Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A vist from "The Master of Mystic Arts"!!!

Worf

I'll Lock Up
I'm relatively "new" here but not to forums in general. I go back all the way to days of B.B.S's and alike. Still as many forums as I've joined and left over the years I've never met any forum members in the "real" world as opposed to the virtual one. Well that all changed yesterday. F.L. member emirtus Dr. Strange dropped his boy off at Rennselaer Polytechnic Institute in Troyand suggested we meet up and chew the fat as it were. I said "sure" and lo and behold Doc showed up on my porch bearing books, comics and secret spy stuff!. We had a grand time talking comics, movies, looking at my old T-Bird, my comic collection et al. He was clad in a classic Gibson and Barnes and sporting a fedora.

IMG_0902.jpg

I must say I was kinda nervous at the start. To meet folks you've only known online can be a different kettle of fish but we had a great time and I look forward to meeting other FL members as time and logistics allow.

Worf

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Tres cool! Shout out to Dr Strange. I flunked out of RPI back in 1964. Wonderful place for those who can hack it (I couldn't). Some day you should come down to NY and meet a few other Loungers. It's always a lot of fun to hang out with like minded folks.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
Yeah, Worf and I had way too much fun yesterday!

It was really nice to meet somebody else so well-versed in classic movies, Marvel comics, jazz, etc. We were flinging some pretty obscure stuff back and forth (e.g., dialogue from Colossus: The Forbin Project) with wild abandon. He's got quite a droolworthy collection of classic Marvel comics (and bass guitars). The only downside is that my son is graduating in a couple of months, so I won't be finding myself up in Troy frequently for a rematch!

And Dan, I know I'm long overdue to get down to Manhattan and meet the local crew sometime... I live just far enough out of the city that it always seems like too much of a schlep to me - I only visit NYC a couple of times a year these days. But, in the immortal words of BB King, "...Someday, baby!"

Alas, I can't see the picture here at work (as my job's firewall blocks picture-hosting sites, social media sites, and the like), but I gather it came it well. I'll check it out tonight. I also photographed Worf... but in b/w with my 1956 Minox, and it will probably be a while until I finish off the film, develop it, and scan it! (Such is old-school film photography: no immediate gratification. But there are compensations too: Worf's picture will have a very different look from what comes out of modern cameras - even if you convert from color to grayscale - due to the designed-in-1950 lens, and the unique grain structure and human-eye-like depth of field of the tiny Minox negative.)

The Minox:

minox.jpg

Anyway, I'm happy to report that our man Worf is an outstanding fellow!

Worf

I'll Lock Up
I almost died when Doc said "let me take your picture" and pulled that little bit of history out of his bag of tricks. My mind immediately flashed back to every 60's spy movie and TV show I could think of. I asked Doc who he was working for... U.N.C.L.E., CONTROL or SPECTRE. He wouldn't say....

Worf

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ayanda