Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A Suit Study from Un Chien Andalou

Mr. Purple

New in Town
I wasn't sure if this thread belonged here or in "The Moving Picture", but since it is about a particular suit that fascinates me, I posted it here.
In the 1929 surrealist film "Un Chien Andalou", by Luis Buñuel and Salvador Dalí, a man in a plaid suit enters a room, rebuffs another(?) character, throws a few things out a window, and is finally shot. Initially his face is not shown, and when he does turn around he seems to be played by the same actor he has been interacting with.

Here are some screen shots:
UnChienAndalou1.png

The shot of the sleeve shows the fabric to be a light-coloured checked tweed.
UnChienAndalou8.png

The suit is ventless and quite waisted in true '20s style.
UnChienAndalou12.png

UnChienAndalou13.png

Really high armholes allows his arms to flail wildly around without dislodging the suit shoulders. The suit appears to be buttoned all the time.
UnChienAndalou14.png

He turns around, and shows both buttons to be done up.
UnChienAndalou15.png

Another close-up shows the nice tweed fabric.
UnChienAndalou16.png

He is gunned down, and at the same time somehow transferred to a wood outdoors.

These are screenshots from the best copy of the film I could find on the Internet. Do share any thoughts and observations - do you think this was a suit made recently, or from the earlier '20s? Was it French, Spanish, or perhaps British? Any unusual features I've missed?

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
two seminal art films in as many days ? keep it up chaps ;) (oddly enough i've just ordered L'Age D'Or by Bunuel and it has Un Chien Andalou on it.)

i'm afraid i don't have any interesting observations about this suit apart from the fact it looks mid to late 20s rather than earlier.

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
I wasn't aware of the other one!

Orpheus in 'show us their suits' thread.

the actor above - Pierre Batcheff - was French and the suit could easily be one of his own as Un Chien Andalou was a small art film and i doubt they would have had the budget for costume.
so it's probable , but not certain by any means, that the suit is French.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Trying to determine country of origin from screen shots is pure folly as any clues (labels, lining, zippers, buttons, etc...) are hidden from view.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner