Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Abercrombie & Fitch Tents

JRB

New in Town
A local listing is selling a tent for a gentleman in his 90's. He told them it's a pre-WWI safari tent. I don't know what a safari tent is and neither do the people selling it. All they say is that it's in a bag, is OD, has poles, and the bag has Abercrombie & Fitch on it. They apparently don't want to open it to inspect it and don't have any pictures. Before I go ahead and take a trip to see it, I'd like know if they made tents for the military in WWI and WWII?. Thanks.

Jack

Richard Warren

Practically Family
They were I understand complete outfitters. I had some relatives who had a duck hunting camp which I was told was bought (including the buildings) from them. High quality stuff.

JRB

New in Town
Thanks for the reply. That's what I read about too. I just haven't found out if they made the tents for the military. I have a WWI flying helmet with their name stamped on the back, so I know they did make other items for the military.

Jack

MPicciotto

Practically Family
Keep us posted. I'm on the hunt myself for a US Army Officers Small Wall tent for my Chaplain impression. Haven't found one yet, except some repops that are around a GRAND!

Matt

DannyBoy

New in Town
JRB said:
Thanks for the reply. That's what I read about too. I just haven't found out if they made the tents for the military. I have a WWI flying helmet with their name stamped on the back, so I know they did make other items for the military.

Jack
Similarly, a while back I saw a WWII officer's coat tailored by them, but have never seen any equipment with them as the maker, not to say though that they didn't. It seems highly plausible that considering how large of an outdoors company they were back then that the military may have made contracts with them during the wars, but that's just conjecture on my part. [huh]

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
At one time we had what was either a Span-Am or a WWI Abercrombie & Fitch tent. It was in very poor condition (very fragile fabric with lots of damage) and had no poles, so we never got it completely set up. From what I remember, it was the WWI bell style tent, I think it might have even had a floor but I am not certain. Beautiful khaki color! It may be the same thing these people have.

A&F did make tons of stuff for the military, so it is definitely worth taking a look.

JRB

New in Town
Thanks for all your input. Fortworthgal, I'm not familiar with the bell style tent you mentioned. She asked me to call her and it appears she's very limited in her time. I'll let you know what happens.
Jack

JRB

New in Town
I took a friend along to look at the tent last night. We had to lay it out on the front yard by the lamp post since it was after 7:00 PM. It was only OD on the flooring and a light khaki on the rest of it. Looks like it was about 8 ft. X 8 ft. and is a 2-man tent. Thefront flap that can be lifted and used as a porch roof. We didn't set it up, but it looks like all 4 sides are probably angled. It had the Abercrombie and Fitch label on it. The quality is good, and the only wear are the torn bug screens, which can be fixed. It's not something I can use in reenacting. However, I think it would be good for someone doing a civilian role such as Civilian Defense, Civilian Conservation Corp, etc.

Thanks again for all your input.

Jack

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy