Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Adventuring boots for your consideration...

Which of these is the perfect adventurer's boot?

• LL Bean moc-toe

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • LL Bean cap-toe

• Corcoran II Field Boot

• Other (please specify)

• Total voters

Doug C

Practically Family
Let's not forget Magnoli makes his boots in other colors besides the classic Indy looking color. I've been thinking of ordering a pair in black, possible with a differnt stitsching color (green/brown), or maybe leave the stitching (mock toe) off all together. I just really dig the layered looking sole and heal.

Doug C

Baggers

Practically Family
MrBern said:
In person, those ATF service shoes seemd a littl shiney, like they were plasticy.

I've got a pair of of the ATF service shoes, and I don't think they look bad at all. Sure they were shiny when I first got them, but they've dulled down with use. Heck, any shoe is shiny when new, but a little use/abuse and some polish every now and then and they look fine to me.

And this brings up the fact that any ankle boot similar to these, or the Indy Alden 405s, or Magnoli's version would work as vintage adventuring footwear. I might prefer something with a leather sole and heel, but that would depend on the period I'm going for.

Cheers!

carebear

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Sure they were shiny when I first got them, but they've dulled down with use. Heck, any shoe is shiny when new, but a little use/abuse and some polish every now and then and they look fine to me.

I strip the factory finish off new shoes anyway. It's the only way to get a real deep polish long term.

Baggers

Practically Family
carebear said:
I strip the factory finish off new shoes anyway. It's the only way to get a real deep polish long term.

Acetone or lighter fluid and steel wool? I've heard of that trick. A lot of shoes and boots these days use a spray on dye or top coat that never really gets into the leather and prevents polish from getting a grip. It has to be removed to allow the polish to penetrate in order to get a decent shine. A lot of work upfront, but once the initial polishing is done, it's real easy to maintain, so I've heard.

Cheers!

carebear

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Baggers said:
Acetone or lighter fluid and steel wool? I've heard of that trick. A lot of shoes and boots these days use a spray on dye or top coat that never really gets into the leather and prevents polish from getting a grip. It has to be removed to allow the polish to penetrate in order to get a decent shine. A lot of work upfront, but once the initial polishing is done, it's real easy to maintain, so I've heard.

Cheers!

I've taken some topcoats off of cheap shoes and there's nothing there, almost raw leather. The first serious scuff and they're ruined, no depth and no quality dyeing.

In Boot we stripped our shoes and combat boots and redyed them. They still look good today. The polish goes deep, even cuts don't look so bad and, with the layers of edge dressing, they are functionally waterproof.

Apparently the original, original boots and boondockers were rough out and needed to be almost sanded to get the shine started.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails