Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Admiral Byrd from Aero

BladeSmith

New in Town
Hello all,

My name is Fuad Accawi. I am a Bladesmith by trade. I was recently featured in a T.V. production for a History type channel. I wanted an exceptional jacket for protection in the Arizona Desert and settled on an Aero. We were in the heat, cold, dust, and rain (oddly enough) and I believe that I was the most comfortable person there all week. I'm going to try and post a picture. The jacket looks like it has been dragged behind a tank up-close. I was really impressed with the work Aero did for me, and with some small modifications they performed later on.
Cheers,
Fuad Accawi
pilot9-1.jpg

Creeping Past

One Too Many
BladeSmith said:
exceptional jacket for protection in the Arizona Desert and settled on an Aero.

Now, please tell me the shooter is also just for protection!:eek:

I'm looking forward to seeing close-ups of that jacket.

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Welcome to the Lounge.

That's a great jacket :D , tell us more about it and the model please :eusa_clap Also what historical documentary were you involved in?

(PS: Had to remove the website URL as it contains a commercial/sales element - sorry ).

BladeSmith

New in Town
RE: Close up Admiral Byrd

At the moment I am not really allowed to make any disclosures about where it will appear, and the exact premise. It's been in post production for a couple of months, and should be nearing completion. It is more edu-tainment than real history. I got to do a lot of nifty things though. As to the research on the Byrd coat, all I could find was a single good photo for Aero to work from. I will try to get a few detailed photos of mine posted soon.
Cheers,
Fuad Accawi
admiralbyrd.jpg

47b7cc20b3127cce98548e84fae100000027102CYsWLhwyY4.jpeg

47b7cc20b3127cce98548e94faf100000027102CYsWLhwyY4.jpeg

47b7cc20b3127cce98548ec6faa300000027102CYsWLhwyY4.jpeg

47b7cc20b3127cce98548ecafaaf00000027102CYsWLhwyY4.jpeg

The oxen are slow, but the Earth is patient.

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
I'm guessing you had Aero copy this '40s model...
A very collectible model.
We await your photos of the Aero-made job...

I'm guessing also that Paddy removed the link to violetvillevintage,
where more images of that original are

Nice choice-

B
T

1911 Man

A-List Customer
Welcome to the lounge!! That is an outstanding Jacket. The Barrett looks pretty kick a** too. I own an Aero 1940 A2 and love it, with plans to order a Barnstormer this year, they make such great jackets. I'd love a few more pics of yours. Is the hide FQHH or a lighter flight jacket hide? What is it lined with? What is it like wearing leather in the desert, was Indiana Jones really insane, or does it offer decent heat protection?
Cheers!

BladeSmith

New in Town
Re: Boots

Great Boots,

I think the boots are the best you can get anywhere. They are 18" Jobmaster boots from West Coast Shoe dot com. I don't know if mentioning them breaks any rules. If it does you can email me for a link. They have online forms, but they also do custom work, and work from your measurements. They are made in the USA. I have had that pair for twelve years, and have had them re-soled five times with vibram gumlite.

Cheers,
Fuad

Jacob Dubow

Familiar Face
John,

Yes, the gun in the first photo is a Barrett 82A1/107 semi-auto rifle that fires the .50 cal. BMG cartridge.

The weapon mounted to the motorcyle sidecar is one of the most feared firearms of WWII by Allied troops.......that being the German MG42 medium weight machinegun. It has an astronomical cyclic fire rate in certain configurations and was an awesome foe to confront during combat. Here is a link to more info on it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MG42

Ted

John Lever

One Too Many
Jacob Dubow said:
John,

Yes, the gun in the first photo is a Barrett 82A1/107 semi-auto rifle that fires the .50 cal. BMG cartridge.

The weapon mounted to the motorcyle sidecar is one of the most feared firearms of WWII by Allied troops.......that being the German MG42 medium weight machinegun. It has an astronomical cyclic fire rate in certain configurations and was an awesome foe to confront during combat. Here is a link to more info on it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MG42

Ted
Thanks Ted, I thought I have seen that dished out stock somewhere before. Great photos by the way.
I have a friend who is an ex-Royal Marine commando. He tells me the big sniper rifle is not designed for shooting people, but rather for engine blocks and radar antennae.

BladeSmith

New in Town
Re: Indiana Jones and the Barrett

Hi All,
The Byrd jacket is Heavy Front Quarter Horse Hide in the vintage finish. I felt very comfortable in the early morning and late at night, and only relatively warm at 75+ deg F. days. I had taken it off at one point in the noon day sun wearing a navy t-shirt and decided to put my Aero back on after about 30 mins. I was lucky enough to be caught in the desert during one of the worst downpours they've reportedly had in 15 years. There were people huddled everywhere in their Land's End stuff trying to dry out and stay warm. After about two Hours of steady rain I reached into my Aero to feel my shoulder to see if any water had made it through and I was still dry as tinder. The Rifle is a Barrett 50 cal. It was mounted with the improved digital scope. Had the chance to fire it with Ball, and A.P. rounds. I was told by the S.F. guys that the 50cal. is a hard target sniper rifle,and wouldn't typically be used against a human target. The sound and recoil are awe-inspiring to say the least. If you find yourself close to the muzzle break MOVE unless you like seeing stars. In one photo we're getting ready to mount a Dillon Aero mini gun- a clone of the Vietnam era G.E. gun. There's a reason they call it The voice of Allah. The German machine gun was a working model until it was plugged. The bike is a Ural and that camoflaged one belonged to the Ural dealer in Phoenix.
-My wife's going to kick me if I don't go and tend my forge!
Cheers,
Fuad Accawi

BladeSmith

New in Town
RE: Close up Admiral Byrd

Hello All,

Here are more detailed photos of the Admiral Byrd Jacket that Aero built for
Me. I had two modifications made after I got back home. I had two inside
breast pockets added, and I had the belt loops changed. The original loops
allowed the belt to droop in back and I kept getting hung up with it. The
new ones lay flat and there are two extra that help it stay close to the body.
I would really like to have one in seal brown goatskin also. I would have it
made with zippered cuffs and longer sleeves- mine ride up on my arms a bit
when motorcycling. I want to mention a lady at Aero named Amanda. She
was very patient, helpful, and went out of her way for me.

Cheers,
Fuad

100_0510.jpg

100_0511.jpg

100_0512.jpg

100_0513.jpg

100_0514.jpg

100_0516.jpg

100_0517.jpg

100_0518.jpg

commuter.jpeg

Commuting to work atop a Pinzgauer will quickly break in your Jacket

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
Great first posts, Bladesmith. Not only a sharp looking jacket but cool vehicles and firearms as well! And those boots are nice too.

HDRnR

A-List Customer
John Lever said:
Thanks Ted, I thought I have seen that dished out stock somewhere before. Great photos by the way.
I have a friend who is an ex-Royal Marine commando. He tells me the big sniper rifle is not designed for shooting people, but rather for engine blocks and radar antennae.

It does a hell of a job on people tho...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo