Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A2 jacket fit - honest opinions requested

Marv

A-List Customer
thanks for the comments guys, I do prefer the GW hands down but as the jacket was ordered in 2012 and received in 2013 of the measurements supplied at the time unfortunately since then I have lost around 20lbs and gone down a clothes size hence my issue.

If I could in take in the back of the jacket in some way to reduce the bulk that would be ideal but I'm guessing that would be a big job and probably quite expensive.

I suppose I could give the GW a dose of HWT to see if that shrinks the jacket some what but I am pretty apprehensive on doing this on this A2, I've done it on other A2s that I have had all with successful results.

The jacket is a GW size 48" (46") and I think I would probably be better off with a GW size 46" (44") but if I did I wouldn't go with the RW this time and probably go with the Dubow 20960 contract.

With the GW having NOS Talon zipper, fantastic shinki leather, collar shape and pocket flap profiles I just can't bring myself to move it along but also can't wait the 2 years to place another order with GW for a new A2.

On a side not, the GW is heavier than the ELC in jacket weight but that's not a problem at all.

willyto

One Too Many
Don't even mention doing a HWT to that GW jacket :eek:

If you feel it's way too big and you plan on losing more weight you should probably sell it and get another one. There have been some nice GW leather jackets out there in the size you're looking for. Actually I think there is one for sale in the classifieds right now (44-46) if I remember correctly.

Is not a good idea to start tailoring or HWT jackets because they will never fit as you expect them to fit. If they're too big they're too big. Sell and buy another one. It's better to move on when you reach that point that tells you that you don't like the fit of the jacket anymore.

yakima

One of the Regulars
On the contrary, if Marv has had success with HWT with other A2s, he should have enough experience to carry it off on the GW. Perhaps restrict it to the back area - and as I recently posted elsewhere, keep the hot water away from the knits.

There is no reason to eschew HWT per se. It is a proven methodology - even the likes of Aero Leather and LVC have been known to use it.

It simply needs to be done by someone who knows what they are doing.

I say "go for it, Marv!" ;)

nick123

I'll Lock Up
Marv, you're getting the "beyond" fit critique as both jackets fit very well. I'd leave them both alone and enjoy them. I'd be plenty pleased with those.

Brettafett

One Too Many
GW... I still recon the lengths, fit and 'looks' are lovley.
Perhaps some bagginess there, but is it comfy or annoying?

Maybe a smaller size or another contract for you... yes.
You could try another jacket and then choose form the three, sell off the others to cover the cost... and be happy.

I have done a HWT on an ELC RW and as stated somewhere else on some other thread, it came out fantastic. It was the best fitting jacket I have ever had, body fit like a glove, so comfortable... except for the sleeves shortening a tad too much. If it was not for that, I would still have that jacket today.
Have been searching ever since.

Edward

Bartender
Both look fine to me. On the roomier side, but well within the spectrum of the way they were worn 'back when'. If you only want to keep one, see which one would realise a better proportion of your outlay on resale, and factor that into the mix. I wouldn't go buying a new jacket or trying to shrink one of these til you've hit, and can maintain, the size you want to be.

Graemsay

Practically Family
The Good Wear looks a bit broad across the shoulders. Ideally the seams should sit at the top of your arms, and they're an inch or two down.

But apart from that, it looks a nicer jacket than the ELC. The length of the sleeves seems better.

I'd suggest keeping an eye on the Good Wear Sales Page, and you might nag something that fits there. Alternatively hit the gym, and build up your deltoids. :p

Stand By

One Too Many
Both look fine to me. On the roomier side, but well within the spectrum of the way they were worn 'back when'. If you only want to keep one, see which one would realise a better proportion of your outlay on resale, and factor that into the mix. I wouldn't go buying a new jacket or trying to shrink one of these til you've hit, and can maintain, the size you want to be.

I agree. And if the OP wished to keep them both, he could add patches and insignia to one of them and keep the other plain and original - just to add some variety? It's just a thought.

Marv

A-List Customer
Well I took the plunge and gave the Goodwear the HWT treatment to see if I could shrink the jacket down a little in size.

I think the results were slightly positive as the jacket feels a little smaller but not by much however, the grain on the leather has really come out making the jacket look even more authentic in my opinion.

Here are the before and after photos - not as good as I would like but I thought I'd post them anyway.

GW - Before HWT

GW - After HWT

And a nice blurry one thrown in for fun.....

Not sure whether I will try the HWT process again but if I do I will put the jacket in the dryer instead of letting it dry naturally.

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
I'm with Butte, that GW after the HW treatment not only looks good but looks comfortable without being baggy.

If it was me, I'd be just wearing and enjoying it from here on in.

CBI

One Too Many
who would have guessed so many darn posts!!!! I think the one take-a-way for us all is if we order a Good Wear and wait 2 years for it, best to re-measure right before John actually makes it!

Enjoy!

Marv

A-List Customer
thanks Nick, just going to wear the hell out of it now as I have had the jacket since 2013 but not worn it for a year or so.

I personally think the colour looks more russet than seal (which it is) but as we know, the A2 jacket colours along with sizes were all over the place back then.

Pdxgeo

A-List Customer
Wow the fit really does look better and the jacket is friggin awesome! Well done

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner