate bits and pieces. I think breaking out of the oval/circle/ellipse design archetype opens up new possibilities for expression not just in the tilt and bends of the brim but in its fundamental shape.

I'm very much looking forward to exploring further possibilities in design.

shrek

Familiar Face
Sorry for the loss of your father. What an excellent way to pay homage to him. It is a beautiful memorial. I too feel your pain. My father was my hero.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner