Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A2 jacket fit - honest opinions requested

Marv

A-List Customer
I have two A2 jackets both are the RW 27752 contract, one by Goodwear and one by Eastman.

The GW is a size 48 (roughly equates to a modern 46) and the ELC is a 46 reg off the rack.

The issue is with the fit of each jacket, I personally think that the GW is too big and the ELC slightly bigger that I would like so your honest opinions on size requested please.

I have attached both front and back photos of each jacket.

GW

ELC

PS - ignore the pants

I think it's good too but seriously, the pants just literally kill the jacket and the whole presentation. I think I like the first one more.

jacketjunkie

Call Me a Cab
Okay, I am a minority here, I love baggy and more relaxed styles over the snug, at times "squeezed in" fit that apparently is what people consider "historically accurate" and prefer around here. No point in wearing a jacket with knits to pull it together at the bottom if the jacket fits slim like a regular leather jacket and there's nothing to be pulled together. Rather pick a normal slim fitting jacket without knits then, will last much longer, knits are the weakest link in jackets with knits. Nah man.. if I go knits, I go baggy. :D But as I said before, it's totally a thing of taste and most people here will disagree. But hey, we should all wear what we like best, not what others like best, right?

That being said, I like the fit of the first one, the Good Wear MUCH better. Like 564565 times better. The way the ELC is cut and the knits are applied is not my thing, not at all. Nothing cooler than gathered leather at the knits, as on the Good Wear. Keep it, sell the ELC. My humble opinion.

Superfluous

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I too purchased a new jacket . . . please let me know your thoughts:

o-520344116-900.jpg

yakima

One of the Regulars
Both jackets (IMHO) look a pretty good fit - although I am a little nonplussed to read that the OP thinks they are both too big.....a lot of folks on here would regard both jackets as too small....

Comparing the two jackets against each other, it is easy to see why folks are prepared to wait so long and pay so much for GW jackets - the GW looks SO much better.

The ELC sleeves look a little short, and the pockets are way too high for that contract, but it's not just that. The GW has the real A2 vibe.

Regarding the knits - they always let ELC down. I had a lovely ELC Monarch that was let down by lifeless knits - it had to go!

I think the OP should keep the GW - I also think he is a brave man to upload those two pics.... ;)

Last edited:

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Can't tell the difference unless I strain myself. Both look to be of a trimmer fit and look good. Because the pants are baggy and unstructured they distort my impression of the jacket. Maybe if we saw them with pants with a belt it would be easier to judge.

Brettafett

One Too Many
Well, I also like both jackets, but in this case, the GW gets my vote. It just looks better... I do prefer the sleeve length and recon that over time it will wear in beautifully.
I feel that with the ELC, you will find after a few months the sleeves may begin to feel short, as they crease up a little from wear... and that may or may not become an issue for you.
If I could keep one, the GW (or else get another ELC but with an inch added to sleeves...)
Ultimately, I would choose the one I feel most comfortable in, just forget the look for a while and try to focus on which one feels most comfy to actually wear around.
o_O You must really trust us on the forum to show us those tartans with not a worry in your eye... I like your confidence.
Great jackets though... Interested to hear your decision.

It's hard to tell because pants are not pants and therefore do not exist as a point of comparison. Is the jacket too short? Is it too long? Nobody knows. OP might as well be wearing no pants, we wouldn't know what to do with this. Jacket's relation to the pants is an important aspect of determining the fit of these jackets, something that is completely lost here due to jammies. I can't even get the proportions right...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21