Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A2 jacket fit

Couch-Commando

New in Town
Every jacket I've owned for the last 10 years has been "cavernous". I am tall and skinny. Typically jackets that are long enough are too wide in the chest. My chest measurement is a bit bigger than 38'' and most of my clothing is size large/42. Anyway, I took a chance and bought a used A2 jacket on ebay in size 40. Does this look like it fits well? I'm concerned because the jacket doesn't hang straight when unzipped.

20181017_165757.jpg 20181017_165735.jpg 20181017_165744.jpg

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Maybe a little big, I can see it's falling off the shoulders a bit and little longer than I'd personally wear it, but I don't think it's outwith the range of acceptability. I'm slightly concerned about the creases across the right-hand panel, though.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
When I first started to buy leather jackets years ago, I sized myself way too big, which I think is what you are doing. I have also found that one can't go by labeled sizing which can vary tremendously from one maker to another.

IMO the A-2 is supposed to be a snug fitting jacket which makes things particularly difficult to nail down a perfect fit for anyone. You should be able to find an A-2 that fits you well though since the A-2 was designed originally for skinny 20 y/o boys. The A-2 works best for stick-shaped physiques rather than apple-shaped. ;)

Couch-Commando

New in Town
Here I was thinking it was too small, haha. It is plenty sung with a sweatshirt under it, which is important for me to be able to wear. For reference, this jacket is an Avirex in size 40, and I am 6'0'' and 175 pounds.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Here I was thinking it was too small, haha. It is plenty sung with a sweatshirt under it, which is important for me to be able to wear. For reference, this jacket is an Avirex in size 40, and I am 6'0'' and 175 pounds.

Yep - looks way too big - but some people like them baggy.

A few comments based on buying jackets over 30 plus years.

Avirex and Cockpit (the same company renamed) are cut large. You can sometimes ignore size labels as they are often arbitrary. A Cockpit size 40 is about a 42 in other makes. Labeled sizes are not the same and may not be accurate.

Additionally, Avirex is cut big so even if you go smaller it may still fit funny. Shoulder width is a good indicator of a problematic pattern. A size 40 for instance should probably have a shoulder width of about 18.5 inches. Most of the modern factory made A2's are 20 to 21 inches across the shoulders and if you are a thin person, as I am, it looks bad even if the jacket fits elsewhere.

It is really important to know your key measurements to get a good ft. I imagine you probably need a pit to pit fit of around 22 inches and shoulders of 18.5 with a back length of 25.6 inches. But you should work this stuff out for yourself as it will really help you with any jacket you buy from now on.

For your reference, I am six two and 185 pounds. I wear a size 40 to 44 depending on the maker. I need a 23 inch pit to pit, 26 to 27 inch back length and a 26 inch sleeve. I prefer a shoulder of 19 inches across.

GregGale

One of the Regulars
I've seen people wear bigger ones in period photos, but I agree, it's on the baggy side definitely. Depends on what you're after. Mostly, the shoulders seem wide, but again, nothing that would look off in a period photo. Except for those strange creases, but perhaps that's just the picture. For reference I'm 6 feet tall, 165 lbs, 39 chest, and usually wear 40-42, but I had a Cockpit A-2 that was a 36 long...This brand runs really large. If you were afraid it's too small: no it's definitely not ;)

Bobby Peru

One of the Regulars
I've seen people wear bigger ones in period photos, but I agree, it's on the baggy side definitely. Depends on what you're after. Mostly, the shoulders seem wide, but again, nothing that would look off in a period photo. Except for those strange creases, but perhaps that's just the picture. For reference I'm 6 feet tall, 165 lbs, 39 chest, and usually wear 40-42, but I had a Cockpit A-2 that was a 36 long...This brand runs really large. If you were afraid it's too small: no it's definitely not ;)

That's what I was thinking as well. Period photos show a wide range of fittings, from snug to baggy.

Personal preference - the jacket is baggy, but still within presentable range.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy