Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

adventurebilt advice

jsecunda

New in Town
Hi folks:

Thinking of ordering an Adventurebilt F&G. Using 'search', it seems that the lounge's opinion of the quality of these hats is very high (although some comment that not everyone looks OK in that syle.) For those of you who own one, what's your opinion of the hat, what face/body type looks OK in that style, and smart ways to customize while ordering? Send Steve a photo and one's dimensions-or is the hat built in a 'one brim/crown size fits all' manner (other than hat size)?

Thanks-
js

Feraud

Bartender
The Adventurebilt is a great hat. I own one and love it. It is tough as nails and will hold up to any outdoor activity you put it through.
I suggest you buy it open crowned and bash it yourself. This really puts an individual stamp on any hat.
You can discuss with Steve any special modifications you might want.
I have never seen a guy look bad in an Adventurebilt! ;)

Mulceber

Practically Family
I too own one. It is a wonderful hat. The style is fantastic, as are the materials. The fitting can't be beaten either. I tend to think the AB looks best on someone who has a narrow face, and a lean build. But then again that's my body build, so maybe I'm a bit biased.

Ways to customize? well first of all give tell him your initials - he's got an initial puncher so he can put your monogram (minus the middle initial) into the sweatband. Oh and dont forget to go through the movies and find a scene you like the most first, that way he can style it after that scene. -Mulceber

Kaleponi Craig

A-List Customer
I also own one and it's the best hat I have (see avatar). I had Steve bash mine in a 'Last Crusade' bash, referring to the third of the Indiana Jones trilogy. Of course, this is an Indiana Jones hat, make no mistake. So if you really want a lot of information, go to the Indy Gear Forum, Club Obi Wan...

http://www.indygear.com/cow/

I'm sure Steve can bash it any way you want, but most of us prefer either the Raiders bash (first movie) or the Last Crusade bash...KC

matei

One Too Many
I too have an Adventurebilt. I needed a brown hat that would put up with day-to-day wear, in all sorts of climates. I am very, very happy with it. Here are some pics:

IMG_109.jpg

IMG_108.jpg

IMG_1510.jpg

It is a tough hat, very well made and it looks great. I asked that Steve put an Indy-esque block to it (modeled on Kaleponi Craig's as a matter of fact), as I can't seem to get a nice swoop in the brim of any open crown hat I get.

Steve did a great job.

jsecunda

New in Town
Gorgeous hat! :eusa_clap

Best thing about it, aside from the quality, seems to be that it is not at all "costumey" - in addition to the film it references, it's also an elegant looking, 1930s era fedora.

DOUGLAS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I have 2 Adventurebilts By steve and 1 Adventurebilt Deluxe by Marc which you can see in the "Indy/Non Indy Fedora Hybrid "thread. I have been pleased with both. They are indestuctable and wear very well. The AB Deluxe is too luxurious for words. You won't be disapointed by either.

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
AB as You Like IT!

I just recently ordered my first AB, and I had many concerns. After talking to Steve, however, I feel confident in what I'm buying. He is willing to duplicate the movie hats, including crown heights and brim widths to the "known" specifications. However, he is also willing to modify the hat dimensions in order to get the look right for your face and frame. I sent him pictures of my head and explained that I was more interested in the look than a movie prop duplicate. Best of all, if you don't want an Indy Hat, he can do something else. Any way you look at it, you win. I feel so naked without an AB... even though it's too hot for me to wear a felt hat right now.
So, your best bet JS is to have a chat with Steve. He'll put all your concerns to rest.
NB

Baggers

Practically Family
I've got two, the brown F&G with a "streets of Cario" bash that I'm wearing in my avatar, and a slightly less "Indy" model in grey. I've never gotten as many compliments hats as I have with these two.

You won't ever regret getting one.

Cheers!

Cruiser

One of the Regulars
DOUGLAS said:
I have 2 Adventurebilts By steve and 1 Adventurebilt Deluxe by Marc which you can see in the "Indy/Non Indy Fedora Hybrid "thread. I have been pleased with both. They are indestuctable and wear very well. The AB Deluxe is too luxurious for words. You won't be disapointed by either.

[huh] I saw the thread on the Adventurebilt Deluxe, but I can't figure out what URL to go to in order to look at it, find out pricing, etc. Can you enlighten me?

Kaleponi Craig

A-List Customer
matei said:
It is a tough hat, very well made and it looks great. I asked that Steve put an Indy-esque block to it (modeled on Kaleponi Craig's as a matter of fact), as I can't seem to get a nice swoop in the brim of any open crown hat I get.

Steve did a great job.

Great looking lid, matei. Where was the picture taken of you in your AB? This is the picture I had Steve model my AB after...

indianapier2.jpg

Regards, Kaleponi Craig

jsecunda

New in Town
any advice as to beaver vs. rabbit? (I hope that you're wrong about it looking best on the tall, lean type. I'm a 5' 10" former competitive weight lifter! I'll probably look like Oddjob but in a classy hat!:( )

Thanks again for all your (collective) help.
js

Feraud

Bartender
jsecunda said:
any advice as to beaver vs. rabbit? (I hope that you're wrong about it looking best on the tall, lean type. I'm a 5' 10" former competitive weight lifter! I'll probably look like Oddjob but in a classy hat!:( )

Thanks again for all your (collective) help.
js
Don't believe that "tall & lean" stuff! I personally believe fedoras look better on short, stocky guys. It is the "Continental Op" look. lol
Go for the beaver! My beaver felt Adventurebilt is thinner and more dense than the rabbit fur Akubra Federation Deluxe.

jake_fink

Call Me a Cab
Feraud said:
Don't believe that "tall & lean" stuff! I personally believe fedoras look better on short, stocky guys. It is the "Continental Op" look. lol

I love a Hammett purist. :D

Fedoras look good on anyone*.

(*Some exceptions may apply)

jsecunda

New in Town
Finally (promise I'll stop now) - I've been trying to find one of the various threads on matching hat color with clothing color, but 'search' isn't revealing them to me, I'm afraid. Can anyone inform me or direct me? (I'm thinking grey for this hat, but want to make sure it's a good match for blacks and blues)....
js

Mulceber

Practically Family
Fedora doesn't produce rabbit felt hats anymore. Just beaver, which is fine, because that's the best deal anyway. Even if he were producing rabbit, I'd advise you to go for the beaver.

As for color, I would personally choose brown. not just because of the Indy connection, but because I find that a brown hat goes with most colors, while gray and black mainly go with suits. -Mulceber

Fedora

Vendor
Fedora doesn't produce rabbit felt hats anymore.

Well, I did try to stop making the rabbit hats, but have made a few that were requested. The reason is because the rabbit is not in the same league as the pure beaver and therefore not as durable. Durability is a big issue with me as I do specialize in Indy fedoras, and try to upgrade my favorite fedora so it will be durable in real world scenerios.(the originals were rabbit and would never last for many years) So, I use the best felt I can buy, Stateside for my hats, and this ends up being pure beaver. With that said, if I were to specialize in vintage type hats, I would have to bite the bullet and have my bodies run special in Portugal. Mostly for the colors they offer, but also due to the fact that they will do special runs, of certain blends, with specified degrees of stiffener as well as offering oversized bodies for the taller crowned varieties of dress hats. Plus, I could have a beaver/mink/nutria/hare body made just for my line of hats, if I were into producing nice, reasonably priced vintagesque dress hats.

With that said, I am rather fond of the felt producer I am using. A very old company that is still using ancient equipment. There is a charm to that, at least personally. Plus, I can keep prices low because I do not have to sink thousands of dollars in felt inventory. I order when I get orders in and save folks money in the process. Where else can you buy a handmade pure beaver hat for 225.00?? If you find an idiot like that, let me know. I need company. ;) Fedora

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
AB Dimensions?

Are there standard dimensions for the AB brim and crown? (I'd also be curious to learn the open crown dimensions)

Many thanks!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner