Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Advice on custom Aero (Ridley)

nattevagten

One of the Regulars
I'm considering ordering my first jacket from Aero, namely the slim fit version of the Motorcycle Jacket (known as Ridley) and have a question concerning the chest size.

My chest measures almost exactly 38" (c. 38.5" when layered) and I'm torn between the sizes 38 and 40 (with 20.5" and 21.5" chest measurements, and allowances of 3" and 5", respectively). I'm of a relatively athletic build.

Anyone with similar measurements, do you think the smaller size will allow any layering at all or should I go for the larger size just in case? As for layering, I'm not necessarily talking about an ultra thick wool jumper but something lighter to put on when it's colder.

The jacket will be made of Aero's goatskin.

marker2037

Practically Family
I have a 42" chest and have a size 42 Ridley which has a 22.5" pit to pit. The Ridley isn't really a layering jacket IMO, but if you want to do that it would depend on how thick of a layer you would want, but more importantly how often you would want to layer. It's not going to be a slim fit jacket anymore if you size up though.

dannyk

One Too Many
I have a 42" chest and have a size 42 Ridley which has a 22.5" pit to pit. The Ridley isn't really a layering jacket IMO, but if you want to do that it would depend on how thick of a layer you would want, but more importantly how often you would want to layer. It's not going to be a slim fit jacket anymore if you size up though.
That’s it. It’s a slim fit model and meant to fit close. Not that you can’t layer it, and if you want to layer feel free. It will be your jacket but I would say it’s not really the type to layer with. There would be other models I would look at for layering if that’s your priority.

nick123

I'll Lock Up
I think the Ridley can safely be worn 1-2 sizes larger than chest size. Wish I still had mine.

38279959-DC79-4D59-B0D6-1BA7DEE4AF1A.jpeg

nattevagten

One of the Regulars
Thanks for the answers and pictures!

I wonder, with a 38" chest (almost exactly 38"), could it be that a p2p of 20.5" (size 38) is too snug or restrictive? What's the consensus here? Size 40 is 21.5", which might be slightly too loose-fitting. Or perhaps not? I'm going for soft, mid-weight leather, BTW.

No previous experience with Aero, so I'm a bit worried about getting the measurements right.

MrProper

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Thanks for the answers and pictures!

I wonder, with a 38" chest (almost exactly 38"), could it be that a p2p of 20.5" (size 38) is too snug or restrictive? What's the consensus here? Size 40 is 21.5", which might be slightly too loose-fitting. Or perhaps not? I'm going for soft, mid-weight leather, BTW.

No previous experience with Aero, so I'm a bit worried about getting the measurements right.

I would recommend to get in touch with Holly or Denny from Aero. Give them your measurements and preferred fit and you get a recommendation for a size.

nattevagten

One of the Regulars
I would recommend to get in touch with Holly or Denny from Aero. Give them your measurements and preferred fit and you get a recommendation for a size.

I did. Holly said 20.5" would be 'very slim fit', whereas 21.5" would give a comfortable, yet slim fit. Honestly, I'm not that concerned about extra room for layers; just think 20.5" might be too slim. It's also a somewhat costly experiment, as the slim fit version of the jacket is custom by definition and hence non-refundable.

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
I did. Holly said 20.5" would be 'very slim fit', whereas 21.5" would give a comfortable, yet slim fit.

I think what constitutes a 'slim fit' differs from one person to another. I have a 43' chest and most of my jackets have a 22' or 22.5' ptp. What ptp is comfortable also depends on the pattern. I have a 22' ptp jacket that is very comfortable and another one with a 22.5' ptp that feels restrictive.

Are there any Aero stockists where you live? My advice would be to simply try one on. That's the best way to figure your size :)

dudewuttheheck

I'll Lock Up
It's really up to you. Some people like to have a good amount of room in their jackets. I'm usually just fine without much extra room in my jackets. I have a 42" chest and my leather jackets range from 21.5" to 22.25" from pit to pit. That's as little as 1 inch above my chest measurement which isn't much. That jacket doesn't allow for much layering, but with a normal shirt, t shirt it is quite easy to wear and move around in. With a sweatshirt on I can still move pretty easily, but it's a little snug.

Again, this is my personal experience. I'm rather short especially for my chest measurement (5'7" height and 42" chest exhaled) so with OTR items I often go fairly tight in the chest so the sleeves and body aren't too long on me.

Bfd70

I'll Lock Up
MY question with that Model is how is the arm mobility with a slim fit. In my 30s 1/2 belt with a trim fit i can’t scratch my head with it zipped.

Cyber Lip

Practically Family
You can specify it to have width added to the side panels so it's not so snug in the torso. I had that done with mine. I think we added an extra half an inch per side, or maybe it was 1 inch per side

Cyber Lip

Practically Family
MY question with that Model is how is the arm mobility with a slim fit. In my 30s 1/2 belt with a trim fit i can’t scratch my head with it zipped.

I got shoulder gussets with mine and arm mobility is great. It's my most comfortable jacket

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GokhanB