Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aero 1920s Work Coat Collar...

Edward

Bartender
I am tempted. For a long time I wasn't a fan of this sort of length, preferring my leathers either waist-length short, or knee-length long. Then a character in Man in the High Castle wore a nice leather jacket in this sort of length and style, and as tends to happen, my opinion gradually shifted.... I like the very utilitarian vibe of this early style. Puts me in mine of the cotton chore coats I've been wearing these last couple of Summers, so perhaps they also influenced my thinking...

zebedee

One Too Many
I am definitely thinking of one of these in russet (something). I still have a Stockman at home in the UK: both the Work Coat and the Stockman look like heavy working coats. The 1920 Wk Coat would have to go a long way to beat the Maxwell :)

born113

One of the Regulars
I am tempted. For a long time I wasn't a fan of this sort of length, preferring my leathers either waist-length short, or knee-length long. Then a character in Man in the High Castle wore a nice leather jacket in this sort of length and style, and as tends to happen, my opinion gradually shifted.... I like the very utilitarian vibe of this early style. Puts me in mine of the cotton chore coats I've been wearing these last couple of Summers, so perhaps they also influenced my thinking...
I made a lot of discoveries about jackets and about life in general when I saw the old catalogs of Sears and Montgomery Ward. And including me, too, now like jackets of this length.

Finn Vigorous

One of the Regulars
Yep, this is from a late 1920s Sears catalogue:

01_zps0e99d2dd.jpeg

born113

One of the Regulars
Yep, this is from a late 1920s Sears catalogue:
The old catalogs also have a lot of useful text descriptions of styles and materials. I met details about the spaciousness and purpose of the pockets. There are explanations for the sizes of different parts. And a lot of other things sometimes useful.
If someone haven't seen the catalogs in their entirety by any chance, I highly recommend checking them out. It can be very exciting :)

Edward

Bartender
The old catalogs also have a lot of useful text descriptions of styles and materials. I met details about the spaciousness and purpose of the pockets. There are explanations for the sizes of different parts. And a lot of other things sometimes useful.
If someone haven't seen the catalogs in their entirety by any chance, I highly recommend checking them out. It can be very exciting :)

Great for ideas for period looks and styles for those of us who want the full vintage look too. :)

zebedee

One Too Many
Were horizontal opening pockets - as opposed to slash pockets - a typically 1920's thing? I have tended to find that angled pockets are generally better in the rain, etc.

born113

One of the Regulars
Were horizontal opening pockets - as opposed to slash pockets - a typically 1920's thing? I have tended to find that angled pockets are generally better in the rain, etc.
Horizontal upper pockets are pockets specifically for cigarettes/tobacco (as stated in the old catalogs). The bottom horizontal pockets are cargo pockets. The bottom pockets were with different angles.

Finn Vigorous

One of the Regulars
I think the the horizontal pockets are exactly what make the work coat: they kind of break the flatness of the long front panel and pair nicely with the vertical yoke. They are also handier to use for storage than slash pockets, and deep enough to stay closed and protect items inside from rain.

Edward

Bartender

I think they were more a utilitarian thing. A workcoat was for men typically doing hard, manual labour - no time for standing around with their hands in the pockets. Handwarmer pockets for for guys standing around on downtime. Personally, I tend to go for whatever works best with the jacket visually. I think horizontal pockets look better in these mid-length jackets, and also they actually serve more a purpose. All my short jackets have handwarmers, but they're purely for show. I wouldn't risk keeping anything of value in a slash pocket with no zip, and I don't use them because it's more comfortable in a short jacket to have my hands in my trouser pockets.

born113

One of the Regulars
Great for ideas for period looks and styles for those of us who want the full vintage look too. :)
And to be honest, I didn't even think about it.
I was interested in considerations about the functionality of different parts of things. Anyone can also learn a lot about the properties/qualities/characteristics of materials. Naturally, all this also allows you to better understand the spirit of the times.
Particularly valuable information can be collected only bit by bit from all the catalogs mentioned. But even these catalogs are enough for anyone to notice the difference in materials from different times.
All titles/terms remain the same. But the quality and functionality have changed a lot.

Finn Vigorous

One of the Regulars
Thanks! It's been much loved ever since I got it some five years ago. Definitely underrated model in Aero's range and too rarely seen in here.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart