Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Advice on a hat rack/coat rack?

jsecunda

New in Town
Hi folks-Did a search but came up with nothing. Per your collective advice, I store my hats seasonally in hat boxes. However, I have no safe place to keep them while I wear them-other than my head. Our home is badly suited to the installation of a hat rack-no wall or closet space, and our cats view my hats as a species of vermin to be attacked and killed.

Therefore, I'm looking for a free standing coat rack that I can use to hang my hat when it's not in use. Do you know of any good sources-I'm not having much luck.
Thanks-
js:eusa_booh

Edward

Bartender
Regarding the cats, cats will alas go for anything that is within their reach.... especially if they know they shouldn't, often! Something that might help, though, is a smell issue. Assuming your hats are fur felt, it may well be the smell of them that is attracting the cast of they go for those above anything else. My mother once had a pair of fluffy slippers, rabbit fur trim, which one of our cats went nuts over, attacking them in much the same way he would have a mouse, whether she was wearing them at the time or not! If you could find some sort of citrus scent that won't mark or damage the hats, I'd give that a shot. Cats typically hate citrus smells - I think lemons are supposed to be poisonous to them?

Donato

One of the Regulars
Edward said:
Regarding the cats, cats will alas go for anything that is within their reach.... especially if they know they shouldn't, often! Something that might help, though, is a smell issue. Assuming your hats are fur felt, it may well be the smell of them that is attracting the cast of they go for those above anything else. My mother once had a pair of fluffy slippers, rabbit fur trim, which one of our cats went nuts over, attacking them in much the same way he would have a mouse, whether she was wearing them at the time or not! If you could find some sort of citrus scent that won't mark or damage the hats, I'd give that a shot. Cats typically hate citrus smells - I think lemons are supposed to be poisonous to them?
:D How true! I have two long-haired Birman cats and they already have a fascination with my two brand new fur felt fedoras. So far I have been hanging them on a coat rack that is well beyond their reach, but I am looking for something that will hold more than two hats so I don't return home one day and find claw and teeth marks all over them. Thanks for the tip about citrus.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner