Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A2 project

Bfd70

I'll Lock Up
I started a project to combine my interest in WWII and my job. Jacket is a 1980’s vintage Cooper. I picked it up for $160 on ebay. That was the price point I was looking for in the event the project didn’t work out. I was pleasantly surprised by what I received. While the finish and leather isn’t as nice as top tier repros it is very comfortable. Super supple goat. I Learned a lot already this first attempt. Would make some layout changes if I were to do it again BUT I think the fact that it is not perfect adds a degree of authenticity. Breast patch and name rocker on order.
48FE03F6-B488-44BB-91FA-E3AF0254D2BF.jpeg
9C52B4C4-C61C-4519-80DD-6C5618A1FCB6.jpeg
B9077DC7-3998-47A9-BD51-D028C67DC638.jpeg
DE81AC6C-5506-427A-BB25-8B764B397A81.jpeg
2E31F29E-F227-4418-9827-73184E3E0E02.jpeg

Bfd70

I'll Lock Up
I’ll be using the department patch but am having it made larger. Seems that period correct patches are 5” diameter. I’ll go between 4-5.

Edward

Bartender
Really well done - compliments to your daughter!

Nice to see Felix on this. The original Felix cartoons begin, from memory, in 1919 but had declined by 1929 in competing with the talkies equivalent. They tried to do sound versions from '29-'32 but they didn't take off, and aside from a run in around 36, from memory, that was it for some time. A serviceman issued with an A2 up until 42 would have been of an age to have enjoyed Felix as a young child, and thus he makes an ideal mascot for the era your jacket nods to.

As something of a coda, my understanding is that the character was revived for American television in the early 50s. It intrigues me to imagine kids of that era, had your jacket design been around in WW2, suddenly realising one day that this Felix was the cat on dad's old jacket...

Great project. I love the design of this, really sharp.

photo2u

One Too Many
How about a nice old school leather US flag on the shoulder? for the patch nice red suede leather with the cat in nice tooled leather or black horse hide for contrast?

Bfd70

I'll Lock Up
A little disappointing that the bottom knit in back is stitched in such a way that it can’t possibly lay flat. It ripples. I may send to Dena for a redo. May just live with it.

photo2u

One Too Many
A little disappointing that the bottom knit in back is stitched in such a way that it can’t possibly lay flat. It ripples. I may send to Dena for a redo. May just live with it.

I think it looks good as it is. Changing the knits is about 180 dollars total? Just me thinking out loud...

Edward

Bartender
I think it looks good as it is. Changing the knits is about 180 dollars total? Just me thinking out loud...

I'd agree. I had to look again at the photos to see what this is. I well understand how a small thing can prey on the mind, but I would be leery of sinking that much money on 'fixing' what seems to be purely a cosmetic issue. I don't think it looks 'bad' - tbh, I would have noticed it had it not been mentioned - YMMV, of course, @Bfd70 . It would at least be worth living with it for a while to see how it goes - could even be that with regular wear it disappears, either because you stop really noticing it, or because the jacket drapes differently with your wearing it often.

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
Great artwork.
Please remember to add hidden signature or just sign. Every artist needs to be credited for his/her own work!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GokhanB