Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Adventurebilt hats - anyone ordered from?

Status
Not open for further replies.

1BAT4U

New in Town
haha thanks for all the ideas guys. I paid only $350 for my Fedora way back when... so to pay an additional $300 just seems a little crazy. Steve is a great guy making this incredible hats for us fans. I can be patient :). Now that I know I WILL get it eventually I'm just going to relax and keep hoping there's a box waiting for me when I get home. Maybe I'll get myself a new Akubra Federation in the mean time... :p

I

Ian

1BAT4U said:
haha thanks for all the ideas guys. I paid only $350 for my Fedora way back when... so to pay an additional $300 just seems a little crazy. Steve is a great guy making this incredible hats for us fans. I can be patient :). Now that I know I WILL get it eventually I'm just going to relax and keep hoping there's a box waiting for me when I get home. Maybe I'll get myself a new Akubra Federation in the mean time... :p

I get what you mean, but they are absolutely worth it either way. You'll love it when you get it up. Hope it shows up soon!! :)

AlanC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I've got more time than money, and more hats than I need already. It'll show up when it shows up.

Plus I already have one...;)

I

Ian

AlanC said:
I've got more time than money, and more hats than I need already. It'll show up when it shows up.

Plus I already have one...;)

Chances are that waiting for it is the only thing stopping you ordering another one ;)

I

Ian

Adventurebilt size

A thing I thought was strange was that I measured my head in the 3 places as instructed by Steve, and I got 59.5, 59, 59.5cm. When the hat turned up it had 23 1/4" in the sweat, which is pretty much 59cm. It fits perfectly!! Maybe he knows that the block runs a little big or something.

1BAT4U

New in Town
I'm still waiting patiently for my Adventurebilt soooo I got impatient and ordered two new Akubra Federation Deluxe fedoras to tide me over :). I got brown and grey. If they arrive today I'll be putting a Raiders bash on both. I figured it makes more sense to do a LC or CS bash on the Adventurebilt and beat the hell out of the Akubra. I know the adventurebilt can take whatever you throw at it, I'd just rather baby the one thats worth so much. (not just money but the time invested to receive!) Let me know if anyone wants to see pics and I'll post once I finish bashing them.
-Tom

1BAT4U

New in Town
johnnycanuck said:
Sure 1BAT4U lets see them.

Are you planing on using Penmans videos to help you?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ozJKQVCgeZ4&

Johnny

I did check those out, but Im pretty confident in my ability to recreate a nice raiders replica. I'm an graphic artist so I'm going to make sure to pay good attention to the details. I'd love to have something that looks close to the cairo streets scenes. I love how worked in and dirty the hat looks there, just great. Once I get the hats I'll post my progress :)

I

Ian

I got the CS version AB and I baby that quite a bit. I paid the $650 for it, so the time wasn't an issue.

1BAT4U, are you gonna throw some Fuller's at it for that Cairo look? I just couldn't do that to my AB, but I know it looks cool. :)

Oh, and of course we wanna see pictures!!:eusa_clap

Ian

1BAT4U

New in Town
Ian said:
I got the CS version AB and I baby that quite a bit. I paid the $650 for it, so the time wasn't an issue.

1BAT4U, are you gonna throw some Fuller's at it for that Cairo look? I just couldn't do that to my AB, but I know it looks cool. :)

Oh, and of course we wanna see pictures!!:eusa_clap

Ian

Definitely ;). I think it would be more fun to just let the AB age over time, and artificially age the Akubra. Im hoping they arrive today. I was also thinking of making a video of my progress. So many people do the raiders bash CLOSE but not dead on. Few have nailed it in my opinion. Of course, a lot has to do with the hat used. Anyway, I'll post asap! Do you have pics of your AB?

I

Ian

1BAT4U said:
Definitely ;). I think it would be more fun to just let the AB age over time, and artificially age the Akubra. Im hoping they arrive today. I was also thinking of making a video of my progress, so maybe people do the raiders bash CLOSE but not dead on. Few have nailed it in my opinion. Of course, a lot has to do with the hat. Anyway, I'll post asap! Do you have pics of your AB?

Cool! It'll be interesting to see that video. :eusa_clap

Aye...I took some shots with my phone. Not great, but you can see the hat. [huh]

DSC00020.jpg

DSC00021-1.jpg

1BAT4U

New in Town
Okay, I got em! Ive spent the last hour or so working on them. First off, all I can say is these are some beautiful hats. The felt is much finer than my previous Akubra Federation standard that I just sold (it was too small). These hats are much easier to shape, and are a lot floppier (which I also like). The grey hat took literal seconds to bash, while the brown has taken the most time. This is based purely on my fussiness to get it screen accurate, and Im not done. But here's what I got so far! - Tom :)
IMG_0918.jpg

IMG_0913.jpg

IMG_0915.jpg

IMG_0912.jpg

IMG_0905.jpg

IMG_0906.jpg

My only complaint is the bow on the brown fedora. So I may swap it out for something a little more SA. If I feel brave that is...

I

Ian

Looking awesome!! That grey is really nice. I've got that in the regular and you can tell the difference straight away. I guess the brown fed just needs beating up now. :eusa_clap

Still, when your AB turns up, you'll struggle to get it off your head. I have to force myself to rotate my other lids. :)

Ian

1BAT4U

New in Town
jlee562 said:
nice blackheart!

Thanks! :p

Yeah its actually a lot harder to do the Raiders look than I original had thought. The grey fedora I just bashed without steam while on my head in 20-30 seconds...it just molded like clay. I guess it was easier because I just did it straight. However, the brown one is really tricky. I tried turning the crown off center to get that wave in the brim but its not working as well as I'd hoped. I think for a good looking raiders hat it needs to fit rather snug. I had heard that the original Raiders fedora is a 7 1/4, which would be 58 and according to Steve Delk "Harrison's head measures 22 7/8. He is between sizes. Between a 7 1/4 and a 7 3/8", which is exactly the same size as me. So for Steve, he simply could custom make a perfect fitting hat for Harrison, but back during raiders the closest fit was probably a solid 7 1/4 size meaning it was a little snug. So I think if I want a really accurate looking raiders hat it needs to be tigher so that the brim gets that "bent" shape when you turn the crown. But anyway, I'm going to keep working my magic on it and I'll post my results. It will also be very interesting to compare this Akubra Deluxe next to my Adventurebilt when it arrives. Obviously I expect the beaver incredible, but given Steve's input on making the latest Federation, i'd love to see how close they look side by side.

The Fuller's earth is also a bit of a pain to work with. Its really just a matter of softening up the felt and steaming it in the places you dont want to change (ie the pinch at the front).

I'll post more as I get closer to that screen look or if I get my AB soon :)
-Tom

1BAT4U

New in Town
Ian said:
Looking awesome!! That grey is really nice. I've got that in the regular and you can tell the difference straight away. I guess the brown fed just needs beating up now. :eusa_clap

Still, when your AB turns up, you'll struggle to get it off your head. I have to force myself to rotate my other lids. :)

Ian

Yes it's definitely a nice step up from the standard grey. It looks preeeetty similar, but the feel is totally different. It's a LOT softer, and the leather band inside is soo soft and nice. Feels great to wear and is extremely comfortable. For $150 you can't beat it.

1BAT4U

New in Town
bendingoak said:
Here's the exact conversion 58 cm = 22.83 inches 7 1/4 thats 22 13/16th. Very close to 7/8th.

When it comes to fullers earth. Try using a sock. Put the fuller earth into a sock and then beat the hat with the sock.

Try my video to help get the Raiders look. http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=653214281196

Thanks for the advice! I've actually watched that video a few times, I'll give the hat some more work when i get home tonight and try the sock bashing too :). I watched a few of your other videos and am actually curious about how you got your leather jacket so nicely distressed! I've done alcohol, water, and even went a little crazy with sandpaper with good results, but I still cant get that lighter colour in the edges. I guess we need a leather jacket forum for that tho... ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24