Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A Tale of Two Hats

David Bresch

Familiar Face
Okay, an interesting story. I joined this lounge only a few months ago. My most recent hats are very illustrative of what is possible with custom hat makers. I loved the hat in an old advertisement posted on this web site for a "Dobbs Black Forest." I had purchased a hat from Art Fawcett and one from Optimo, so I elected to try Gus Miller, on the recommendation of Sharpetoys.

Well, Gus Miller isn't so easy to deal with. My goal was to acquire one of his vintage felts with its legendary properties. But the model I aspired to required a green felt, and Gus had none. He promised me samples of his vintage felts in other colors, as well as a sample of the Winchester felt he could get in green. But the samples never showed. I first contacted him by mail July 20 and phoned soon after. I called approximately weekly for a few weeks until I gave up, to enquire about the samples of vintage felt he promised me. Then I just went ahead and ordered a hat from Art Fawcett. Both Gus Miller and Art Fawcett received a color print of the same advertisement. Several days after Art sent me his hat, Gus sent me his version, though I had never completed my order! In fact, I assumed by September he forgot about me.

Highlights of the two versions: Gus's is closer to the color I imagined and his felt is more pliable than Art's, though I have no idea what this says about the felt's quality. I was surprised at any difference in color or texture since the source for the felts is supposed to be the same (Winchester). But Gus disregarded the design of the hat I sent him with the side bow, feather (I removed it), and grosgrain color. Gus's proportions are more low-key than Art's. Interesting how Gus used the turned-under brim edge to suggest the cavanough edge that can no longer be made. Needless to say, Art's customer service is much better!

Look at the first hat I ordered from Art, based on the "Highboy" model on the Optimo web site. I think Art copied the hat well, and it is a rich blue color. This hat and the Dobbs Black Forest imitation are made from the same heavyweight felt.

Finally, the Optimo milan straw. Its brim was much wider than I expected (I will probably have it cut down next year if I feel the same way).

I know everyone discusses quality. Though each of these hatters clearly make very high-quality hats, appreciate how my desired hats were nothing spectacular, but merely the specification of dark blue or dark green required that I go custom, because these two colors are virtually unavailable in commercial hats. The custom fit did not make any difference for my head, Gus' and Optimo's (both sized) fit me as well as Art's custom fitted.

The Optimo and Art Fawcett hats run about $350 (Optimo's felts are more expensive). Gus Miller's hat was cheaper at less than $200. All are very well made and look nothing like the junk I saw in the 2 Philadelphia hat shops I visited.

the hat I wanted copied

Art's version

Gus's version

picture from Optimo site I liked

Art's version

Optimo milan straw

all the hats together

Aerol

A-List Customer
Nice hats!

I'm curious, though, as to why you bought the Optimo Highboy from Art instead of Optimo.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner