Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Advice needed. Help me round out my collection/wardrobe

TrendyTrent

New in Town
Hi all,

First of all, I'd like to give a quick bio. of my style history - so you might better understand my influences and personal tastes; to help you make more informed/relevant suggestions.

Basically, I am in my early twenties and currently studying full-time at university. I would say that my personal style tends to leans towards being more street-wear orientated, with a hint of bohemian flair. For, let us say, the past year and a half - I have been amassing/collecting quite a lot of vintage outerwear. This obsession spurred, albeit only partly, from the realization that I was in fact a grown man: who still dressed very much like a child. i.e. there was no real sense of deliberation in my garment purchases/acquisitions, and many of those choices weren't exactly age appropriate. Think printed tees and cargo shorts... That said, I am/was not entirely uncultured. Decided upon making a conscious effort to dress in a fashion more befitting of a grown man, I quickly found an appreciation for classic men's outerwear and began collecting these timeless garments. Most of my purchases have been inspired by celebrities, actors and musicians of yesteryear. Men I have now come to worship as my own personal style gurus. Men such as: Steve McQueen, James Dean, Marlon Brando, Sean Connery, Jim Morrison etc. etc. Coming from a middle-class background and being brought up in a culture/society that very much promotes, and praises, manly men; I guess I have unknowingly chosen to collect what could be considered "quintessential menswear". Garments generally associated with middle-class manly men throughout recent history.

So, onto the point... I would like to ask your advice on what sorts of garments I might consider to better round out my current wardrobe and improve its versatility.

Also, I am rather new to the idea of man jewellery/accessorizing - but not entirely unreceptive to the concept. If any of you have a suggestion of something particular that might compliment existing garments in my wardrobe, please feel free to chime in.

Here's a list of what's currently in my wardrobe:

Chicago Bulls No.23 Jordan Jersey
McGregor anti-freeze Jacket - red
Pendleton loop Plaid Shirt - red
College Varsity Jacket - red
Lee Padded Ski Vest - red
Levis Small e Chambray Shirt
Wrangler Wrancher Coat
Lee Storm Rider Jacket
Levis Type 2 Big E Jacket
Levis Type 2 cut-off vest
Vietnam MA-1 Flight Jacket
Vietnam M65 Field Jacket
Vietnam field Camo Poplin
Aran wool knit Sweater
Lee Westerner 100j Jacket
Carhartt duck-cloth Chore Jacket
Levis Suede Type 2 Jacket
Aero Leather synch-back Jacket - ochre
Brooks Cafe Racer Jacket - black
Schott Perfecto one-star Jacket - black
Belstaff Trial Master Jacket
USN WW2 Pea Coat - black

Here are some of the items I am currently considering:

Izod Lacoste Beige Baracuta jacket???
Yves Saint Laurent Velvet Smoking Jacket???
Harris Tweed Herringbone Jacket???
Plain Black Waist coat???

Thanks for reading!

Trent.

Benproof

A-List Customer
Wow.

Errr...shouldn't you be concentrating on your studies? :)

Your clothes list seem to gel together very well - these are all interchangeable mall fashion brands. I'm not sure about the Harris Tweed herringbone jacket ... unless you're trying to go for an Ivy League or respectable fogey look. But given that you own 13 jackets already, you've already got one jacket a trimester sorted. Adding another 1 to that set of 13 jackets isn't going to alter your image very much unless you scale back on the number of others. In that respect, less is more. Or rather, less material ownership enables a clearer focus on refining your great wardrobe.

Putting another 3 jackets on your wish list, probably isn't the answer!

The Pendleton, Aran, and would be Harris Tweed are distinctive for their fabric and origins. That's more of a man's couturier' interest, whereas the rest of the wardrobe kind of blends in with every university student.

Not sure what a man's man's wardrobe is supposed to look like. I thought real men didn't care, and coolness just effervesces from their nonchalant indifference to clothing all the same. Otherwise, Robin Hood, who was a real man's man, would have us all prancing around in green skin tights around the campus trying to dodge professors and early morning seminars :)

This obsession spurred, albeit only partly, from the realization that I was in fact a grown man: who still dressed very much like a child.

Hmm. I'm told I'm the other way around lol.

Waistcoat gets my vote! But perhaps not something to suck the light into anti-matter. If it is black, make sure it's textured wool or woven, rather than something that might lead you to being mistaken for a waiter.

Ok...maybe that's not helpful....but A for effort :D

TrendyTrent

New in Town
Umm... if I recall correctly, Errol Flinn was a "man's" man. Not a manly man. Also, I don't think tight-tights could ever be considered historically accurate... much less considered manly.

Manly men; would be working/middle class males employed in menial or manual labour. You know; the real dirty, greasy/sweaty and hard working jobs. Mechanics, construction workers etc. Jobs of that ilk. As opposed to a gentlemen. I wouldn't exactly describe an investment banker or litigator as a being a manly man. Though I would certainly see no problem describing him as a gentleman. Provided he dresses accordingly and conducts himself as such. I suppose it's morelike a sort of hierachical thing... think Crocodile Dundee vs. Don Draper.

Really, I just wanted some guidance to help me round out the wardrobe and add some much needed versatility. As it stands, I think it lacks a certain sense of formality/refinement - which is great and all; as, that's basically my whole jive. But I think it would be nice to have something more clean cut and refined/respectible to wear in those formal scenarios - should such an occasion present itself. That said, nothing over the top like a wool 3 piece. I'm only 24; and probably the hairiest mother on the face of the earth, so I don't exactly have the requirement/need to be rocking a suit; not that I couldn't pull off a tidy 3 piece suit - it's just not me. For now, anyway. Once I graduate, get a haircut and a real job; I can turn my attention towards being a respectible gent. However, until that day I am wholeheartedly a hippie! But that doesn't mean I can't/ shouldn't be able to dress up on ocassion. So my question would be: how can I best do that fashionably, without going all out?

Last edited:

fashion frank

One Too Many
Trendy Trent , it's all a matter of perception . How you are perceived and how you want to be perceived . Speaking for myself I prefer to be shaven and shorn and dressed to the nines . When I do I always get better service and am taken more seriously ! Again it's all about perception and what you project outwardly and how you want to be perceived .
All the Best , Fashion Frank

ProteinNerd

My Mail is Forwarded Here
You can't go past a nice sportscoat to add some refinement imo.

You can dress it up or just wear it with jeans and a button up shirt. They are really versatile.

Best thing to do is just google image search sportscoat and have a look how the models are put together.

Last edited:
No idea... I just like jackets, and the rest of my attire consists not of what I like, but rather of the clothes that I least dislike.
But I have to admit though that nowadays I'm mostly taking hints from other people's photos on this forum, on how to dress.

Trendytrend, why don't you also try asking over at StyleForum? Some of the guys there often have a very definite idea how anyone should dress, down to briefs, and are always eager to 'help'. :)

Oh, and, welcome to the forum!

Rudie

Call Me a Cab
Focus on accessories, color coordination and different textures. Get some nice neckerchiefs. Get some trousers other than jeans, e.g. the Buzz Rickson 1942 pattern khakis. Go for a good, flattering fit. Many men wear their clothes several sizes too large without realizing it. And get some good, real shoes. No sneakers or cheap glued stuff with plasticky leathers.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Sounds like you have nice jackets covered. Whether a person is viewed as a responsible or serious adult male or not will be more a question of character than clothing. But I'm sure you know that.

As an adult male in his fifth decade I don't wear a suit or tie or indeed wear clothing of any kind to please anyone else but me. There are no rules, only the ones you set yourself. I enjoy the fact that there are guys here who like to wear suits and shave every day and there are guys like me who don't. Celebrating diversity is what this site (and life) is all about.

Last edited:

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
In University I barely had time to keep jeans and sweatshirts washed on occassion, maybe once in a great while a wool coat or suit (not wool) was pulled out. Rest of the time was in the library sudying Thermodynamics, Physics or Mathmatical topics. Had a few metallurgical courses that did a great job exposing us to the real life outside the University as well. Also focused upon marketing and communication courses so that when job interviews came, I would not totally fall apart. Still have much to learn in all of these areas, even 20+ years after graduation.

I'd keep your wardrode and your $$$ for now and focus upon preparing for your career. Just my $.02

Benproof

A-List Customer
Hey Trent -

what are you going to wear for your graduation?! A 3 piece woollen suit actually is a grrreat way to break out of student mode for the past few years, unless Austrialian graduation ceremonies are done on tropic like conditions on Bondi beach :) Also for upcoming work interviews and friends' marriages, unless you are going for X Factor, having at least one piece of formal wear does make sense!

Back to your wish list: Can you pull off wearing a Harris Tweed herringbone jacket? I've seen a few wearers (well actually, I've been looking out for it, because I'm wanting one myself...) pull it off really well. The best dressed herringbone tweeds, I would surmise, are the older gentlemen who wear their well loved jackets gracing their torsos so naturally that their personality shines through, rather than having me transfixed on the herringbone jacket, wondering..."why the hell is he wearing a herringbone jacket?" I think I would fit in the latter category, which is why I dither about one. The successful wearers who gain my admiration, tend to work out a low-key aesthetic of detailing around the rest of their clothes with the herringbone jacket making its distinction in this way. You could try going down this 'less formal' work wear route by getting a Harris Tweed, although after a year or two, you might just look back on it as "a fashion disaster from my twenties".

Manly men; would be working/middle class males employed in menial or manual labour. You know; the real dirty, greasy/sweaty and hard working jobs. Mechanics, construction workers etc. Jobs of that ilk. As opposed to a gentlemen. I wouldn't exactly describe an investment banker or litigator as a being a manly man.

Yes - there's a strong aesthetic around this core identity. We call it the 19th century miner look :D

It might look a bit out of place, turning up to lectures in a radiation proof coverall with hi-viz lining or labourer's clothing but labour clothing has a great revival based on working class dress sense. This is great - I love it because of its practical and technical sense (indesctructible clothing at the 1,500rpm spin cycle is a must :D ) Equally, the fabrics and construction method of clothing in work wear revival brands like Post O'alls, Nigel Cabourn, Beams +, Arpenteur, Monitaly, all delve into historical workwear clothing archives mostly drawing on military design, technical fabrics, triple-seamed construction and durability of clothing - very different from the ultra-refined gentleman's Boglioli or Lanvin style which look great as look an you don't ruffle or crease the shirt during wear. Crocodile Dundee and iconic film wear appearances or looking like your heros still classes as dressing like a child to me.

Besides, investment bankers are still perceived as under rehabilitation after the economic banking disasters of the past 7 years so it's eminently sensible to avoid dressing that way. Generally as adults (trying not to be like children), we do not use the term 'manly man' here in the UK, except as a term of perjoration or intended offence to a sub-group as a form of sneering condescension. Arnold Schwarzenegger in the US demonstrated this epically with his misogynistic attitudes towards women by condescending on others as "girly men". His attitude is more appropriate for a civilized caveman in need of rehab, than a man proper, endowed with innate humanity to express tacit respect.

Still ... if you find that one singular sartorial piece...like an iconic war time jerkins leather waistcoat, it would probably fit with everything in your wardrobe and notch your dress sense towards greater versatility without going all out formal. Personally, I think your reservation about getting a 3 piece wool suit which would be a culture shock for the rest of your wardrobe, is probably a sound investment. it's a real coming of age too and making that clean break from student work is a great way to end university too :)

Having not read past the Jordan jersey, I will say that you are on the right track. Next you'll need a couple Cubs shirts, decent denim for your legs and at least one high quality leather jacket. And your're done. Easy.

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
Nice! Since Iowa has NO professional Baseball, Football, Basketball or hockey teams, I see more Illinois team jeresies here that I usually did in Illinois, where I was born & raised.

TrendyTrent

New in Town
I honestly don't know if I could successfully pull of a Harris tweed jacket, and probably won't ever know for certain until I finally wind up trying one on. Being of Scottish extraction, I feel as thought I ought to be genetically predisposed to wear tweed well - I'd feel inherently cheated if I couldn't just. Hell, if Sean Connery can do it, I can to! I guess that's not an entirely bad creed to live by...

Hmm... you all raise a very interesting point. As it stands, I have no real allegiance to any one particular American football team! That said, I've always liked the look of early college team/motorcycle sweats. Perhaps that might be another avenue to explore? Good thinking 99!

Does anybody have any specific brand suggestions, or an idea of what particular makers would have been considered the it label for manufacturing formal/casual waistcoats from mid to late 60's; historically? Not that I'm a brand whore; it's generally a good gauge for quality/collectibility and is always a good reference point for when I begin researching...

Last edited:

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
The issue with Harris Tweed now is its Dr Who sci-fi geek association. I started wearing Harris when I was 19, more than 30 years ago. It was not cool then in Melbourne for people under 50 to wear it but because I've worn it for so long I associate Harris Tweed with youth. In fact in 1984 wearing Harris Tweed got you beaten up in pubs. I would not wear anything associated with sport in Australia unless you are after the Russell Crowe bogan look. I personally dislike waistcoats and associate these (especially leather or colourful ones) with middle aged hippies or people wearing a fancy dress costume. In the 1960's most waistcoats came with a suit although you could get the colourful, home spun ones from flower power style boutiques.

Last edited:

ProteinNerd

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Tweed jackets don't have to be just for old men and these don't look anything like a Dr Who cosplay. Casual but stylish, not vintage but still look great imo. I've got one in the lighter brown and a deep navy one as well.

iu-1.jpeg
iu.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner