Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A2 or Half Belf, which one first?

zhz

Practically Family
I looked many Aero HB yesterday, the ballooning back seems very common. Need some more research. Holly told me they have changed the pattern to fix this problem, dont know how it looks since I cant a pic.
Better..? I have no idea. I know nothing about the actual West Fall fit. Either one should be a nice premium jacket.
HD

wild_balls

Practically Family
I think the 30's halfbelt would be great for you after reading all of the previous comments!
Got one myself, and I am quite slim and not the tallest man on earth either! It gets out of the closet more than any of the other aero's ,ricksons ,mccoys bla bla!

Good luck!

Cheers Joakim

The ballooning back comes from the pleats, and is a different issue than the "flying squirrel" effect which is caused by sleeves. The Aero Sunburst doesn't have the pleats and also sits more like a regular jacket. Carrie said you could specify a 30's HB w/o the pleats once.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Certainly, my Dustbowl, which is effectively a half-belt of sorts, has no ballooning and the final production version has internal vents (is that the right term?)

ProteinNerd

My Mail is Forwarded Here
The aero original hercules is a type of half belt and now that I have one I can tell you it is a short jacket that isn't supposed to cover the belt.

Length of jackets is something I'm really struggling with currently. I think my issue is I'm too used to wearing suit jackets & sports coats so anything short "feels" like a cropped girls jacket to me! I also think the issue is when wearing jeans and a leather jacket and going casual, I usually don't tuck my shirt in (I think this is more of an Australian casual/cultural thing and seems to be much more prevalent here than the US or Europe, thus a short jacket looks even shorter!

Schitzo, would you mind sharing how tall you are and how long your herc is please.

zhz,
after looking at photos again, I think the simplicity of the Westfall might suit you. If you are in to the Aero FQHH then maybe the Cossack which is cut like the 30s HB but without the yoke at the top of the back. I'd go without the pleats. JMHO.....

I've been struggling with perfect back length too. I think for me, it's maybe a half inch above the jeans back pocket.

Ishmael

Practically Family
Neither. I'd get a Brakeman from Freewheelers.

http://freewheelers.co.jp/blog/archives/6840

HBs are more versatile than A-2s. But that trim style car coat is more versatile--and just better overall--than a HB IMO. (and just my opinion, not looking too disrespect anyone' HB or A-2).
I grabbed a HB for my first leather jacket, but if I could do it over I'd get that Brakeman (or similar).

Neither. I'd get a Brakeman from Freewheelers.

http://freewheelers.co.jp/blog/archives/6840

HBs are more versatile than A-2s. But that trim style car coat is more versatile--and just better overall--than a HB IMO. (and just my opinion, not looking too disrespect anyone' HB or A-2).
I grabbed a HB for my first leather jacket, but if I could do it over I'd get that Brakeman (or similar).

Like it and the simplicity..except for the seam down the middle of back. That always turns me off...but that may not bother others as much.
HD

Ishmael

Practically Family
Yeah. I'm not saying it's the perfect jacket or anything ( or even that such thing as the "perfect" jacket exists). Just the style that I feel myself being drawn too. I'm not a biker (well not a motorbiker) so I find myself wanting to steer as clear as possible from that look. YMMV.

It's more of a coat though, so I don't think it would be a problem even for a short guy. i.e. where this jacket hits is not so important IMO.

Interesting HD. I like the back seam. I think. It's as close as you can get to a fully clean back w/o having to source a massive hide......

Yeah, Sloan, as you know, there are so many great jackets, it ain't easy to be choosing.

Hipster? Man. That's Komori. He designed the jacket. He's a grown man dresses himself. Beard. Watch cap. Thick glasses. Looks great IMO. Hella nice guy too.

That's a nice one Ish!
I figure one needs at least 3 in the closet:
a longer one like this and 2 regular length:
a Himel Heron
and a zip up (either military or civy)
at least that's where I'm going. :)

Grayland

Call Me a Cab
Perfect back length for me is 27 inches- 1.5 to 2 inches over the top of my jeans back pocket.

Seb, do you mean the jacket would end 1.5 - 2 inches above your jeans back pocket or cover your jeans back pocket by 1.5 - 2 inches? I assume the former (for a HB).

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Ishmael, I was checking out some of the new leather jackets on that site and was truly blown away. However, (I'm almost afraid to ask) what does 257,000 yen look like in US dollars? Thanks for the pics.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk