Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A2 jacket fit - honest opinions requested

Marv

A-List Customer
thanks guys, appreciate the honest comments I really do.

I just wanted to post a photo to show how the HWT treatment I gave the GW has really brought out the grain in the horsehide, not just on the pocket but it's pretty much the same all over with the lighter russet tones beginning to show through on the high spots and natural creases.

That's it now, i'll stop posting any more photos I promise :)

Brettafett

One Too Many
Don't be silly Marv ;) We love pics, theres never enough. That jacket does look great.
I for one, think there are many virtues to a good old soaking, if anything else, the jacket will fit you gloriously.
(theres a reason some will tell you to wet your new leather hiking boots and wear them in).
But, one has to be brave.
Tell me... Did you wash the jacket, knits and all and air dry? What technique did you use exactly?

Marv

A-List Customer
initially, I used a spray bottle with hot water and thoroughly soaked the jacket then wore it until nearly dry but that didn't really make much different to the overall size and fit of the jacket, it just helped bring out the natural grain and creasing of the leather.

So I went one step further and filled the bath with hot tap water until there was enough to totally immerse the jacket which is what I did.

The jacket was zipped, pocket flaps fastened (not collar snaps though) and the jacket placed in the hot water totally covered for about 2 minutes or so then removed.

I let the excess water drain from the jacket then placed it on a large bath towel to soak up and dry off the leather using a patting technique.

Once the jacket was reasonably free from water I placed it on a large wooden hanger and as I don't have a tumble dryer, I used a heated clothes maiden allowing the jacket to hang there overnight.

The following morning the leather was reasonably dry (there were still areas that were wet eg. around the cuffs, waistband and inside the pockets) so I basically just wore the jacket as normal throughout the day, taking it off periodically and hanging it on the back of an office type chair to allow the air to circulate through the jacket.

The jacket was completely free from dampness by then and I have just been wearing it as normal.

I have noticed a difference in the fit which I have attempted to show in the numerous photos but more expectedly, the natural grain, russet undertones and creasing has developed very nicely and I can only see this getting better and better with more wear.

Well that's it, all I did, I'm no expert on this method and was a little nervous performing the HWT but I thought what the hell, why not.

bn1966

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Tried the 'cold water' treatment on a snug A-2 to break it in...did help but left me a little feverish for 24 hours (wore it wet until it dried on me). Will have to remember to take paracetamol prior to any further 'cold water' treatments......

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
I will confess to having jumped in the shower with one jacket. Brought the grain up, certainly, but not sure it really shrank very much. I tend to use it for shaping collars more than anything.

Stand By

One Too Many
Who dares wins - and you took the plunge (if you'll forgive the pun!) and won. I don't think I'd have dared to do it, but you did, and you won! It's a keeper!
Well done.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ThomW