Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Advice on new A-2

thedebonair

One of the Regulars
I don´t have any experience with BK, but I do re Eastman (an A2 in their "house" version slender). Despite more recent price raises I would like to echo what @nick123 has said: You will certainly not make a mistake going with Eastman. I find their leather (in my case horsehide; the non-"timeworn" variant) especially nice. As concerns size and fit, the "size-calculator" on the website is a sound departure point, and the team is very helpful and generally very fast in answering detailed questions.
I really like Eastman, that's why my first choice would be them (I already own their G-1 and an old Fenland ANJ-4, both in a regular 42). However, because of Brexit I'd effectively pay around 1550 euros for an original maker jacket, which would be 600 euros more than a BK. As much as I like Eastman that's a lot of money I don't know I'm willing to spend extra...

thedebonair

One of the Regulars
Aero are able to add an inch to body & sleeves.......no problem.
Aero is a great company, but I personally don't really like the look of some of their A-2's. Just my opinion though. Eastman's A-2's just seem 'better' to my, admittedly untrained, eyes.

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
Wow okay, a lot to unpack here, thanks for answering extensively! I indeed do not want to take a risk with VAT, I'd like it to be perfect from the start (then again, doesn't everyone haha).
I'll happily pay a little more for great stitching/accuracy so maybe Eastman/BK might be better after all. Do you have any thoughts on who you esteem to be the best in continental Europe and UK?
I just had a look at BK's site and the fact that no 'surplus' VAT is charged (no double taxes as some UK makers do) means that I could order a Dubow 27798/RW 23380 in Shinki for 200 euros less than Eastman...

I don't like BK, wouldn't buy from them.
IMO out of the BK and Eastman i would go eastman without hesitation, i have two of their jackets and they are great.

thedebonair

One of the Regulars
I might just visit Eastman's showroom in the summer and wear the jacket on the way back as my ANJ-4 also needs a zip replacement. Hopefully customs lets me slide

thedebonair

One of the Regulars
Hi guys, I've decided on going with Goodwear as their wait-times are currently about a year. I've sent John an email to be sure and to pick a pattern, but I'd like to go all out if I'm going to spend that amount of money on a jacket. The wait might be long, but at least I'll be completely satisfied with a custom jacket. I'd like to thank all of you for your advice; have a nice day!

breezer

Practically Family
but at least I'll be completely satisfied with a custom jacket

best of luck......but there are dozens of people here that have gone down the custom route and its hasn't worked out........trying a jacket on for fit and size prior to purchase is priceless

thedebonair

One of the Regulars
True, however the reason I'm going with Goodwear (and its slightly custom nature) is that it might be a better adjustment to my not so standard proportions (big hips, so waist knit is always a problem such as in my G-1).

TooManyHatsOnlyOneHead

Call Me a Cab
Starting to go down this rabbit hole. Trouble for me and my wallet. Have stayed away from the military stuff, but I think it's time soon. May start off small and cheap with a used schott is674ms. Looks like I can get a good one in $200 range and see how that goes. Sizing always a challenge with schott and then vintage also. Seen some cool looking ones with mutton collar and sherpa style liner. Way overkill for my climate, but I like the look. I think some variations have a zip out and in a cool mocha sort of color.

Anyway, watching along, hope yours turns out great. Heard many great things about GW.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
apachepass