Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Eastman HLB A2 Review

yakima

One of the Regulars
A very good looking jacket.

Please, can I ask, what do you mean, Andrew, by a "plain jane" jacket?

Has Gary previously made it with extra decoration?

aswatland

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Thanks guys. The kwik zipper works very smoothly and is easier than the Hookless used on the Werber. "Plain Jane" means an unadorned jacket without artwork or insignia. Eastman launched the HLB a few years ago but as an Elite Unit jacket complete with a chest patch and CBI shoulder patches.

AdeeC

Practically Family
A great jacket like this is better plain and unadorned. Unless one has a very good reason to wear repro period patches, like for re-enactment, films etc, I believe it is rather bad form as they become just fashion accesories.

Last edited:

Bunyip

Call Me a Cab
That looks fantastic. I'm just starting to appreciate the A-2 jackets. That had some really great details. I like the zipper. That's looks like a great jacket full stop.

HPA Rep

Vendor
I was so impressed with Gary's HLB A2 that I took the plunge at Legends on 11th July. He had two size 44 jackets available and I chose the one with the most grain. This is the first plain A2 that ELC have released since the iconic 1933 Werber and it surpassed my expectations!

The original contract (37-3891-P) dates to 3rd March 1937 and only 375 were made. Gary has an original in his collection which was used to pattern his reproductions. The jacket has some unique features. The leading left edge of the waistband is jetted with a strip of leather. It is the only contract to be fitted with the Kwik no. 8 pin-lock zipper.

The same Italian horse hide is used on this jacket as is used for the revamped 1933 Werber. It is buttery with plenty of grain. The label is a perfect copy of the original and quite different from any other A2 labels. The bevelled corners of the pockets had not been used on previous contracts and reappeared in 1942 on Bronco and Sheeplined A2s.

The collar hook is sewn in by hand, with the male part set back and secured beneath the lining. The repro Kwik zip works flawlessly. The knits are tight and better than some of the earlier ones used by Eastman. All in all its a complete accurate copy of this rare contract.

It is a very comfortable jacket with plenty of room in the chest and shoulders. Here are some photos taken this morning.

Superb review and A-2, Andrew! Thank you for this significant update and contribution.

That tight knit you mention has been in wide use by Eastman since at least fall 2014; everything we've been getting has exactly what you described, which is about the tightest knit that I've seen anywhere, and tighter than any vintage knit I've handled, including NOS knit parts.

How do you find the slimmer cut of this A-2? You are still wearing a size 44, but do you perceive or see that it's slimmer than other styles such as Werber, etc.?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eve_grace