Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aero A2 Contract numbers

Edward

Bartender
Recently 'accidentally' bought an Aero A2 on the 'Bay, and trying to figure out which model I have acquired. I know either way I got a deal as I paid significantly less than the new price for the cheapest possibility, and this has a couple of variations. It's a goat model (lovely hide - it has decided me on going for goat when I can afford the black Thirties halfbelt I want! Already experienced with Aero's goat - I have an AN6552 - but oh, is this nice...). Seal brown, with (I think) mid / light brown knits (significantly lighter than those on my AN6552, which are a close match for the seal brown. These are what I would describe as a 'milk chocolate' shade). Contract number on the label is 42-15142-P, same as the 'Real Deal' models - is this a made-up contract number Aero uses across several models? The jacket also has the red silk 'ace' lining. On the let breast there is a leather patch with the Ace & Four Sevens design:

7044c2c70fe40471_squadron%20patch1%20copy.jpg

(stock photo from Aero's website).

Anyone know which model this is I have?

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
42-15142-P is Aero's standard A-2 at present. It was a real AAF contract with Aero of Beacon, NY, but as veteran A-2ers will tell you, Aero Scotland doesn't try to replicate it faithfully. It's become a "house model" - only the general cut and hardware are used. The rest varies greatly - you have Jerky, Anniversary, Real Deal and other such models, seal and russet, and sometimes oil-pull and goat (as yours is).

Last edited:

aswatland

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Fletch is correct. The 42-15142-P was indeed a wartime contract dating from 1942. Most of the originals that I have seen from this contract were made from dark seal hh and had rust knits. They had either Crown or Talon zips.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Thanks Andrew. I wasn't aware of the specifics, except that they're usually wide-shouldered and short-bodied (both originals and repros).

BTW Ed, your patch is that of the 77th Fighter Squadron, an illustrious ETO unit that flew the P-38 and P-51.

Last edited:

Edward

Bartender
Thank-you, gentlemen. I suspected it might be that. Interestingly enough, it sounds like the Real Deal I originally had my eye on (seal with the reddish rust knits) is the most accurate variation, then. It's a shame Aero don't give that sort of information on their site, but then I suppose that their core business lies in their willingness to provide variations of hides, colours, etc that folks want, moreso than the exact replica market. I'm not so concerned myself with accuracy - I wear them as civilian jackets. Eventually I would like to have a Russett Read Deal with the rust knits; not, I think, a combination that happened on originals, but a sharp one IMO. FWIW, the fit of my goat jacket is very good; slim without being restrictive - definitely a jacket, not a shirt. lol Very similar to my Eastman A2, which is also a later contract (don't recall which one; it has rust knits and a seal body, though I'm sure I remember the seller saying that they were a special oreder and may not have been accurate to the contract that particular jacket replicates).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou