Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

"Accouterments" Spelling Discussions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Havana

One of the Regulars
Boy howdy! You folks sure got some powerful book learnin. I's in awe of yall. ;) Silliness aside, proper spoken and written language is always something to aspire to. Occasionally, we all need help along the path.

jake_fink said:
I can't think of a dictionary without thinking of these fine gentlemen:

sJohnson_joshReynolds.jpg

I'm in agreement with anyone who's with Johnson :cheers1:

bk

p.s. OED (the only dictionary worth talking about; all the words that are fit to print) lists accoutrement but no accouterment. This is most certainly an Americanism and, like aluminum, would be improper anywhere else. Since this forum is hosted in the USA, i'd say the gent is fine in his spelling.

wackyvorlon

One of the Regulars
Okay, applause for knowing onomasticon:eusa_clap

Webster's is unreliable in it's modern incarnation, containing many neologisms. I always prefer an older dictionary, and one that is more conservative. If I should ever see a word such as 'gustnado' in my lexicon, I fear I would descend into a rabid fit.

As an aside: Anyone notice the recent mangling of latin by Vice President Mr. Cheney?

silhouette53

One of the Regulars

Here's a quote I saw once and always remembered. I can't recall to whom it was attributed though.

"I never made but one grammatical error in my life, and I seen it when I done it and I taken it back"

lol lol lol

clevispin

One of the Regulars
ACCOUTERMENT smells bad

There is an alternate spelling for "accouterment" and that is "ACCOUTREMENT". This other spelling is more elegant. Accouterment sounds like Cooter and the only accesories he had were covered in axle grease. Please consider this proposal.

Thanks.

m

Viola

Call Me a Cab
cooter.jpg

Wait jus' a dang ol' second here why we talkin' dirt about good ol' Crazy Cooter? Ain't he been a fine 'n' true pal to you 'n' me?

Harp

I'll Lock Up
Weegee

:eek:fftopic: Just want to say the child is precious,
what a great spontaneous moment caught on film...:eusa_clap :eusa_clap

WEEGEE

Practically Family
precious

Harp...thank you
:eek:fftopic: Always waiting for the next precocious and precious thing she

will do. She is 3 1/2 going on sage.lol

most regards,

WeeGee (Michael)

culp

New in Town
Spelling Pedantry -Accouterments

Erm,

Look chaps I'm a bit of a duffer when it comes to spelling my self but is this a transatlantic spelling of the word we English spell as accoutrements? I believe it derives from the French verb accoustrer to equip.

Sorry to be a pedant but good spelling = good form and all that
:eek:
Culp

Warbaby

One Too Many
That spelling of accoutrements has bothered me ever since I joined the Lounge, but I held my tongue because I thought it was just one of those American things that might be correct in a few counties south of the Mason-Dixon line.

(Disclaimer: I may be overly sensitive to questionable spelling - I was one of those kids who always won the spelling bees in school.)

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
Warbaby said:
That spelling of accoutrements has bothered me ever since I joined the Lounge

Ditto. Just because it can be spelled differently doesn't mean it should be...;)

C'est la vie...

Cheers,
JtL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran