Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

a2 jacket size

kojax

Practically Family
i always wonder what size did the army and the air force gave out for a-2 jackets. i know they were young men i was thinking maybe 36 threw 42

Edward

Bartender
Of the surviving originals of which I am aware, I think the biggest I've ever heard of was labelled a 44, which, of course, would equate to a modern 42 for a neat fit (think Aero or ELC 42; 42, as far as I can establish, back until well after the war, was sized at av 44" chest actual, while a contemporary 42 will tend to be closer 46). Not sure what the smaller end would be, though. I have seen quite a few at wartime 38 / modern 36. That said, I'm not a collector of originals nor have I anything like an iota of the experience of a lot of folks on here.... Andrew (ASWatland) for one should be able to give you something much closer a definitive answer.

newsboy

New in Town
People still came in different sizes back then. And some of the guys wearing A-2s weren't so young. I'm sure I've seen a 46/48, and I'm not even looking hard.

ETA-no expert here! I'm sure someone will have the answer

Last edited:

aswatland

My Mail is Forwarded Here
The USAAF gave out A2s from size 32 to 54. There is an original spec chart with this info on p.80 of Gear Up. You hardly ever see size 32 or 54 A2s these days suggesting that very few from these sizes were issued. Size 38, 40, 42 are perhaps the most common seen today.

Peacoat

Bartender
Kojax: I would say that is pretty close. We know there weren't many issued in sizes above 42 as they are so hard to find. Andrew probably has the exact number issued in each size buried away in his archives.

My Goodwear Poughkeepsie A-2 is a shell size 46; it is a perfect fit. I can't imagine even being able to put on a size 42. Actually wearing it (if I could get it on) would be miserable as it would be so tight. My 1962 Irvin Foster G-1 is a good fit in a size 44. I wouldn't want to have to wear a 42.

On the other hand, I have found peacoat sizes to be relatively stable over the years. The WWII coats were slightly more fitted than their cousins in the following decades, but not by much. I would say the WWII coats were a fraction of an inch more closely fitted than the ones that followed. A size 42 in a WWII coat feels to me more like a 41 1/2 in today's sizing.

So why the disparity in sizing between the A-2s and the peacoats? That is a question for another day by another researcher.

Edit Note: I see four of us responded at about the same time. The three responses above were made while I was typing a response to Kojax original post.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou