Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A tragic, need help with some solutions.

zhz

Practically Family
OK, few days ago, I applied pecard to my jacket, but I forgot to remove the excess, so, now, after the pecard is dry and sticked in the grain, I can see the white leftover. I have tried to remove these with hot towel, but doest work well.

So, guys, any solutions?? Thank you.

walterwhyte

New in Town
Why you putting Pecards on a new jackets ? Pecards is for old vintage jackets that are drying out or need attention. Even then it should be applied sparingly in thin layers at a time and a day or two between coats.
I'm sorry I don't have any advise on the best way to remove excess.

How about applying more of the Pecard's, to re-constitute the dried-on product? Use enough that it doesn't dry, but softens the leftover, then it can be wiped away. Hope the hot towel didn't "set" the undesirable areas. Good luck!

zhz

Practically Family
Why you putting Pecards on a new jackets ? Pecards is for old vintage jackets that are drying out or need attention. Even then it should be applied sparingly in thin layers at a time and a day or two between coats.
I'm sorry I don't have any advise on the best way to remove excess.

Its not a new jacket, about year half old, and been caught in the rain many times, so I decided to do some treatment.

Never had this happen but try a mild dish soap such as Ivory. A few drops in a bucket of warm water and rub the leather gently with a lint free cloth. Then rinse using a clean cloth and fresh warm water. Ivory is ph balanced and I use it quite often on my boots w/o negative results. Use your cloth moving in one derection so as to move the excess conditioner towards the edge rather than "swirling" it.

Also, a 50/50 mixture of warm water and white vinegar is a good cleaner for leather and the vinegar is good at cutting through the excess that has been left behind w/o deleterious effects to leather.

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
I never properly know about how much/ little to apply conditioner on jacket, I usually spill a small blob of conditioner on a towel, then I mess up the towel a bit to spread it, and then I pat several areast, and then massage it a bit with the towel on one side, then on the other side, maybe I use too little conditioner since I don't see anything left to buff off, I'm sure the leather can absorb much much more.

The soap and warm water sounds like it might work.
I've used Lexol cleaner with some success to get rid of minor white marks when I made a similar mistake.

Reminds me of a jacket from a few years ago on Aero's sale page. They had gotten it on trade for a new Aero jacket and were re-selling it. It was covered with a sticky overdo of Pecards and even the pros at Aero couldn't do anything with it.
I certainly wouldn't put 'more' Pecards on in hopes of resolving the issue.
Better to contact a pro, maybe at a jacket company (Aero)..??
HD

AdeeC

Practically Family
You could try a lambswool polishing disc attached to an electric drill. I used one to clean off some unsighly persistent white marks leaching out of a over dressed jacket a while back. The friction from the spinning pad softens up the gunk and removes it. Leaves a nice buffed finish on the leather too. Might need to repeat it a couple of times.

Last edited:

nick123

I'll Lock Up
Same thing happened when I applied Obenauf's LP to a jacket. It was more of a matter of some of the dressing not absorbing and drying in the harder to reach places. I could have been picky and used a toothbrush or something, but I just left it alone. In my case, it was a 50 year old jacket, so the little white areas of hardened conditioner don't really bug me.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
Why not take it to a dry cleaning company that specializes in fine leather goods and see what they say. I certainly concur with Peacoat's and HD's assessment of the situation of what not to do with a leather jacket. :eek:

zebedee

One Too Many
I made this mistake years ago. It will eventually right itself, although you'll be stuck with a sticky jacket for a while. Don't try to scrape it off, don't put any more on it. If you towel it, fibres will stick. Don't use white spirits. Baby wipes might help- you could heat them before using them.

Lean'n'mean

I'll Lock Up
If none of the above work try a little washing up liquid/detergent neat on areas you wish to removehe dried stuff. Since Pecards is a petroleum based product ( I wouldn't put that on any leather item) the washing detergent might dissolve it enough to be able to wipe it off. An old tooth bush would be very handy.
There are better leather care products out there, as you're in the UK you could give Granger's leather conditioner a go next time.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
If none of the above work try a little washing up liquid/detergent neat on areas you wish to removehe dried stuff. Since Pecards is a petroleum based product ( I wouldn't put that on any leather item) the washing detergent might dissolve it enough to be able to wipe it off. An old tooth bush would be very handy.
There are better leather care products out there, as you're in the UK you could give Granger's leather conditioner a go next time.

Actually Pecards is PH balanced and specifically formulated for leather and the fact that it is petroleum based is inconsequential. But I understand people's superstition - petrol is bad so.... As it happens one of our finest leather craftsman John Goodman recommends petroleum jelly as a dressing. It too is Ph neutral which is the key point in a product - it's the acids that cause harm. The stuff that is risk to leather is the "natural" stuff like neatsfoot oil which can degrade and rot stitching and leather. Remember natural isn't always best - tobacco and arsenic are natural products too.

The problems start when people use it on jackets that are not 20 years old.

Willybob

A-List Customer
hatsRme may have a good point. Unrelated but similar story. I stained an Oak mantle last week. When I applied the second coat I was called away and forgot to wipe off the excess. I came back hours later and the excess had thickened to a sticky mess. I re applied stain, let it sit a moment and wiped off the excess. The wet stain dissolved the dry build up and all the excess came off. This method may work for the Picards as well. It couldn't hurt to try in a small area.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ThomW