Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Advice on altering this 1920s dress?

hnich

New in Town
Hi girls, I'm new here, but I love fashion from the 1920s-1960s, my first time dressing up was as a 12 year old, I wanted to be a 1940s film noir femme fatale. I didn't know they were called that, so I asked my mom to help me be a lady detective with the wavy hair. Luckily she understood. /end intro.

I am going to as a 1920s vamp for Halloween. I have my makeup, hair pieces, and jewelry lined up already but need help with this dress. I bought it off ebay, and it's the right shape, but too plain. What alterations would you think of to make it more dramatic and in line with the era?

1714_1.JPG

Thanks for any advice you can give!

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
If thats a real 20s dress it is in line with the era. If you want more of a 'flapper look' like a characture of the time, the just go buy a costume.

Its a lovely dress, and most here are gonna tell you not to alter it to make it into a Halloween costume. :eusa_doh:

You can accessorize it, to make it 'more twenties' with pearls and the like, I think that would work.

Alter it how? Im just not clear on that.

LD

hnich

New in Town
Oh no, I def. don't want it to be a flapper dress. This isn't authentic btw, I think it's an 80s reproduction of a 20s style. But I was looking at 20s dresses, and so many have elaborate beading designs, or fanciful collars. I just don't seem to have the imagination to think of what I could do to make it a bit more exciting.

Smuterella

One Too Many
I think any more detail on that would be overkill to be honest, its a great dress but with the scalloping, ruching, two colours and the diamante/metal bit its already very detailed.

decodoll

Practically Family
ehappy said:
I think what's throwing it off from looking straight 20's is the puffy part where the shoulder & sleeve meet.

If I were to change anything about it, that's what I would change.

I agree. I wouldn't add anything to the dress, but I think making it sleeveless would help it look more authentic.

Naama

Practically Family
Yeah, Sleeveless is a great idea I guess. And then when you have the right hair do and a pearl neclace or something and the right make up it will be perfect!

Naama

hnich

New in Town
Thanks! I wasn't crazy about the sleeves either, so I think you're right. I'm taking it on a practice run next week with hair and makeup, I'll post pictures to show you all after

Mojito

One Too Many
Another vote for sleeveless - looking forward to the alteration photos, hnich, and the whole ensemble when you put it together.

What sort of slip are you planning on wearing with it? I like the idea of contrast accentuating the lace pattern - very in keeping with the 1920s - and colours other than black would give different effects. The darker colour would fit into the Vamp/Femme Fatale/Dangerous Female idea. On the other hand, with a gold, copper or even silver coloured slip, the whole thing could just shimmer. There are a couple of companies that sell 20s style repro slips, so you could get a more authentic, straight cut along the bodice - Leluxe is one.

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Mojito said:
Another vote for sleeveless - looking forward to the alteration photos, hnich, and the whole ensemble when you put it together.

What sort of slip are you planning on wearing with it? I like the idea of contrast accentuating the lace pattern - very in keeping with the 1920s - and colours other than black would give different effects. The darker colour would fit into the Vamp/Femme Fatale/Dangerous Female idea. On the other hand, with a gold, copper or even silver coloured slip, the whole thing could just shimmer. There are a couple of companies that sell 20s style repro slips, so you could get a more authentic, straight cut along the bodice - Leluxe is one.
Oh, those wonderful LeLuxe dresses!

Mojito

One Too Many
That's right, VB - the width of the straps is a feature. Also sometimes the fabric of the straps - a more transparent material than the rest of the slip, so as to almost be invisible when a dress is worn over.

And Leluxe are such good people to deal with, Miss 1929! I haven't bought any of their beaded dresses (though I've heard good reports from those who have), but have used their bandeaux and slips. Bought the silver 20s style one last year, and it was absolutely perfect under a burnout velvet that had sheer chiffon panels. My only comment would be that 1920s slips often seem to go more for an even more simple cut with just a slight gathering at the hips and perhaps a bit more fullness below that - I'd like to see them as well as the style with a seam at the drop waist like we see in the Leluxe slips.

The other option if you're adept at sewing would be to make a slip yourself - I always forget to mention that, as I'd be incapable of even a simple job like that!

hnich

New in Town
Finished 1920s 'Vamp' look C&C welcome!

I posted before, and as per some suggestions, I removed the sleeves of the dress, which I feel gives a much better look, I still have to hem though. I wasn't able to find a replacement slip in time, plus this one is sewn in, so I think I'll just have to take up the straps some in the back (see how far they sag down) luckily, this is an 1970s/80s repro so it can handle a bit of alteration.
The hair piece is from a wonderful ebay seller, taissalada, I can't recommend her designs enough, although I'd rather it wasn't on a headband
Some photoshopping done, to hide minor blemishes, add in a more appropriate photo (it was a tanning advert!), and one for a more period feel.
I bought a fingerwave wig, but I think I'll keep my hair straight instead, even though it's an assymetrical bob, I don't think it's too noticeable, right?
I will definitely be using these pieces again in other outfits, my sister's already claimed the dress though!
1095093.JPG

1095092.JPG

1095091.JPG

1095072.JPG

texasgirl

One Too Many
Looks great! I think taking the sleeves off made a big difference. I also love the fascinator! I've bought from her too, great stuff!!!

Mojito

One Too Many
I like it as well - that gold leaf pattern is very pretty. Your makeup is lovely, and the fascinator gives a more contemporary nod back to the aigrette-adored headwear, bandeaux etc of the 20s.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindawalters