Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aero 1920s Work Coat

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
thanks for the photos Sloan. something similar from Sears 1927-8:

01_zps0e99d2dd.jpeg

Last edited:

Bunyip

Call Me a Cab
That's one of my favourite designs to date. I was about to jump into a teamster, I'm not sure if I need the Melton wool, I was under the impression it might be pretty heavy and possibly too warm to get heaps of use out of. I just love the lines, but until this post, I had no idea it was a slim fit...I'm a chunky 48....but I really love this design.....great purchase, and thanks for sharing.

Cooperson

One Too Many
wdw - That's one beautiful coat and a great fit! The Premier range is not for everyone, you do need a slim frame to feel comfortable in one. I think think it suits you perfectly, enjoy!

nick123

I'll Lock Up
I think the pockets are what make it. You have the big empty panels of a long jacket, interrupted by those tasteful pockets, which make it a pleasing balance.
On second look, it's not only the pockets. The horizontal seam, buttons, and pockets all make the look. Best Aero ever.

Last edited:

konadog

Practically Family
really terrific jacket. the back is truly striking. i just ordered a premier bootlegger because i also like the slimness and need a reason to stay away from pies.

wdw

One Too Many
Thanks again for the kind words, guys. I'm actually surprised there's so much positivity for it, given its apparent simplicity, but like people have pointed out, there's quite a bit of subtle detailing there.

Bunyip, I think the wool is maybe giving people a wrong impression of bulk and warmth. It's actually very thin and felt-like, much more like a slightly fuzzy standard tartan wool liner than a warm woollen sweater type of wool.

In fact, coming back home tonight, it was maybe 5-8°C, and I was definitely a bit too cold with just a thick shirt under. I'd say this jacket isn't noticeably warmer than any other, but probably there's technically a slight warmth advantage in this type of wool. I'd imagine Aero's alpaca lining is probably warmer.

Like I said before, if I need warmth, I'd choose a looser Stockman and wear a warm sweater under it, or better still just wear an Irvin.

Comparing this to the Teamster, which I had until recently, this is slimmer, with a very different and much simpler back. I prefer the pockets on the work coat as they can be used for storage, whereas the Teamster's are less useful in that respect.

The Teamster's a great jacket though, but I had too many and something had to go to make way for new stuff. The waist straps give the Teamster a nice pull in from the front, whereas the work coat has a less flattering straight front, like the Stockman.

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
What a stunner, really beautiful jacket and the fit looks spot on. IMHO cordovan was the best choice for this, it just looks great :eusa_clap

58panheadfan

One Too Many
Wdw, very nice jacket & perfect fit!

It seems new batch of cordovan has a more "cherry" appearance, compared to your pics & what I have seen recently in person - nevertheless a fantastic color!

schitzo

Suspended
I'm not able to view the pictures right now.. though I did briefly view the first page elsewhere and agree that it looks good on your back wdw.

I am just wondering, is this without facings? I thought I'd read somewhere that it is, but on the webpage there's no mention of it being with or without

wdw

One Too Many
Thanks again, guys.

Schitzo, if by facings you mean leather edging inside, there's none. Just the wool, with cotton sleeves and cord at the cuffs.

Lancaster

Familiar Face
That's a fine looking coat and the one I'm considering next, but I hear it may be too tight in the shoulders for me since mine are a bit broad. I have a thin frame though. I'm also told Aero will do little customization for this coat, or any in the Pemier range. Did you request anything? You could certainly have gotten a larger coat, right, or were you simply looking for a tight fitter? How effective do you find that back pleat at providing more room when you extend your arms forward?

wdw

One Too Many
Cliff, it's a standard build with no changes. I already have larger coats in the Stockman, and if I'd gone larger this would have been just a Stockman with a fancy back. It's definitely a neat fit, and the pleat doesn't make much difference, so I'd send Aero your measurements including shoulders and see what they recommend. Failing that, buy a Stockman, Cheyenne or VDR if you want a looser Aero.

Lancaster

Familiar Face
Thank you. That coat looks great on you and doesn't really appear to be all that tight fitting. Trim fitting jackets aren't my preference though. When I extend my arms my pits get too pinched and the sleeves pull way too far back. I drive a lot and that's the position I have to endure. I'm no hulk, but my outer pecs where they connect to my upper biceps are apparently larger than many, resulting in a loss of circulation with arms forward. What can help is a functional bi-swing back, but the type on this coat is, you're saying, not that functional. Another bi-swing design Aero used to incorporate into more of their jackets was largely non-functional, as well, and is seldom used now. I only see it on the Route 66 and a few biking jackets. I had a jacket of theirs with that design and it offered almost no function. I asked Aero about this and was told that design was more of a feature than one of function. The bottom attachment point of those pleats were too high for added extension. Perhaps that's why they use it less now, but the info they list for the Route 66 states " It has a bi-swing back for greater freedom of movement when driving or riding", so perhaps they've redesigned those pleats. I was hoping your jacket offered more in that way as well.

In years past Aero has cut jackets to all of my specifications, but Carrie at Thurston tells me "Aero doesn't adjust sizing in the chest and shoulders for individual customers". She may be referring only to this jacket or the Premier range and I'm waiting on a clarification of that. But it seems they won't take one of these with a stock shoulder configuration and make the body narrower either. She says these "requests cannot be done (Aero is soooo busy right now, so they aren't accepting major modifications to their Premium Pattern line)".

I'm considering the other jackets you mention plus more, primarily the Teamster. Especially if they're still making any of these to measure. Thanks for the info and enjoy yours!

wdw

One Too Many
@ProteinNerd, I actually got rid of this at least 6 months ago. I found it too restrictive and never really wore it. I wore the Stockman much more and replaced the Work Coat with a black Teamster, to replace the one I stupidly traded in before the WC.

I now have a cordovan Teamster coming next month, and at least I know that fit works for me.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24