Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aero Badalassi Leather - Black

BraslinMclaslin

Familiar Face
Yes, there are some issues with the CXL HH delivery. I was Not aware of that, switched to baldassari after I saw a jacket that looked really stunning. It was a bit more expensive but very happy with it. Have you received yours yet?
I placed my order on 5/10/22, got the email about the CXL shortages the day after. I then emailed Holly asking to change the leather and bunch of other revisions, so it shouldn't be too long i presume.

Reactions: KcM

Salmosalar

A-List Customer
Thanks, it sounds great.

That Lewis sheep looks great, especially the deep green. I'm wary of how soft it is, though I've yet to hear from anyone who found it overly fragile for streetwear.
I have had no problem at all with the Lewis sheep - its pretty substantial and really a great hide - perfect for streetwear. I have two jackets in it, and my wife has a third - that and badalassi are among my favourite hides - I much prefer them to shinki, vicenza, CXL etc. The others that I place at the top of the list are my Thedi horsehide and my Lewis vegtan cowhide (that one is teacore though, but its not fast wearing and my jacket is still black throughout two years in…). Both badalassi and the LL sheep have a really lovely hand and depth of colour and they also have a fair amount of elasticity, so they are perfect for more form-fitting jackets.

MrProper

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I have had no problem at all with the Lewis sheep - its pretty substantial and really a great hide - perfect for streetwear. I have two jackets in it, and my wife has a third - that and badalassi are among my favourite hides - I much prefer them to shinki, vicenza, CXL etc. The others that I place at the top of the list are my Thedi horsehide and my Lewis vegtan cowhide (that one is teacore though, but its not fast wearing and my jacket is still black throughout two years in…). Both badalassi and the LL sheep have a really lovely hand and depth of colour and they also have a fair amount of elasticity, so they are perfect for more form-fitting jackets.
I agree with this. Soft but not fragile. Wears very pleasantly.

Salmosalar

A-List Customer
Here is a shot of the graining on my black badalssi Wayfarer, about 1 year in….this is a pretty substantial hide and has broken in really nicely over time.

Attachments

• 7E32EA89-F0C2-4825-916C-0D269344B027.jpeg
    7E32EA89-F0C2-4825-916C-0D269344B027.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 283

Aloysius

That is a great jacket. Thanks for the info. Somehow I had it in my mind that many of these old thick vintage jackets were vegetable tanned and the chrome tanned started later in the 1960’s-1970’s where you see that cracked flaky leather which almost looks like vinyl peeling with white underneath, some examples include the later Beck and Brimaco jackets.

I guess that was just a general quality issue from cheaper materials and mass production maybe.
I wonder if the 1930’s and 40’s jackets were still mostly chrome tanned

Veg tanned jackets are a modern workwear trend; historically unheard of for 20th century clothing with rare exceptions like the goat hides that were imported during WWII for the military.

Pandemic

One Too Many
What is the shine like on the black Badalassi? I see some pics that make it look like high gloss pvc and others where it looks as matte as Vic.

The black doesn’t have a brown teacore, right?

AerGuitar

A-List Customer
What is the shine like on the black Badalassi? I see some pics that make it look like high gloss pvc and others where it looks as matte as Vic.

It’s black all the way through. I’ve only had experience with one black Badalassi jacket, and it’s fairly new. Definitely has some shine to it, but with more and more wear it’s actually starting to subdue in areas. The gloss on this hide is hard for me to describe. Sounds odd, but it’s almost like sugar crystals. It’s quite nice.

Salmosalar

A-List Customer

I would not say it is an unnatural level of shine at all, and certainly not like pvc or patent finishes. Rather it is a deep gloss with real depth to it - I think photos often artificially amplify the shininess, and that is certainly what happens every time I try to capture it On my phone camera! In real life it is not so reflective and if anything I would say other high quality hides like that of my pony HH on my Field Leathers jacket are actually notably shinier than badalassi.

I would liken it to the effect of something like French Polish on antique furniture, where the finish gives huge depth of colour to the grain of the wood underneath in real life, but which tends to look overly glossy when snapped on a phone camera. The black badalassi I have looks exactly how many deep black vintage leathers look imo - and is perfect for biker style jackets - it is no more shiny than my old Lewis or Vanson jackets, for instance. The same goes for the brown shades - I am always surprised how shiny they look in my photos as in real life it is much more of a “rich gloss” and of all my hides the badalassi has the best true depth of colour - exceeding vicenza, CXL, shinki etc. and it gets richer and deeper with time and wear. It develops that lovely deep burnished effect, very like shell cordovan does on top tier shoes. Most of my other leathers look rather flat next to my badalassi hides and I think it is a really special leather - It gives a different flavour to fast wearing hides like CXL for instance, which I also like - but badalassi is far superior to my mind. My first two Aeros were CXL and I love both of them, but I won't be going back down that road given that badalassi is now on offer there - my last 5 smooth-grain Aeros have been badalassi in both black browns, and my next will also likely be badalassi in the new chestnut shade…..!

Ps - not, it is not teacore - it is dyed right through…

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
What these guys said about black Badalassi ^^^. I'm impressed. It's black through and through and the shine comes from the inside of the leather not just shiny plastic coating. Very luxurious feel. It's also thicker than the comparable horsehides like Shinki aniline, pony semi, Vicenza semi. Grains are very good too. Just feels very premium.

BraslinMclaslin

Familiar Face
This just arrived today. Aero Cafe Racer in Badalassi leather.

ed01d238-a35c-4b01-afa3-9db6099e22bb.jpg
092099f6-a379-4d97-8d9b-204f0077d836.jpg
4461e7b4-20e9-462d-84f1-9344682eedee.jpg
c7236e02-3e77-44bc-b532-55c63503754d.jpg

The Badalassi is very similiar/identical to a "Italian Veg Tan Steerhide" from Simmons Bilt. Below is my SB Tailgunner which i picked up from their outlet a couple months ago.

Attachments

• 49e5f526-10f2-4a41-91c6-cebbff3e7236.jpg
    49e5f526-10f2-4a41-91c6-cebbff3e7236.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 237
  • 46912111-7bdd-4378-b228-8828871c0573.jpg
    46912111-7bdd-4378-b228-8828871c0573.jpg
    128.1 KB · Views: 267

BraslinMclaslin

Familiar Face
Aero Badalassi and Simmons Bilt Italian Veg Tan Steerhide side by side

Whilst both are squeaky, the SB is on another level - that squeaks even when i'm not moving.

Both leathers feel solid and similiar pliability.

Both have shiny patinas straight out of the box.

I am convinced that they're the same type of leather.

0cd06500-f354-40af-a7fa-bb5817cacb74.jpg

SB left - Aero right
1f787b95-73ed-4712-8c36-f4301fe60f83.jpg

Aero right - SB left

MrProper

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails