Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A tragic, need help with some solutions.

Warm it up as much as you can. Sun or put it in a pillow case in the clothes dryer. Once it warms, you can then take care of it with a cloth...

zhz

Practically Family
Thanks for your tips. I decide to give it a second pecard apply since this may the least harmful method.

This is what I did:

I first applied the pecard on white area, with my figure rub the applied area very quickly until my figure feel hot, wait about 10 minutes, then use a cotton cloth to remove the pecard, it seems working, I will result under the sun light tomorrow.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Reminds me of a jacket from a few years ago on Aero's sale page. They had gotten it on trade for a new Aero jacket and were re-selling it. It was covered with a sticky overdo of Pecards and even the pros at Aero couldn't do anything with it.
I certainly wouldn't put 'more' Pecards on in hopes of resolving the issue.
Better to contact a pro, maybe at a jacket company (Aero)..??
HD

I seem to remember it was an Irvin and sopping wet with the damn stuff. I do think sticking Pecards on any jacket that isn't several decades old and actually in need of it, because I've seen ones from the 50s that are more than fine, is a waste of Pecards. I've used it twice, once on an original Mary Quant my other half has and once on an original A-2. On both occasions I was very careful, using my fingers to rub it in to avoid overdoing it, and the results were pretty good - it brought the Quant up a treat and it certainly brought the A-2 back to life a bit.

Peacoat

Bartender
Warm it up as much as you can. Sun or put it in a pillow case in the clothes dryer. Once it warms, you can then take care of it with a cloth...
Yes, that should work if you get tired of the treatment you are presently doing. Or, use a hair dryer on a low setting, warm the surface and wipe off with a cloth.

Lean'n'mean

I'll Lock Up
Actually Pecards is PH balanced and specifically formulated for leather

A lot of products are "specifically formulated" for leather, just like a lot of dog food is "specifically formulated " for dogs, it doesn't automatically ensure that it is good for them.

and the fact that it is petroleum based is inconsequential.
For you prehaps but not for everyone. Applying petrol based chemicals onto their leather items may not sound like a good idea to many.

But I understand people's superstition - petrol is bad so....
I fail to see what superstition has to do with anything.

As it happens one of our finest leather craftsman John Goodman recommends petroleum jelly as a dressing.

Well, you can find leathersmiths who recommend just about anything for treating leather , some even swear by the Neatsfoot oil you mentioned. Everyone's free to heed or ignore such advice but there probably isn't a single product that really shines out as the be all & end all of leather care.

Remember natural isn't always best - tobacco and arsenic are natural products too.
Thanks for the info I never knew that until now, guess I'll have to ease up on the Hemlock tea....:rolleyes:

The problems start when people use it on jackets that are not 20 years old.

Why's that ? I mean if the Pecards leather dressing is such good stuff, where's the harm ? From Pecards own website " The earlier leather is treated, the better it will age." If Pecards say so, it must be right !

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Yes, a commercial company tells you to use more of their product over a longer period of time, no conflict of interest there, eh?

Well, honestly, I treat everything I get that's leather a short while after getting it. VERY sparingly for a couple years, but I've not been unhappy with the results

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxraff