Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Adventure bags - market test

Alan Eardley

One Too Many
Some time ago I sought to do some stateside guys on another forum a favour by obtaining WW2 Mark VI and VII respirator cases ('Indiana Jones bags') on request. Seems they are rare in the US, but turn up in surplus stores in the UK.

The deal was that the guys told me what they wanted, I got it from the supplier and sold it to them at what it cost me plus shipping. I didn't add anything for my effort or travel. Well (you can see where this is going to) a number of 'gentlemen' ordered but never paid or replied. So I have a box of bags, mainly in Grade 1 or unissued condition, including a couple by W&G (1932) Ltd., that need good homes. There are a few 'used but serviceable' ones.

I could put them on eBay (the demand is still there), but I thought I'd see if there is any interest in them from forum members first. If there is, I'll post specific details here. Again, I'm not seeking to make money out of this. The bags usually cost me between 10 and 15 GBP depending on rarity and condition and that's what I will be asking, plus actual shipping. Normally they sell online (e.g. SoF) for 30 GBP+.

Alan

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Alan, PM SENT.

Alan, PM sent re an NOS 30's one. Just in case your mail box was full of fan mail (that wouldn't surprise me;) ).

Regards,

Alan Eardley

One Too Many
Thanks gents. A queue (line) has formed. I'll count how many bags I have and allocate them in order of PM, best condition first. As I say, I'm going to charge what I paid for them plus shipping, so I'll need to get a few shipping quotes on Monday. The used ones (some are modified by having internal compartments taken out and/or have marks on them) I paid 10 GBP for, the unissued or NOS ones (remember they have been in storage for over 60 years) I paid 15 or 20 GBP for. I made a note of what I paid for each bag and that's what the buyer will pay. When I've matched a bag to a PM, I'll get my boy to take a couple of photos of the bag and send it to the prospective purchaser, who can then tell me if he or she wants it.

Thanks

Alan

Alan Eardley

One Too Many
PADDY said:
Alan, PM sent re an NOS 30's one. Just in case your mail box was full of fan mail (that wouldn't surprise me;) ).

Regards,

Paddy

That would be a Mark VI, the Mk VII came in in 1942. Yes, I know, lots of Battle of Britain re-enactors carry them. Let's not go there... I have two MKVIs. One is a British bag in 'used but serviceable' condition and the other is Canadian (a Maple), not quite NOS but Grade 1. If you are familar with the Canadian bags they are different from the British bags. Same pattern, but they are almost white. Many people don't like them. Just thought you should know that. I'll send a photo when I can persuade my som to take one. He does it with his 'phone, I believe. That's incredible. Why would anyone want a 'phone that takes photographs? He also uses it to tell the time. He doesn't carry a watch. Sometimes I think the world has gone mad...

Alan

Alan Eardley

One Too Many
cookie said:
what are they? Please post a pix?

The 'Case, Box Respirator' of WW2. Gas mask bag. People want 'em 'cos Indiana Jones carries one in the movies. It's a shoulder bag. Like this:
MKVII.jpg

Alan

Alan Eardley

One Too Many
Gas mask bags

No more PMs please|! Somewhat embarassingly, I have had more requests than I expected - more than I have bags in fact, so some people are going to be disappointed. Sorry, but I only have so many bags and as I didn't want to make money on this I won't use a high price or an auction to limit demand. I just need more room for shoes...

With hindsight perhaps I should have sold them one at a time. As I said, I have sorted the bags into 'best first' order based on condition and type and I have a list of PMs in order of arrival. I will match the list and send a few pictures, a decription and a price to the person whose PM matches that bag. If that person then tells me that they want it, I will get a shipping quote and payment can be arranged. If the person doesn't want 'their' bag, I will offer it to the next person on the list. I can't think of a fairer method.

All bags are offered at cost to me. Where a bag is at the tail end of the list (i.e. in marked, used or altered condition) it will be cheaper and I will add something to make up the value such as a leather strap. I will notify everyone I do not have a bag for when this process is over.

Alan

AlanC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Alan,

Your Inbox is full so I couldn't respond to your PM. The pic you sent looks great. Just let me know how much on shipping.

Thanks!

Rufus

Practically Family
Inbox full!

I'd love to buy one/

I'm in london, as soon as I have a total, i'll pay you Sir!

Kind regards, rufus

Alan Eardley

One Too Many
Inbox full

Sorry about that. I've been inundated with requests. No more please!
I have cleared out my in-box now, so if I asked you for confirmation you should be able to send it.

I allocated the bags in the list to the people who sent their PMs first and notified the people concerned, and also the people who did not quite make it. If anyone on the list doesn't want 'their' bag please let me know ASAP so I can offer it to a 'reserve'.

Alan

Alan Eardley

One Too Many
If you PM'd me and haven't heard anything back from me - either that you are 'on the list' or not, plsease PM me again. If I haven't heard from someone to whom I offered a bag by the nxt week-end, I will have to assume that person doecn't want the bag and offer it to the next on the list.

Alan

AlanC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Alan Eardley indicated to me he would be away for a couple of days, so his box likely has filled in his absence.

Alan Eardley

One Too Many
Thanks AlanC

I am back now. My inbox overflowed again while I was away, but that doesn't explain why some people seem to be receiving PMs from me and some don't. As I said in a previous post, there were many more applications than I have bags, so many are going to be disappointed.

I sent PMs to Leading Edge and Rondo Hatton on Sunday. Based on a 'first PM received, first served' system neither of you made it onto the list, sorry.

So far about half of the bags have been dealt with. In case the others 'on the list' have been trying to PM me while my box was full I will PM them tonight. If they don't want bags or I don't hear from them by Sunday, I will pass their bags on to the people who didn't quite make it on to the list.

Alan

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elzbthy