Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A2s in your collection

andy richards

Practically Family
What a beautiful collection you have, Andrew. I don't have an A2 (or any flight jacket) but looking at your collection I would like to own one myself.
Congrats and thanks for sharing the pics with us!
Andy

Edward

Bartender
aswatland said:
Edward, Generally painted original A2s fetch more than plain ones. The quality of the painting and the subject itself help to determine the value. Paintings of scantily clag women are much sought after!

Ha, yes, I imagine so!

An A2 belonging to an ace will fetch a lot of money as will an early one from the 1930s as they are so rare these days due to the low number being issued to the USAC. Early Werber and Aero contracts were for hundreds of jackets rather than the tens of thousands in the of the large wartime contracts awarded to Rough Wear, Dubow and Aero for example.

Makes sense, rarity and provenance... I presume, by the same token, a jacket with a known history but which doesn't happen to have belonged to a particularly well known pilot / aircrew member would still carry a higher value than an otherwise identical jacket with no known history (other than that it is a geuine item)?

I have seen pictures of an A2 being worn beneath a B-3 but can't locate them at the moment.

Cool, I did wonder whether that happened. I imagine the B3 would have to be a touch larger to accomodate that.

aswatland

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Edward said:
Makes sense, rarity and provenance... I presume, by the same token, a jacket with a known history but which doesn't happen to have belonged to a particularly well known pilot / aircrew member would still carry a higher value than an otherwise identical jacket with no known history (other than that it is a geuine item)?

Yes, this is true as many high end collectors are after an A2 with a documented history.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IGDS