Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

A3 flying pants advice

dit dah

One of the Regulars
My visit, last week, to the small rural auction that yielded the huge USS Spearfish haul mentioned elsewhere also offered me the surprise purchase of a pair of US A3 sheepskin flying pants made by Rough Wear Clothing. The leather, sheepskin and suspenders are all in excellent condition, the only problem being with the zips which have had it. My questions are these:

Should I attempt to get the zips fixed and will this be difficult given the length and the fact that I haven't been able to find anyone to fix my Irvin zip yet in over a year?

Would it be worth it, value wise as they don't seem to fetch huge amounts of money?

Should I butcher them to patch me' Irvin?

Or should I simply take inspiration from H. Johnson's "early days" Irvin folly and chuck them in Sparky the dogs' basket as an early Christmas pressie?

Thet were owned and worn by by Lt. Raymond B Dolan, a navigator who flew 30 combat missions over Japan in B-29s for the 5th B Squadron 9th Bomb Grup (VH). This will not matter to Sparky as much as the basket warmth provided but it does seem a shame...

What do you all think?

Hopalong

One of the Regulars
dit dah,
I have a pair of WW II USN Sheepskin Flight Pants that are like in Near Mint if not unused condition that I'm asking $50 for plus shipping and I'm sure replacing the zippers in your USAAF flight pants would cost well over $50 for sure and that's if you could find someone to replace them, so unless you plan on wearing them I think I'd let Sparky have them for his bed.
Mike

dit dah

One of the Regulars
Thanks Mike, seems a shame to demote a historic garment to doggy bedding but Sparky will be well pleased, and asked me to pass on his thanks to you for your sage advice.

I'm sure Lt. Dolan wouldn't mind.

I thought I might have got more responses on this one, should have written the thread title as "let's talk about my new Aero jacket" I suppose ;)

aswatland

My Mail is Forwarded Here
dit dah said:
Thanks Mike, seems a shame to demote a historic garment to doggy bedding but Sparky will be well pleased, and asked me to pass on his thanks to you for your sage advice.

I'm sure Lt. Dolan wouldn't mind.

I thought I might have got more responses on this one, should have written the thread title as "let's talk about my new Aero jacket" I suppose ;)

You certainly would as many members seem to own an Aero rather than an original vintage jacket and hense the endless threads about Aero jackets. Those guys at Aero must relish all the publicity they get on the FL.lol

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
Mrrs. Dit and Da.

Sorry so late arriving-

May be able to help.

Could you explain exactly what the zip damage is please and which brand/s
you have on the trous'(?)...Talon, etc...brass/nickel, etc., etc.
And how much you money you would/not wish to spend on parts and repairs.

I'm sure many of us have zip "spare parts" and if all you need is parts,
maybe there's an economic solution to save this historic item,
which we can see, has more intrinsic and historic value than
actual monetary value. It would be nice to fbe able to fix them up and keep them without spending four times the original cost of the item on NOS or repro zips. Wouldn't it(?)

I have a good few spare, wartime American zips/parts, waiting for a home.
As, I'm sure many of us do.

B
T

Prof. Steampunk

New in Town
Myne are too small

I just recently bought a pair to hopefully wear as winter riding pants (I ride my Honda Shadow and sidecar almost every day to work and back), but they were one or two sizes too small. I can get them on, but can't bend. Hmmm, I've got a couple of regular pants like that in my closet, come to think of it LOL.

armypants.jpg

They're 40, according to tag, but even though they'll go over my 38-waist khaki pants and belt, I can't move. Been hoping to find a place to swap them for a larger pair because I love them. (I know, guys were smaller back then, especially flight crews, but dang it, I love these pants!!!).

Anyway, anyone knows anyone who wants to swap (or whatever) let me know. What size are yours? I have a guy that can put in the zippers, assuming I can find long enough zippers.

Edward

Bartender
It seems a shame to consign the trousers to the dog basket / patching duties if they're in otherwise excellent shape, especially given that they have a known history, though at the same time I can understand you not wanting to spend over the odds on zips. Shame these trousers aren't more highly valued... I can understand there being fewer folks wanting to wear them than the jackets, hence lack of repros, and that cutting the value a bit, but I'd have thought they'd have been valued a bit more by collectors. Or is this one of those cases where they'd be worth much more partnered with the original jacket with which they were issued? I'd keep hunting for an original set of NOS zips - or even a half decent repro, especially if you're able to do the sewing yourself. [huh]

aswatland said:
You certainly would as many members seem to own an Aero rather than an original vintage jacket and hense the endless threads about Aero jackets. Those guys at Aero must relish all the publicity they get on the FL.lol

:eek:fftopic: Oddly enough, I was just idly wondering this morning what proportion of Aero's (or, for that matter, Eastman's) custom comes from this site in particular.... or other sites in general (though I imagine the VLJ has mixed opinions on the subject of repros? I tried to join that once to learn from, but I couldn't get in.... they mustn't have wanted me! lol ). I think this is one of the few fields of collecting I've come across where repros are often more desired than the originals. Probably down to size issues in part, though I think for a lot of folks it's simply the case that they wouldn't want to wear and thus risk ruining a piece of history, and can't justify owning something they won't wear. [huh]

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran