Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A2 or Half Belf, which one first?

armscye

One of the Regulars
Regardless of panel construction, the A2 is not a flattering jacket

I would point you to the thread if I could remember which one it was. Making a short jacket with two panels gave the appearance of making it look shorter than it should or could be with one. I haven't seen one to know first hand but it sounded correct. Hope that helps.

Whether a one- two- or three-piece back, the A2 is just not sartorially a very flattering cut, historical associations notwithstanding. From a skilled tailor's point of view, it's a short waisted design with all of the visual bulk (pockets, flaps) set horizontally down around one's tummy, and a waist knit design that inevitably creates a visual spare-tire effect. It lacks the details that would broaden the shoulders (full epaulets, action back), or broaden the chest (breast pockets and attendant flaps and zippers). That's the reason that A2s look so plump and unimpressive on anything other than a military-fit specimen of manhood. Yes, there's much fun to be had talking about the exact details of the Dubow cut, and imagining oneself as the cocky Hilts imprisoned by Nazi stooges. But in actual day-to-day wear, most A2s don't look very good on most wearers.

Stand By

One Too Many
That's the best advice here, Rudie. I totally agree - and make a weekend out of it. And whilst you're up there in the neighbourhood, I'd call by Alexander Leathers too.
Good hunting!

zhz

Practically Family
Well, i tried, but I found it is very difficult to find my size on eBay since i am a small guy. So I have to order new customised jacket

This is a really tough one, and strikes home for me on so many levels.

If you're getting your first "real deal" leather jacket, I would suggest starting with a low cost used one (eg 300-500 range; you'd be surprised what you could find). And go from there. Hell, there's a universe of vintage options to pick from on eBay at any given moment.

But I'm a hunter by blood. I like the methodical search as much as the strike. If you just want a "steak and you want it now!" pull out a coin, flip it and see where it lands :) or just get both!

No, half belts do not suit you as well as a one piece back.

I disagree. I think the Half Belt is a design that looks great on tall or short guys..and even especially so on smaller women. Perhaps not so much on heftier body shapes. I have a HB..and also have the false half belt back on a Stuart and Bootlegger. I'm 6'2"..but in my view the HB adds more of a tailored or stylish appearance to a leather jacket.
I started out years ago with several A2 repros and an original A2..but finally became more interested in civi utility leather jackets. Now that's mainly all I wear. They are quite versatile and of course can be made to measure by companies like Aero and others. So no matter how short or tall the custom body length and sleeve length needs to be..everything balances out to whatever your size. In fact the half belt back design is so popular that it is(and has been)incorporated into many types of leather jackets.
HD

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
I've seen one A-2 made for somebody very small and the pocket placing and sizing can just look plain odd. I think a half-belt with no fripperies is a safer bet.

zhz

Practically Family
Thanks HD, I think HB may suit me better since I've seen how it looks on some guy about my size. I may need to ask a Japan config if they still do that.

I disagree. I think the Half Belt is a design that looks great on tall or short guys..and even especially so on smaller women. Perhaps not so much on heftier body shapes. I have a HB..and also have the false half belt back on a Stuart and Bootlegger. I'm 6'2"..but in my view the HB adds more of a tailored or stylish appearance to a leather jacket.
I started out years ago with several A2 repros and an original A2..but finally became more interested in civi utility leather jackets. Now that's mainly all I wear. They are quite versatile and of course can be made to measure by companies like Aero and others. So no matter how short or tall the custom body length and sleeve length needs to be..everything balances out to whatever your size. In fact the half belt back design is so popular that it is(and has been)incorporated into many types of leather jackets.
HD

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
If I were you I'd drive up to Galashiels, try on some fit jackets, see what style suits you best and get measured in person. Your chance of getting what you really want will be much, much higher.

Yes treat yourself to a couple of days up there. Berwick upon Tweed, and a bus trip to Galashiels. If you dont spend all your cash at Aero, stop off at Kelso on the way back, some great gents outfitters there as well that stock RM Williams boots and clothing.
Pick a good time of day and you can get a bargain on the train as well:)
J

zhz

Practically Family
I dont worry about body and sleeve length this time, as I mentioned before, I know some guy in my size has a HB, (the guy in the photo I posted), I can check my measurements with his. What I worried is the chest and shoulder, according to him, he has a 38 chest, but a 36 fits him very well. But Holly told me I should order a 36 because my chest is between 35-36, which makes me confuse. And I cant try his jacket since he is in HK now...

Since you have so many 1930 HB, HD, do you think this jacket run larger in chest?

All three of my HBs have been the 1930 HB. Great for a slim guy. Just get the size with body and sleeve length right and it will look great.
HD

No..and the 30s HB is tapered to a slimmer fit at the waist. Also the sleeves are slimmer than a regular HB. I would follow Holly's advice,though rather than trying to guess. Then if it's her error..she will make it right...and Aero isn't that far away.
HD

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Is there any frippery on Aero 1930HB? I think it is a very simply design as well.

There are different HB types, some with front yokes and separate panels at the bottom like the Dustbowl, but the 30s HB would be the one I'd go for if I was you. I a 36 btw, and my LHB in that size fits me perfectly.

Last edited:

Stand By

One Too Many
Yes, I agree, but from London to Galashiels is not a short trip. Cant do this at the moment.

I can see why you'd think it's not a short trip - but relatively speaking (to many of us here across the Atlantic), you're just down the road! I wish I was a comfy train ride away from Galashiels ... a nice B&B, fresh air, the hills, pubs ... and jackets galore! Really. What more of a carrot is there at the end of that stick?!
I would respectfully ask you to consider making a trip. You never know ... I always try to work in a visit home to England around the time of an air show at RAF Duxford so that I can drop in at the ELC tent - because there's NO substitute for seeing, feeling and trying jackets on, as Rudie said. One year I went with my heart totally set on a Star Sportswear A2 in the darkest seal brown - I'd done all the research and I knew it was what I wanted and couldn't wait to get it ... then I got to Duxford - and I walked away with a black Luftwaffe ! You never know, is all I'm sayin' ....

zhz

Practically Family
There is no train station at Galashiels, the nearest one is about 2 hours drive I think, so I need at least 2 to 3 days for this trip, which I cant make it at the moment.

I can see why you'd think it's not a short trip - but relatively speaking (to many of us here across the Atlantic), you're just down the road! I wish I was a comfy train ride away from Galashiels ... a nice B&B, fresh air, the hills, pubs ... and jackets galore! Really. What more of a carrot is there at the end of that stick?!
I would respectfully ask you to consider making a trip. You never know ... I always try to work in a visit home to England around the time of an air show at RAF Duxford so that I can drop in at the ELC tent - because there's NO substitute for seeing, feeling and trying jackets on, as Rudie said. One year I went with my heart totally set on a Star Sportswear A2 in the darkest seal brown - I'd done all the research and I knew it was what I wanted and couldn't wait to get it ... then I got to Duxford - and I walked away with a black Luftwaffe ! You never know, is all I'm sayin' ....

zhz

Practically Family
But, believe me or not, when I finish the project I am working on, which hopefully by mid of next year, I will visit there myself.

Stand By

One Too Many
Oh my God. A weekend in beautiful and magnificent Edinburgh - and an hour to Galashiels on a comfy bus. You'd barely warm the seat .... <sob> <sob> <sob> .... GO MAN ! GO!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points