Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Adventure! Fedora Lounge Folks in Action!

Gro

New in Town
Thank you for the nice welcome!

StraightEight said:
Indiana Jones photos-very clever. More information is needed on "Adventure weekend II & III." What is that?

Oh, it's what we decided to call our mainly Indy-inspiered weekends, and with we I mean the club I'm in called Film heroes club(in Danish Filmheltenes klub). Since it is not ment to be entirely Indy-summits, because we do other stuff than crack a bullwhip all day and not everyone collects the Indy wear, it became the Danish Adventure Weekend(DAW). Been on two out of three now :3

Cool you guys now a lot about Indy wear, but of course it's the time setting in the movies that makes some of the charm. I hope to collect and create a great female adventure look, it is actually too bad there is nearly none other than Lara Croft out there.

PADDY and Blackthorn; Very nice photos, looks like a lovely autumn evening with the dogs Paddy. And boy a lot of exiting places you visited blackthorn. What was your favourite? The Egyptian travel looks so exiting and very different from anything I've done. How did you find the cultural differences?

PADDY said:
Up in the Scottish Borders (so the Northern Border country between the North of England and Southeast of Scotland . :)

But those pics of Egypt and Israel, Turkey..etc, are giving me such itchy feet again!

Second that :) And funny thing is I've planned a hiking/roundtrip to Scotland with my friend next summer, so tell me anything about it!

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
Here's some shots from about 11 years ago in Wyoming. Im in the black hat:

cominin2.jpg

cominin.jpg

scan0055.jpg

portrait.jpg

Blackthorn

I'll Lock Up
Gro said:
PADDY and Blackthorn; Very nice photos, looks like a lovely autumn evening with the dogs Paddy. And boy a lot of exiting places you visited blackthorn. What was your favourite? The Egyptian travel looks so exiting and very different from anything I've done. How did you find the cultural differences?
Thank you Gro, I love it all, but Israel has been my favorite, after reading the Christian Bible and then getting to see where so many events happened. And Jericho is thought by many to be the oldest city in the world, (at least 7,000 BC) so Israel has more millennia of history to it. Megiddo, for instance, has an altar that shows some 2 different civilizations, and also dates back to 7,000 BC, even though it was abandoned in 586 BC. Egypt is ancient, too, and the archaeology takes it back many thousands of years.

The cultural differences are enormous, but they are all part of the adventure. One does have to be careful of dangerous gaps in culture, but with a little homework before each trip it works out.

Gro

New in Town
Amazing... I wonder if I will ever be able to go there. Lately I read about the old Petra in Jordan, and about the exodus from Egypt to Israel and I would like to go there, definitely. It's true, with a bit of studying beforehand meeting a new culture will be much enjoyed and less catastrophal. I loved coming to Japan and feel the things were just as I prepared for, wonderful different and both crazy difficult and beautiful at the same time(returning to Denmark gave me a bit of a cultural shock though). Luckily I studied some Japanese too, it's always a huge advantage to know some words and phrases.

@Scottyrocks Looks very cool :3 One should go horse riding more often, I secretly damn being stuck in this urban area of Denmark.

Blackthorn

I'll Lock Up
Gro said:
Amazing... I wonder if I will ever be able to go there. Lately I read about the old Petra in Jordan, and about the exodus from Egypt to Israel and I would like to go there, definitely. It's true, with a bit of studying beforehand meeting a new culture will be much enjoyed and less catastrophal. I loved coming to Japan and feel the things were just as I prepared for, wonderful different and both crazy difficult and beautiful at the same time(returning to Denmark gave me a bit of a cultural shock though). Luckily I studied some Japanese too, it's always a huge advantage to know some words and phrases.
Yes, I love picking up words and phrases of places I travel. It's fun for me and that's good enough, but I also get a kick out of making folks smile when they hear their own words coming out of a foreigner's mouth. I learned how to say "excuse me, sorry" in Mandarin, and it got a lot of smiles when I used it. And saying "thank you" in Arabic goes a long way, I've found.

I always wanted to see Japan, until I went to New Delhi, India. I was so blown away at how bad the air quality was there, I got emotionally depressed by it, and then someone told me Tokyo is even worse. Wow, that took care of that agenda!

HepKitty

One Too Many
Blackthorn said:
And saying "thank you" in Arabic goes a long way, I've found.

:eek:fftopic: "thank you" in any language. My rule is that if I learn nothing else in the language, I have to learn that. I was such a pain to the guy working at the youth hostel in Prague because I kept asking him over and over, but by the end of the week I finally got it. I love Prague and had an easy time there because I speak German. Some of the older people didn't speak English but they spoke German, so there was no one I couldn't communicate with, and they all looked a little surprised when I could thank them in Czech. And 14 years later I still remember what it is. Just don't ask me to spell it. "Choukrane" I know because I like Middle Eastern food and some cultural aspects, and have some friends from that area.

PS I did verify in a dictionary that what he taught me does indeed mean "thank you"

Blackthorn

I'll Lock Up
HepKitty said:
:eek:fftopic: "thank you" in any language. My rule is that if I learn nothing else in the language, I have to learn that.
You are very wise, HepKitty. That's the first thing I learn, too, and it really makes for good dealings with people. Another thing I want to learn right off the bat is "I don't understand." That comes in all too handy, I've found.

I was such a pain to the guy working at the youth hostel in Prague because I kept asking him over and over, but by the end of the week I finally got it. I love Prague and had an easy time there because I speak German. Some of the older people didn't speak English but they spoke German, so there was no one I couldn't communicate with, and they all looked a little surprised when I could thank them in Czech. And 14 years later I still remember what it is. Just don't ask me to spell it. "Choukrane" I know because I like Middle Eastern food and some cultural aspects, and have some friends from that area.

PS I did verify in a dictionary that what he taught me does indeed mean "thank you"
That is also wise, because folks around the world love a good joke on the newcomers to their country. I like to ask for confirmation from those who have no connection with the ones who first give me a translation. It can't hurt! A friend of mine was given a phrase to use in Japanese, and didn't put it to the test, and it was indeed a big hit. He was saying "Hello, my name is Mark, and I'm gay." (he wasn't, it was a joke pulled on him by his Japanese friends) It did serve as an icebreaker, and got folks laughing, but I'd rather be sure of what I'm saying.

Blackthorn

I'll Lock Up
I got to visit India in 2005

a few odd pics from the trip:

I'm in the baseball cap (Yes, not very retro...I hadn't discovered fedoras yet):
India2005254.jpg

a bunch of Indian men on their way to work:
India2005213.jpg

the sacred cows are everywhere:
India2005012.jpg

Gilboa

One of the Regulars
Rösti!

Once upon a time ...

Having grown up in Switzerland, I am naturally fond of the wild and breathtakingly imposing mountains.

These photos are quite old so forgive the grainy quality.

The most memorable 'adventure':
apiq39.jpg

It is not just the view that is so very beautiful; it is the freedom when you stand on the top. The crispy clean and clear air, no sounds apart from the wind cutting the stone, your mind opens up and all the cobwebs disappear.

Another day, another glacier:
33nf69d.jpg

Although I do not generally enjoy group trips but this I couldn’t have done alone.

After a long day ...
142zo2a.jpg

Stroll back into the village after 9 hours footwork.

And to add a picture showing me, early 70s :D
xf6ckm.jpg

In some old late 60s ski suit my Nan dug out from somewhere....

HepKitty

One Too Many
Blackthorn said:
You are very wise, HepKitty. That's the first thing I learn, too, and it really makes for good dealings with people. Another thing I want to learn right off the bat is "I don't understand." That comes in all too handy, I've found.

That is also wise, because folks around the world love a good joke on the newcomers to their country. I like to ask for confirmation from those who have no connection with the ones who first give me a translation. It can't hurt! A friend of mine was given a phrase to use in Japanese, and didn't put it to the test, and it was indeed a big hit. He was saying "Hello, my name is Mark, and I'm gay." (he wasn't, it was a joke pulled on him by his Japanese friends) It did serve as an icebreaker, and got folks laughing, but I'd rather be sure of what I'm saying.

Yes it certainly helps. I don't know if it was because I made the effort to learn one seemingly small thing in their language or they just weren't used to good manners, but the stunned look on people's faces when you show a little gratitude is worth it :D Is it just me or do people seem to be losing grasp of even basic manners? It's really zum Kotzen

lol that is exactly what I wanted to avoid, being told I was saying something nice but have it actually mean something nasty. I feel bad for your friend, and I'd want to somehow hurt or torture the so-called friends who taught him to say that :rage:

Gilboa those photos are gorgeous! I've only been through CH twice, once by car and once by rail, and I didn't get to stop and play. *sigh* maybe someday

Gijoe

A-List Customer
Nice piscs, i love my country ! I think that was in Juli August , not much snow on the mountains. Alone on a Clacier is not a good idea. Perhaps one finds you 1000 years later
Gilboa said:
Once upon a time ...

Having grown up in Switzerland, I am naturally fond of the wild and breathtakingly imposing mountains.

These photos are quite old so forgive the grainy quality.

The most memorable 'adventure':
apiq39.jpg

It is not just the view that is so very beautiful; it is the freedom when you stand on the top. The crispy clean and clear air, no sounds apart from the wind cutting the stone, your mind opens up and all the cobwebs disappear.

Another day, another glacier:
33nf69d.jpg

Although I do not generally enjoy group trips but this I couldn’t have done alone.

Gilboa

One of the Regulars
Gijoe said:
Nice piscs, i love my country ! I think that was in Juli August , not much snow on the mountains. Alone on a Clacier is not a good idea. Perhaps one finds you 1000 years later

Indeed, July / August, long time ago ...

You know, I have a strange relation with my home country. When I lived in Switzerland in my childhood/teenage years I found it very unexciting.
I felt 'locked in' most times, physically and also spiritually (I do not mean the religious meaning of the word). It was one of the reasons why I was always drawn to mountain tops if given the opportunity, in winter with skiis, just to have a far reaching view and to let my thoughts and ideas roam freely.

I have a yet another strange relationship with England, but in different ways.
Obviously, I spend much time comparing the two countries, its history, and its people's mindsets.

But, I have not yet found my true home ...

--------

To other members that commented on the pictures:

Thank you for the comments, although it is the scenery itself that did all the work, I just pressed a button :D

I can only recommend a visit to Swizterland, and if you like melted cheese, do please go and have a traditional cheese fondue and enjoy the kirsch batons! :eusa_clap

Gilboa

One of the Regulars
Diamondback said:
:eek:fftopic: Not related, unless you count things on the rails as "adventure" but...

Interesting choice of av, Gilboa--may I ask if there's a story that led you to NYC 5344? (The railroad that built and owned it used to be the old "family business".)

:eek:fftopic: As it is off topic I shall be quick:

From a general design point of view: I am fond of stainless steel trains and art deco. While researching on some related topic, I have come accross a library of locomotives desined in that area. Having known about Zephyr (I quite like the pioneer) I happen to come accross what is commonly known as 'Commodore Vanderbilt' (as I am sure you know :) ) and was very taken by its design. In fact so much that it is currently my pc backdrop. Considering when it was designed, it was like a machine from another planet. I would have loved to see it in action and speak to its creator. Immensly fascinating!

Then I assume you're familiar with Henry Dreyfuss' 1936 Mercury, '38 Twentieth Century Limited and '41 Empire State Express? (Sorry, with all the "Red Team" Pennsylvania RR junkies around here it's both rare and good to see someone else who's interested in the New York Central "Green Team" around.;) )

Gilboa

One of the Regulars
Diamondback said:
Then I assume you're familiar with Henry Dreyfuss' 1936 Mercury, '38 Twentieth Century Limited and '41 Empire State Express? (Sorry, with all the "Red Team" Pennsylvania RR junkies around here it's both rare and good to see someone else who's interested in the New York Central "Green Team" around.;) )

:eek:fftopic: Last time, before we murder this thread! shhhhhhhh

I am indeed slowly becoming familiar with Henry Dreyfuss, and also Raymond Loewy.

"Red Team" and "Green Team" are new terms to me, had to google for it for information.

Maybe we should start a new thread listing designers (of any subject) appropriate to the Fedora Lounge time frame. It certainly would be very interesting.

HepKitty

One Too Many
Blackfoot Canyon. or Wolverine Canyon

Whatever it's called, got to rappel for the first time last night. Not as bad as I thought it would be. I did have someone belay from the top just in case. Anyway, you have to rap down with your gear then climb out. It was really dark by the time we climbed out, even though the last climb was a fun one I was a little scared about the lack of light (stars were already out) and didn't care that I would have lost a lot of style points had anyone been watching

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran