Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A2 Knit Merits

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
I have come close to buying an A2 but have always been put off by the knits - to me they seem to be a weak link. They fray and wear out, attract moths and absorb moisture and smells and appear to need regular replacing.

Have I got this wrong?

Apart from providing wind protection, what are the merits of knits in a jacket? If you wear the jacket daily, how long are the knits likely to last and do people wash them separately to keep them nice?

Any thoughts appreciated.

Seb

bretron

Call Me a Cab
They'll last for a crazy long time, provided the moths or barbed wire don't find them. And unless you eat your tomato soup by hand they're not likely to get overly dirty anytime soon- maybe unrobe before eating at your local rib shack ;)

Last edited:
Seb, I think it also comes down to the quality of the knits on a particular jacket- if they stretch out, fray, or get weird....

bretron

Call Me a Cab
Yeah I didn't mean to be a jerk about it, but I honestly think it's not much to sweat over? Seems like guys have to replace zippers long before knits

Last edited:

nick123

I'll Lock Up
Anything prone to failure on an expensive jacket makes me nervous. Mostly because I fear competent tailors and replacement knits will be extinct in 25 years (the glass is half empty with me.) I know, you want it to last forever. But I've learned to just suck it up and remember I can't take it with me when I leave this earth, so even if I'm left knitless in a post apocalyptic scenario, I can live with it and cherish the good memories I had of the jacket.

Last edited:

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
I ask because I do wear the edges of my sleeves more than some. I've had knits on several jackets and I find I get them soaked in food and water. I think the knits I've had have all been nylon blends. So I'm curious if wool wears better and longer.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Anything prone to failure on an expensive jacket makes me nervous. Mostly because I fear competent tailors and replacement knits will be extinct in 25 years (the glass is half empty with me.) I know, you want it to last forever. But I've learned to just suck it up and remember I can't take it with me when I leave this earth, so even if I'm left knitless in a post apocalyptic scenario, I can live with it and cherish the good memories I had of the jacket.

I think you just stock up on a couple of sets of woolen knits for later in that case.

nick123

I'll Lock Up
I think you just stock up on a couple of sets of woolen knits for later in that case.

Yes. I have several sets stashed away in my hidden bunker. But I've always wondered if it is actually a good idea to have an extra set of knits just in case. I think you'd have to put them in some kind of a bag to defend against the moths.

mr_lits

A-List Customer
Ha. I'm the same way. I buy a nice new jacket and will often just go ahead and find some replacement knits for later. Knowing a few long years down the road they will need replacing. And I am lucky to have a good relationship with an excellent and reliable tailor.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Yes. I have several sets stashed away in my hidden bunker. But I've always wondered if it is actually a good idea to have an extra set of knits just in case. I think you'd have to put them in some kind of a bag to defend against the moths.

Sealed in a good plastic bag is how others store them.

xmr

One of the Regulars
I just changed my Aerial Star knits for Aero's knits, These are way moore durable. I had an Aero A2 before and I had no Problem with them whatsoever. Even my spiky Submariner didn't harm them, and the clasp/lugs are pretty sharp.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
I just changed my Aerial Star knits for Aero's knits, These are way moore durable. I had an Aero A2 before and I had no Problem with them whatsoever. Even my spiky Submariner didn't harm them, and the clasp/lugs are pretty sharp.

No problem over what period and usage?

bn1966

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I often used to get knits changed on used nylon flight jackets as soon as they came into my possession.

Now unless they have suffered a catastrophic moth bombardment or have been subjected to some serious stretching I just get them darned.

I've had the same A-2 for many years and gave it some serious daily wear for long periods. I'm on my second set of knits and lining there which isn't surprising.

I too have spare knits squirreled away, in a plastic bag in a wardrobe be-decked in moth killer cartridges.

Big J

Call Me a Cab
Seb, on every vintage flight jacket I ever bought, I had to get new knits.
So I'm kind of pleasantly surprised that none of my reproductions have ever had a problem. My oldest A-2, an Aero I bought about 7 years ago, has had a replacement zip, but knits still look brand new.
Last summer two more Aero A-2s arrived, and the knits on those are even better- the same knits supplier who supplies JC at Goodwear.
I can only guess that original jackets have spent 20 years or so very badly stored. In the dark.

HPA Rep

Vendor
I've never replaced any knits on any jacket I own, though I own so many that the rotation process may preclude any given jacket from having issues. Having said that, it only takes one occurrence, so rotation aside, if it's going to happen, it could just as easily happen on day one or year twenty.

Considering we have sold thousands of jackets over the years, the wool knit is the single item that is most in need of replacement and the cuffs fail long before the waistbands, and zippers almost never fail. This makes sense, since the cuffs are coming in regular, frequent contact with so much as we use our hands for everything. Look at vintage jackets and the waistbands are almost always in better shape than the cuffs.

Both jacket brands we carry (Eastman and Buzz Rickson's) offer full restoration services, so you can have replacement cuffs installed by the factory that made your jacket, which is what I'd want if I had the need.

Moths are an issue to have genuine concern about, so when putting the jacket away in the warm months, make sure the knit and jacket are all clean, especially of food matter, as this will also be an extra incentive to lure a hungry moth or silver fish (these critters also like a good chew on wool, as do crickets). Camphor is highly effective but it smells horribly, so if you use it, be prepared to air the jacket out for about a week before using it again in the fall. Cedar will work but this must be used excessively and regularly kept fresh. I like storing jackets in a zippered king-size pillow case in vented storage boxes (plastic), with cedar flakes (the kind you get at pet stores) used in abundance to the point of filling the box, then I buy new cedar every 30 days.

Keep the premises clean, in general, and if you wish, have a reputable pest service treating the property regularly; I have service both at home and at work (we're talking hundreds of thousands of dollars in goods that could be damaged).

But the bottom line is, wool cuffs are no different than a wool sweater: they can stretch and get damaged by insects and/or normal use, so don't expect wool knit to be Kevlar.

Last edited:

nick123

I'll Lock Up

I just reacquired my Aerial Star A-2, have been wearing it a lot, and the knits to be showing no signs of deterioration, but I'll have to wait and see.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
The knits on my Aero Bronco A-2 still looks great after six years. The wool knits on my G&B Model 43 A-2 are thick and exude high quality but still too new to gauge longevity but no reason to think otherwise. One of the big advantages to owning a G&B product if one lives in the US is that factory replacement of knits, linings, and zippers is easily done by G&B.

Last edited:

nick123

I'll Lock Up
The knits on my Aero Bronco A-2 still looks great at six years. The wool knits on my G&B Mosed 43 A-2 are thick and exude high quality but still too new to gauge longevity but no reason to think otherwise. One of the big advantages to owning a G&B product if one lives in the US is that factory replacement of knits, linings, and zippers is easily done by G&B.

The G&B knits, or any synthetic knits I've owned, have always been solid. The used G&B G-1 I acquired on ebay, an older model with a Scovill zipper, are frizzy beyond belief. But my hunch is the original owner may have ran the jacket through the wash as well. Frizziness aside, I envisioned them holding up for a long time to come. As long as the knits don't start unraveling, a bit of piling doesn't bug me too much.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails