Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A2 or Half Belf, which one first?

zhz

Practically Family
After tried a LW A2, I finally release buy from abroad is not a good idea, so lets back to local brand.

I am considering between Aero 1930HB and their unknow maker A2, since I am very slim, I know I will buy both eventually, (what a tragic), so, the question is which one comes first? HB or A2?

BTW, I am 5"5 with 35" chest, which A2 contract would fit me best? I think the Aero "unknown maker" is the slimmest A2 out here? I know ELC Slender is slim, but I just dont want a steerhide.

Foster

One of the Regulars
If it were my money, I would buy the half belt first, as it costs more. I find that when I have the funds to purchase something, I do well to buy the best I can afford first, then buy the less expensive later.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Much as I love my A-2, I get more wear out of my Dustbowl - which is a half-belt style - as it's more flexible. I can dress it up or down as fits the situation.

schitzo

Suspended
In my experience a halfbelt is easier to get right than an A2. But actually, I have this same dilemma on my mind also and as yet am undecided

I had my A2's before my Magnoli's Open Road, Aero 50's HB & my Highwayman.
They are now at the back of the closet & see little wear.
If I had it to do over again & know what I know now, I'd gotten the A2's last & have fewer of them...

Dickie Teenie

A-List Customer
I would point you to the thread if I could remember which one it was. Making a short jacket with two panels gave the appearance of making it look shorter than it should or could be with one. I haven't seen one to know first hand but it sounded correct. Hope that helps.

Stand By

One Too Many
I'd say that it's more a matter of the look you like - which one you feel suits you and fits you body and soul.

I mean, if you feel an affinity with the USAAF and military history and feel a certain nostalgia for the era, the aircraft and airfields and, for whatever reason inside, the adventurer/aviator look appeals to you - and if you are more of a pub guy and your look's quite casual and that's your comfort zone and you want to keep it that way, then I'd say go with an A2.
But if you don't necessarily feel those things, but you still appreciate fine quality leather and materials and workmanship, and you're more grounded in contemporary pursuits and clothes and you want a good and cool jacket to wear to bars and you want a jacket that you can dress both up (for bars) or down (pubs) depending, then I'd say that a half-belt would serve you better.

So having chosen the jacket you want, start nailing the fit by calling the companies ...

The only thing I'd choose differently about my first A2 would be to have spent more money at the time and to have gotten a better quality jacket than the one I went with - and to have looked up ELC and Aero, which I didn't. Doh!
So I'd say get the very best you can afford - you won't regret it.

zhz

Practically Family
I would point you to the thread if I could remember which one it was. Making a short jacket with two panels gave the appearance of making it look shorter than it should or could be with one. I haven't seen one to know first hand but it sounded correct. Hope that helps.

What do you think about this fit? The guy in the pic is as tall as me. IMO, the jacket fits perfect.
sample.jpg

zhz

Practically Family
Thank you very much, very helpful comments.

I'd say that it's more a matter of the look you like - which one you feel suits you and fits you body and soul.

I mean, if you feel an affinity with the USAAF and military history and feel a certain nostalgia for the era, the aircraft and airfields and, for whatever reason inside, the adventurer/aviator look appeals to you - and if you are more of a pub guy and your look's quite casual and that's your comfort zone and you want to keep it that way, then I'd say go with an A2.
But if you don't necessarily feel those things, but you still appreciate fine quality leather and materials and workmanship, and you're more grounded in contemporary pursuits and clothes and you want a good and cool jacket to wear to bars and you want a jacket that you can dress both up (for bars) or down (pubs) depending, then I'd say that a half-belt would serve you better.

So having chosen the jacket you want, start nailing the fit by calling the companies ...

The only thing I'd choose differently about my first A2 would be to have spent more money at the time and to have gotten a better quality jacket than the one I went with - and to have looked up ELC and Aero, which I didn't. Doh!

bretron

Call Me a Cab
This is a really tough one, and strikes home for me on so many levels.

If you're getting your first "real deal" leather jacket, I would suggest starting with a low cost used one (eg 300-500 range; you'd be surprised what you could find). And go from there. Hell, there's a universe of vintage options to pick from on eBay at any given moment.

But I'm a hunter by blood. I like the methodical search as much as the strike. If you just want a "steak and you want it now!" pull out a coin, flip it and see where it lands :) or just get both!

Rudie

Call Me a Cab
If I were you I'd drive up to Galashiels, try on some fit jackets, see what style suits you best and get measured in person. Your chance of getting what you really want will be much, much higher.

Smithy

I'll Lock Up

+1. Well said Stand By.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21