Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A2 or Half Belf, which one first?

Stand By

One Too Many
And I dont think they open on weekend.
Then go on a Friday or a Monday - take a day off work. Call and make an appointment ... tell 'em you're coming.
And I'm not saying this as someone who likes to spend another man's cash for him and send him on journeys ... I'm coming 3500 miles to England to visit my family in Sheffield this July for 2 weeks - it'll be my first visit back to England for 3 years !!!
And, oh - guess what? By startling coincidence, RAF Duxford just happens to be hosting the Flying Legends air show in Cambridgeshire and Gary will be there in his tent too ... fancy that. What are the odds ?! :)

PS. And yes, I'm going.

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
OK, here's the truth, I am car sick, more than half hour bus will kill me. Did I mention how I love tube in London?

You could always get off every few stops. Coldstream, Kelso, Melrose(dont know what is there) and somewhere along the road is a museum to Jim Clarke

zhz

Practically Family
Another question, do you have inside pocket on you HB? I think Aero strongly against this option, but this is very useful to me. Does it really harm the outside looking?
No..and the 30s HB is tapered to a slimmer fit at the waist. Also the sleeves are slimmer than a regular HB. I would follow Holly's advice,though rather than trying to guess. Then if it's her error..she will make it right...and Aero isn't that far away.
HD

Mark

Practically Family
Hi Zhz,
I am also 5.5/5.6 and of a slim build. Never owned a HB but just know I don't like them and do not think they suit us shorter slimmer chaps. Also, they always look slightly feminine to me as they seem to have a skirty look about them due to the belt hugging the waist I guess. I own a highwayman, Irvin style jacket and an A2, people tell me they look good on me. Just my opinion though.

Another question, do you have inside pocket on you HB? I think Aero strongly against this option, but this is very useful to me. Does it really harm the outside looking?

I have two on every Aero jacket except my Highwayman that only has one which I've had since 2001..with no printing of pocket on the outside of jacket(and I've worn it often). Some others have had that problem,though.
Here's a pic of my Aero Stuart...

zhz

Practically Family
I used to have the same thought, until I saw the pic I posted earlier in this thread, take a look of it, you may love the HB.
Hi Zhz,
I am also 5.5/5.6 and of a slim build. Never owned a HB but just know I don't like them and do not think they suit us shorter slimmer chaps. Also, they always look slightly feminine to me as they seem to have a skirty look about them due to the belt hugging the waist I guess. I own a highwayman, Irvin style jacket and an A2, people tell me they look good on me. Just my opinion though.

zhz

Practically Family
I just found these two pictures from another forum, and I understand DT's point now. The jacket looks perfect in front, but ridiculous from the back, how does this happen?
112055k63eexxk15hhh1dj.jpg
1121123ouiu8i138e1ici9.jpg

Edward

Bartender
Owning both, I'd say civilian jacket every time. More flexible than an A2, and - if such things matter to you - a more accurate period look too (as civilian men back when didn't tend to have an accurate military spec A2, unless they'd had one issued them, which was a small part of the population indeed).

I don't get pocket imprints, but on a neat fitting, Thirties Halfbelt if I were to use both the inner pocket and the outer one on the same side at the same time, I'd look like I had a small breast. Buying again, I'm not sure I could bring myself to do without an internal pocket, but I'd have only the one, on the right, opposite the exterior breast pocket.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
I just found these two pictures from another forum, and I understand DT's point now. The jacket looks perfect in front, but ridiculous from the back, how does this happen?
View attachment 11869
View attachment 11870

Aero's HBs are dipped at the front, but this one is far, far too short in the body, front and back. The cinch belts at the side are way too high - by about a good few inches - and he's tightened them so much that the back's ballooning. In short, a poor fit!

zhz

Practically Family
Thanks Edward, I am thinking the same now, 30HB will be my choice.
Owning both, I'd say civilian jacket every time. More flexible than an A2, and - if such things matter to you - a more accurate period look too (as civilian men back when didn't tend to have an accurate military spec A2, unless they'd had one issued them, which was a small part of the population indeed).

I don't get pocket imprints, but on a neat fitting, Thirties Halfbelt if I were to use both the inner pocket and the outer one on the same side at the same time, I'd look like I had a small breast. Buying again, I'm not sure I could bring myself to do without an internal pocket, but I'd have only the one, on the right, opposite the exterior breast pocket.

Grayland

Call Me a Cab
View attachment 11869
View attachment 11870

I'd say it happens as the jacket is simply too short, and looks that way from both views. Everyone has a jacket length "sweet spot", but having the jacket end above the belt looks pretty bad.

zhz

Practically Family
I thought the hb is a short jacket, and Holly also suggested that I should short the jacket length which I don't really want to. But I am going to short the sleeves, and Sloan, does aero still do japan configuration? Coz I also want to slim the sleeves a bit.
Aero's HBs are dipped at the front, but this one is far, far too short in the body, front and back. The cinch belts at the side are way too high - by about a good few inches - and he's tightened them so much that the back's ballooning. In short, a poor fit!

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Blowing up those pics, I can see those straps aren't tightened too much, but they are too high. The HB is a short jacket, but that's overly short by my reckoning. It's horses for courses, but I'd feel very self-conscious wearing that one.
Aero don't do a 'Japanese configuration' any more - that was abandoned a year back. That said, the 30s is a very slim, close fit already - Holly may be able to advise you on this. I have a Dustbowl that's a size up on my usual 36, and even then, it's not swamping me. None of these jackets are made for people looking for a 'blouse fit'. :D
I was going to have the Japanese config on my first jacket, a Long Half Belt, but was grateful when I didn't get it, as the jacket's as close fitting you'd want: I can get a woolly jumper under it, but nothing too thick, otherwise I can't move my arms properly!

Grayland

Call Me a Cab
You can request 2 panel sleeves (vs. the standard 3 panel sleeves) and that will slim them a bit, but they are pretty slim by nature on the 30's HB. In addition, think longer term. An Aero (or any high quality leather jacket) will last you your lifetime as long as it fits you. I'm not suggesting you upsize 2 sizes, but give yourself a little wiggle room.

Worf

I'll Lock Up
Personally, I went the A2 route... for a specific reason... I was flying online at the time with a squadron (IL2 Sturmovik 1946) and wanted a patched A2. Since getting a black custom from US Authentic almost a year ago I've gone totally over to Half Belts and Shearlings. The ONLY good thing about this "winter from hell" here in North America is that I've worn all my hides a great many times and judging by the long range forecast, that's not about to change anytime soon. My long half belt, my Irvin and AL D1, Gloverall Toggle and no name shearling lined Barnstormer have been god sends... that and flannel lined jeans. If I had it to do all over again I'd be go halfbelts first.

Worf

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR