Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

AAAAH!

I don't know if the guy wearing it knows if he is coming or going. :p It is obvious his fashion sense is going. ;)
Those ships make me cross-eyed. I wonder if the jacket would do the same.
If you compare the run of the mill citizen to a hobo; the hobos of old would be dressed better. :p Let's face it.

Regards to all,

J

Mycroft

One Too Many
The Mad Hatter said:
You gentlemen fail to understand clothing such as this. It is actually quite military.

There exists something known as "scatter camouflage," which makes the observed object not difficult to detect but rather difficult to figure out. All the old pictures of battleships with criss-cross tweed type patterns painted on them are illustrations of scatter camouflage.

In today's highly charged urban environment, many individuals feel the need for scatter camouflage outfits. The observer, while watching you walk down the street decked out in this outfit, would be unable to obtain accurate bearings of your speed or postion. This would allow you to outmaneuver him.

Obviously this is the purpose of such garb.

Its World War I personal protectuion from u-boats.

Wild Root

Gone Home
Yes, yes.

You know, if Books Bro's is going to make crap like this, why the Hell not make a real good looking Belted back suit??? I'm SURE they'll sell more of those then this Tacky Tartan Tog!

Root.

wackyvorlon

One of the Regulars
GOTT IN HIMMEL! I'm bliiiiinnnnnddd!!!! Ack! Can't you give a warning or something before springing that on a guy?!

I really have a hard time understanding the madness that has gripped modern fashion. It seems there has been a desire to completely discard everything learned over the past six thousand years or so. That jacket is a shivaree in suit form! Absolutely horrifying.

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
carpecaligo said:
Have you ever seen them? They're generally better dressed than your run-o-the mill citizen.

Agreed, the show actually has some merrit, so does What Not to Wear. The Fab five are a plus in my book as they show men how to wear a tie and get out of the ruddy old, "I just walked out of Damnation Ally" look.

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
Abercrombie is not preppie, it's tattered collegiate.

The preppie style that is coming back is the ivy league look which you could try to associate to the 20's, though the outfits that are being produced like the patchwork madras jacket are more of a throwback to the 60's style that was very establishment. Narrow ties, and sack suits.

The madras Jacket is from my recolection very casual and they were for the summer and worn with shorts. The kind of jacket you wear when hanging out with a coconut straw hat wearing Bing Crosby who is trying to offer you nice cool glass of OJ.
Don't wear it with a tie and for Oden's sake don't wear it with wool pants.

I am not one to wear a jacket with shorts, though the jacket is a revivalist look.

The Mad Hatter

A-List Customer
Brooks Brothers is not alone in its Madras offerings.

You can get this from Orvis:

madras.jpg

There are many other Orvis Madras offerings:

http://www.orvis.com/store/search_results.asp?keyword=madras&refine=3&nav=10002&sort=0

flat-top

My Mail is Forwarded Here
The preppie look IS back in a big way. I work in a store, and this spring is all about pinks,greens and argyle--haven't seen any madras yet. Some of it, if paired with vintage pieces, actually looks pretty cool.
flat-top

Fuente

Familiar Face
Patchwork Madras

It's back for sure. With the renewed interest in Tartans for Fall '05 Madras was sure to follow.

I've got it selected for slacks and shorts for Spring '06. Our clothing VP will offer one in a sport coat as well.

Rich :cool2:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot