Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Adventure bags - market test

Alan Eardley

One Too Many
Baron Kurtz said:
ha ha, the horrors of trying to sell multiple items at once. I find that just one item will get my PM box overflowing.

bk

BK,

Yes, if I had foreseen this problem, I would taken measures to restrict demand. Like making a profit.

I think it's strange that this PM problem seems to be selective. We seem to have been PMing each other regularly without problems recently.

Alan

AlanC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Alan Eardley said:
Yes, if I had foreseen this problem, I would taken measures to restrict demand. Like making a profit.

Well, I for one am glad you didn't resort to such an extreme. ;)

Really, thanks a lot for offering these up, Alan. I'm really looking forward to getting my bag.

Rufus

Practically Family
My bag's just arrived!

It's great..just like the one I had as a kid..except less smelly!

Thank you so much to Alan, for your generousity in offering these. look forward to buying you a pint at some point at a FL event...!

Kind regards,

Rufus... humming Indiana Jones tune... today, I'm 8 years old again... ;-)

Leading Edge

One of the Regulars
Alan Eardley said:
Thanks AlanC

I am back now. My inbox overflowed again while I was away, but that doesn't explain why some people seem to be receiving PMs from me and some don't. As I said in a previous post, there were many more applications than I have bags, so many are going to be disappointed.

I sent PMs to Leading Edge and Rondo Hatton on Sunday. Based on a 'first PM received, first served' system neither of you made it onto the list, sorry.

So far about half of the bags have been dealt with. In case the others 'on the list' have been trying to PM me while my box was full I will PM them tonight. If they don't want bags or I don't hear from them by Sunday, I will pass their bags on to the people who didn't quite make it on to the list.

Alan

I still haven't heard anything since 7/28!

Luck of the Draw

Alan Eardley said:
I sent PMs to Leading Edge and Rondo Hatton on Sunday. Based on a 'first PM received, first served' system neither of you made it onto the list, sorry.
PM not received?
Hey, I got to step up and take a chance! Thank you no matter what, we still love you madly...
(please try to PM again if cancellation/list position allow!)

Alan Eardley

One Too Many
Missing PMs

I can't explain, other than the fact that I had to send over 50 'bad luck' PMs on that day and mistakes happen. I've cleared my 'sent' box, so I can't check if any missing messages are in there.

In response to the many people who have asked if I can get more bags. I can, these bags are common enough in the UK, but I'm surely going to get involved in anything like this again...

Alan

AlanC

My W&G unissued bag arrived today, just over a week after Alan shipped it out. I'm thrilled with it, and now have to figure out which leather strap to buy.

Thanks, Alan!

Here's a pic:

img7211ev2.jpg

carter

I'll Lock Up
I have four of the original WWII British Gas Mask bags (see the photo on this thread). They are all veteran bags. I'll sell three of them for $30.00 each plus shipping. If you're interested please PM me. Carter

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
For those in London and the SE who missed out-

There's an Army Surplus shop in Brighton; Paul Bruton Army Surplus, who used to have bundles of gas mask satchels-
I bought a couple from him in the late '90s.
It seems the shop is still there-

Paul Bruton Army Surplus
45 New England Road
Brighton East Sussex BN1 4GG
Tel: 01273 671919

Maybe HBK will have to trot up the hill and down the other side and nab one.

B
T

Alan Eardley

One Too Many
BellyTank said:
There's an Army Surplus shop in Brighton; Paul Bruton Army Surplus, who used to have bundles of gas mask satchels-
I bought a couple from him in the late '90s.
It seems the shop is still there-

Paul Bruton Army Surplus
45 New England Road
Brighton East Sussex BN1 4GG
Tel: 01273 671919

Maybe HBK will have to trot up the hill and down the other side and nab one.

B
T

BT

There is no shortage of these bags (with possible exception of the Mark VI and Canadian versions). The problem is sporadic supply, possibly due to 'rationing' by the company that had the 'surplus' contract with the MOD.

It's a matter of going around a lot of surplus shops (which I like to do anyway) and sometimes - bingo! They have a rack, shelf or box of unissued bags. Happened to me last week. What puzzles me more is that among these 'new' bags there are often bags that have seen service. The probable answer, I feel, is that they are bags that were taken back into store when hostilities ended or when the new lightweight respirator and bag was issued in '44. All I can say is the guys who handed them in didn't foresee Inidana Jones or the potential of eBay...

Alan

Alan Eardley

One Too Many
One of our straps is missing...

I promised to include a leather strap (CETME rifle) with some of the bags that were more used, and it seems I have accidentally put the strap I intended to go to Scotrace in someone else's bag. So, if you have received a leather strap and it wasn't mentioned in the emails we exchanged, please PM me.

I have given Scotrace a partial refund, but I'm sure he'd appreciate getting his strap.

Alan

AlanC

Don't worry about it--he won't cut the original strap off! lol

(joking of course--not meaning to interfere with Alan's call for the strap above)

Alan Eardley

One Too Many
Mark VI and VII straps

As an aside, a good alternative to removing the original canvas strap permanently from a Mark VII (and some early Mark VIs) is to fit the brass clip that was used on most late Mark VIs, from which the strap was removeable. (Scotrace's bag is an early model with a fixed strap).

It looks like this and is 'authentic':
brass-clip.jpg

I know a shop that has some in stock.

Alan

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Alan Eardley said:
I promised to include a leather strap (CETME rifle) with some of the bags that were more used, and it seems I have accidentally put the strap I intended to go to Scotrace in someone else's bag. So, if you have received a leather strap and it wasn't mentioned in the emails we exchanged, please PM me.

It looks like this, Person Who Got It By Mistake:

IMG_7229.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vladyslav