Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A woman's voice

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I was out and about today, and instead of my normal people watching, I did some listening.

I love voices, and their sheer diversity. Its a astounding. Not just accent, but the octave of how they speak. It got me thinking about women's voices, and how dynamic they can be.

Ive been told I have a somewhat of a low voice and I love that. I meet a lot of ladies with higher voices, some even screechy. So if mine is a bit below the norm Im alright with that.

Oh yeah, the point of this thread. I guess I just wanted to talk about the voice a bit. Anyone meet a woman with an amazing speaking voice that just memorized you?

Just curious,

LD

Elaina

One Too Many
My mother who often gets "Yes Sir"=ed on the phone.

I tend to have a deeper voice them a good portion of men I meet, but I damaged my voice box right at the change of puberty, so to me, I perpetually sound like my 13 year old self (when my voice quit changing.)

S

Samsa

Well, I'm not sure where to draw the line between "voice" and "accent." But I still remember a very lovely English woman giving a lecture (I forget about what) while I was in Dublin several years ago. Perhaps I was captivated more by her...er... English loveliness than by her voice.

But I DO remember the voice making an impression on me.

CharlieH.

One Too Many
Back in high school there was this girl who spoke in what I can best describe as being just a little deeper than the typical teenage girl voice, and without an accent. What got me was the way she went a little heavy in pronouncing the Ts, the Gs, the Ks and the Ds. She also made these soft "clicking" noises when talking, just at the right frequency to give me a strangely pleasing tingling sensation in my head. I don't know what that is, but I like it.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
All the women in my family have low voices -- my teenage niece often sings baritone roles in school plays, and played Skye Masterson in a production of "Guys and Dolls" last year because she sang lower than any of the boys who auditioned. Makes her rather self-conscious, unfortunately, but that's what genetics has dealt her.

My own voice, by nature, is East Coast Nasal, and I had to really learn to discipline it when I went into radio. The honking comes back if I'm not careful, but when I do control it, I've been told I have an "NPR Voice." When I sing, I think I sound like Alice Faye -- forget about any high notes. I kind of like that '30s-radio-contralto sort of voice anyway, so it's something I can live with.

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
I like women who have low, breathy, lispy, semi-throaty voices. It's hard to explain, but if I hear it I know it! Ever since I was a kid I've LOVED women with this type of voice because it goes through my whole body and feels kinda good :eek: My 5th Grade teacher had a voice like this. That whole school year was bliss.

Sunny

One Too Many
My own voice is quite low, although I'm not sure if I like its sound. You never hear your own voice the way others hear it. It always sounds strange when I hear a recording of myself.

Lizzie, I can sing baritone like your niece. I often do, in unison and harmonizing with my three brothers, especially in Gilbert & Sullivan. And with Alice Faye, too, although her higher songs are hard. I have a very weak alto. I'm really a second soprano; you'd certainly never guess it from my speaking voice. My range is from D flat (below middle C) to the G or A above the treble clef.

My speaking voice isn't as deep as Lauren Bacall's. Now there's a wonderful voice!

pigeon toe

One Too Many
I'm so jealous of women with great speaking voices. Mine is like a little girl's voice, PLUS I have a slight lisp, which doesn't improve the situation at all!

There are a few lady podcasters out there who have great voices. I just wish I had a womanly voice, not the voice of a 9 year old high on Pixie Stix!

Nashoba

One Too Many
My speaking voice is middle of the road I suppose, the pitch changes depending on what I'm saying and who I'm saying it to ;) but my singing voice on the other hand is definately soprano and a very high one at that :)

Emmababy

One of the Regulars
I have been told i have quite a nice voice

it's deeper than average and quite mature for my age and i don't have a brummy accent with usually has negative connotations
I'll try and make a recording and put it up

Lincsong

I'll Lock Up
Emmababy said:
I have been told i have quite a nice voice

it's deeper than average and quite mature for my age and i don't have a brummy accent with usually has negative connotations
I'll try and make a recording and put it up

Please do.:D

Sunny

One Too Many
Good idea, Emmababy! I have a couple, not of spoken, but of singing voice.

Disclaimers: These were made just with Audacity and a little computer mike. They are my first and only attempts at self-recording. I/we go flat a few times. :D

Lullabye in Ragtime. Originally sung by Danny Kaye and a lady I haven't identified. My youngest brother, not quite 17, sings this with me. He's got the original song playing in headphones; I don't have the headphones, so I'm harmonizing with him. Unfortunately he does max out the recorder at the very last note - sorry!

The Wondrous Cross. Myself in three-part harmony. :D I had to layer this, and it gets a little ragged at times - hard to sing in unison with a recording. This tends more toward the soprano section.

I want to do one that shows my "man" voice more, but most of that is Gilbert & Sullivan done with my brothers. I'll think about what I can do.

pigeon toe

One Too Many
You have a gorgeous singing voice, Sunny!

At first I didn't read the whole description of Lullaby in Ragtime and when it started playing I was like, oh my goodness, she DOES have a man voice! :eusa_doh: lol

Anyway, you and your brother have truly lovely voices!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24