"Accouterments" Spelling Discussions

Discussion in 'General Attire & Accoutrements' started by Cobden, May 26, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MisterCairo

MisterCairo I'll Lock Up

:eeek:Ah yes, the modern proclivity to grant acceptability to the incorrect. L'Academie francaise must be thrilled beyond "mots" that no less an authority than "Websters" has approved 'accouterments'.
    Mon dieu!

2. Derek WC

Derek WC Banned

Interesting, I've never noticed.

3. Miss Neecerie

Miss Neecerie I'll Lock Up

seeing as how we are not in France nor is the board written in French....L'Acadamie really has no bearing on the discussion.

Discussion of how different varieties of English spell this -borrowed- word, sure....but how it differs from the actual French word...not germane to any discussion.

And honestly...this whole discussion is about as fruitful as sitting here arguing center vs centre.....there is no 100% correct answer unless you involve a location in the equation.

Once you involve that location (i.e. This board was created in the US), then either variation of Accoutrements and how one spells it is correct.

4. bunnyb.gal

bunnyb.gal Practically Family

Would one pronounce the word then, "a-cooter-mahnts"?

Think I'll plop onto my "chaise lounge" and try to figure this one out...:couch2:

5. MisterCairo

MisterCairo I'll Lock Up

If the discussion is not fruitful, then why are you participating in it?

Also, you have clearly missed one very important point (a point I have not failed to notice that you miss frequently, Miss), and that is that my original post was very much tongue in cheek, meant in a spirit of humour, and NOT to actually enforce the dictates of L'Academie, and that perhaps you could, in the vernacular of North America and part of Britain, CHILL!

Last edited: Jun 15, 2011
  6. MisterCairo

MisterCairo I'll Lock Up

I can see no other way to pronounce it as written. "English" is a funny language, isn't it?:)

7. JimWagner

JimWagner Practically Family

:pop2:

8. RobStC

RobStC A-List Customer

I'm probably going to regret this.....:eusa_doh:

As we are (sort of!) discussing the bastardisation and debasement of the noble French language ;):p, could I point out (purely out of devilment lol) that actually it's called a 'chaise longue'.....

:behindsofa:

9. MisterCairo

MisterCairo I'll Lock Up

^^^Rob, let's get a really good debate going on the pronunciation of your hometown (and my maternal grandfather's) "Edinburgh".....

10. Is that pronounced "devilmahnts"?

11. Bruce Wayne

Bruce Wayne My Mail is Forwarded Here

This has been addressed previously. I would suggest searching this forum.

12. Yes, been round this one before. OED doesn't list it even as an Americanism. Even Webster only gives it vague synonym status.

I actually enjoy language fluidity, particularly in spelling. So long as people understand what you mean, na'a'mean guv?

bk

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.