Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help with leather jacket size suggestion for a few brands.

thealfer

New in Town
Hi guys. I need some help with sizing. I was a 38 in a belstaff long way up Montana jacket I tried on a while ago. I am looking at getting a rainbow country leather jacket most likely but I am open to double helix or fine creek also. Here's what I got on my measurements for my body. Shoulders 17-18 inch, chest 18-20 inch in front only but 39inch all the way around. 33 inch waist but that was after eating. 23 to 23.5 inch on where my wrist sits for my arms. Should I go with a size 38 or a size 40? I'm trying to get a fit that will be for a t shirt or a flannel underneath. If anyone has other suggestions for brands I'm open to it also. Thanks much.

thealfer

New in Town
Yeah I tried that. It didn't really help. I have like two different jackets that fit decent and they're both wildly different as far as the sizing goes.

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
I guess I'll just try to see if I can try on some other leather jackets because my current jackets aren't leather. If I used them as a guide I don't think it would end well.
This is the best idea.

By the way, Welcome to Fedora lounge. It's a great idea when you are new in here to at least give a few basics - like what country do you live in? What are your basic leather jacket experiences & interests, and where have you been/tried on jackets, etc.

This is all very helpful as, for instance, if you live in the US - western states, I would indicate to you that you could visit langlitz, Johnson Leathers and even a few Vanson & Schott stores. If in the North East US - you could stop by both Vanson & Schott quite easily. Or if you live in Europe, you would have many choices nearby.

Here where I live in the Midwest of United States - direct try-on options are limited. I have used Carrie at Thurston Brothers for fit-jackets for Aero & Vanson. While I have never owned a Thedi, she handles their products too and any of those can be made to measure.

I haven't delved into the Japanese brands as simply put, they seem rather too expensive for me, no matter what they are made of and how they are made. My most expensive "new" jacket I ever purchased was $1600 USD, and had my Grandfather ever found that out, I know he would have had an immediate cardiac arrest. That jacket, actually was a Lost Worlds J23, which now runs over $2300 USD. How times have changed :)

Enjoy looking around here, lots to dig in & research if you take the time! And one more thought -- start with some less expansive used jackets from the classified & ebay - that way you find out what you like and don't like, at a more reasonable entry price. Just because something is more expensive doesn't mean it's "better" or that you will like it more.

thealfer

New in Town
This is the best idea.

By the way, Welcome to Fedora lounge. It's a great idea when you are new in here to at least give a few basics - like what country do you live in? What are your basic leather jacket experiences & interests, and where have you been/tried on jackets, etc.

This is all very helpful as, for instance, if you live in the US - western states, I would indicate to you that you could visit langlitz, Johnson Leathers and even a few Vanson & Schott stores. If in the North East US - you could stop by both Vanson & Schott quite easily. Or if you live in Europe, you would have many choices nearby.

Here where I live in the Midwest of United States - direct try-on options are limited. I have used Carrie at Thurston Brothers for fit-jackets for Aero & Vanson. While I have never owned a Thedi, she handles their products too and any of those can be made to measure.

I haven't delved into the Japanese brands as simply put, they seem rather too expensive for me, no matter what they are made of and how they are made. My most expensive "new" jacket I ever purchased was $1600 USD, and had my Grandfather ever found that out, I know he would have had an immediate cardiac arrest. That jacket, actually was a Lost Worlds J23, which now runs over $2300 USD. How times have changed :)

Enjoy looking around here, lots to dig in & research if you take the time! And one more thought -- start with some less expansive used jackets from the classified & ebay - that way you find out what you like and don't like, at a more reasonable entry price. Just because something is more expensive doesn't mean it's "better" or that you will like it more.
Thank you. I know I'm a fan of the Japanese jackets more because I tried on an iron heart jacket once and it fit way better than anything else I had tried on prior to that. In that jacket I tried on a size 40. It was a cafe racer style. Only other jacket that fit me really well was a belstaff and I was a 38 in that. I tried on some schott jackets at their store and it was too wide. I also tried on vanson at butterscotch in long beach and the one I had tried also seemed too wide but I haven't tried on a ton of their stuff. I'm on the thinner side. I want to go to New York to try on more jackets but I haven't been able to yet. I'm currently in North Carolina where I don't believe any legit jacket stores are. Haven't had the pleasure of trying Johnson leathers or langlitz yet. Figured I would check out Johnson leathers next time I'm in California.

Jasonissm

Practically Family
Also note that the new season of Rainbow Country looks to be slightly larger judging from measurements so keep that in mind if you're looking at this year vs last years models on Barnstormer, seems to be half to a full size larger than before. I might get one next year.

Will Zach

I'll Lock Up
What is your height and weight? There is a well-known jacket maker who only needs to know these two parameters, nothing else, and can fit a jacket, in vast majority of cases, correctly. But he knows his patterns. In your case, the pattern is unknown, so it is a tough ask.

MrProper

My Mail is Forwarded Here
What is your height and weight? There is a well-known jacket maker who only needs to know these two parameters, nothing else, and can fit a jacket, in vast majority of cases, correctly. But he knows his patterns. In your case, the pattern is unknown, so it is a tough ask.
Only with height and weight? Then a direct hit can really only be a coincidence. I, at least, would almost certainly be a negative example.

Brandrea33

One Too Many
The benefit of trying an Iron Heart, is that you’ll order it today and have it delivered to NC by Wednesday.

If it doesn’t fit, it’s only $40 to return it for refund or another size.

I’m relatively new to IH, but can say that without hesitation, they provide the best customer service / shipping experience of any brand I’ve encountered.YMMV.

Their measurement charts are also insanely accurate.

FYSA: Some of the butterscotch Vanson are purposely wider.

Yeah, you just have to try on as many jackets as possible. Get a feel for the maker and style of jacket. Also factor in purpose of jacket. Good luck.

Bfd70

I'll Lock Up
If you read a bunch of old posts here you’ll see that even the most seasoned members buy jackets that by the numbers should fit only to find they don’t. It’s science, art, magic, and luck. That’s why the classifieds are so active. My $.02 is to buy new from a vendor who accepts returns. Better advice is to get out now before it’s too late. Don’t look back. Block this site.

Tom71

Call Me a Cab
All good advice!

There is not “The Answer” that your are looking for. Sizing varies a lot between makers (as you’ve already discovered) and even with a specific maker, sizing will be inconsistent between models (in Vanson, I can be. 40, 42 or 44, depending on model; Aero‘s 1950s inspired design are two full sizes larger than their „Premier Range“ with the 1930s model ranging in between).

What nobody can help you with is your personal fit peferences. Do you like your jackets skintight, do you want to wear multiple layers? What do you like re sleeve length? Do you want to ride in your jacket? You get the drift…

Try on a lot of jackets, measure them (yourself, as everybody does it slightly different) to get a feel for the numbers that work for you. Be mindful that leather-thickness plays a part, and that not every pattern works with the same dimensions.

Once you decided on the jacket you want to go for, it should be easier. You stand a good chance to get size and info on a lot of ‘standard‘ models around here. Most makers/sellers are also very willing to discuss numbers with you (some don’t, so make extra sure to voice your fit preferences very loudly).

It’s not as complicated as I make it sound, but especially with pricier jackets you want to get it right first time around.

Exra-advice:

Once your equipped with your dream jacket, do show it around here. but don’t - I repeat DO NOT - ask how it fits you. The variance of answers would just freak you out!

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
Double Helix and Fine Creek will have very similar fits, straight ish torso, only 2" drop from chest to hem, some no drop at all. The difference is what angle the sleeves goes in and that will affect the shoulder look and mobility. For these two brands I think you can wear the size 40 or Japanese Large, same as your Iron Heart sizing. But it might be boxy at the waist.

Some Fine Creek Xzips fits ridiculously skinny, so best to try them on in store before purchase if you can. Too much to gamble.

Rainbow Country fits different than the other two brands, there is about a 4" drop from chest to waist and then flares out. Very flattering fit. Shoulder is also wider on the RC jacket. You might be able to wear 38 (but watch out for sleeve length because your height) for a super tight fit look and 40 for regular fit look.

Always look for lightly used jackets at close to half off original retail. Current MSRP prices are just way too high. A lot of people buys the jacket and let it sit in the closet for a year and resells them at a discount. Those will be the best.

cbez

One Too Many
Double Helix and Fine Creek will have very similar fits, straight ish torso, only 2" drop from chest to hem, some no drop at all. The difference is what angle the sleeves goes in and that will affect the shoulder look and mobility. For these two brands I think you can wear the size 40 or Japanese Large, same as your Iron Heart sizing. But it might be boxy at the waist.

Some Fine Creek Xzips fits ridiculously skinny, so best to try them on in store before purchase if you can. Too much to gamble.

Rainbow Country fits different than the other two brands, there is about a 4" drop from chest to waist and then flares out. Very flattering fit. Shoulder is also wider on the RC jacket. You might be able to wear 38 (but watch out for sleeve length because your height) for a super tight fit look and 40 for regular fit look.

Always look for lightly used jackets at close to half off original retail. Current MSRP prices are just way too high. A lot of people buys the jacket and let it sit in the closet for a year and resells them at a discount. Those will be the best.
for real..I could not be in the hobby without the benefit of used jackets (and the weak yen..)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner