Aero Board Racer fit

Discussion in 'Outerwear' started by d z, May 15, 2021.

1. d z

d z New in Town

A fit jacket for the Aero Board Racer recently arrived, and I wanted to get some thoughts on the overall fit. In general, I think the sizing is on point, but the length is something I'm wondering about.

Carrie over at Thurston mentions that they like the Board Racer a little shorter, but curious about y'all thoughts.

I'm 6 feet, 180, and this is a size 40.

I'm planning to wear this mostly with just a t-shirt with a thin sweater.

The chest is tight, but can be zipped up. I could probably go a little looser there, but not sure if its a full size up to size 42.

(That also might solve itself if once I make some progress on the pandemic 15 I picked up over the past year)

Screen Shot 2021-05-15 at 3.22.14 AM.png Screen Shot 2021-05-15 at 3.21.58 AM.png Screen Shot 2021-05-15 at 3.21.34 AM.png Screen Shot 2021-05-15 at 3.21.15 AM.png Screen Shot 2021-05-15 at 3.20.49 AM.png

2. Marc mndt

Marc mndt Call Me a Cab

It's hard to assess the body length with the shirt untucked, but overall it looks like a perfect fit to me. If I were you I'd keep this fit jacket.

handymike likes this.
  3. Riu

Riu Practically Family

Looks like a t-shirt only jacket, not sure how it will feel and look with another layer. Great fit, I definitely like the Board Racer fit more than the Cafe Racer since it's better for my body shape and by the looks of it for yours too.

Last edited: May 15, 2021
  4. TooManyHatsOnlyOneHead

TooManyHatsOnlyOneHead One Too Many

exactly how a CR should fit. you're getting the classic Aero "neck line". I thought this was more an issue on the Sheene and Cafe Racer pattern especially with CXL. I'm guessing the BR is Vicenza?

Personally I've grown past it and don't care, but it's an interesting phenomena. Not sure going bigger will fix it but at the cost of having an overall nice fit now. What are you spec'ing different that this is a fit jacket?

Marc mndt likes this.
  5. MrProper

MrProper One Too Many

I would just keep the jacket as it is.

6. Carlos840

Carlos840 I'll Lock Up

Keep it, it won't get any better than that.
    Longer would be too long, bigger would be too big.

Alexlutov likes this.
  7. bn1966

bn1966 Call Me a Cab

Looks great on you, might be worth trying a 42 too for comparison if you have any doubts.

TREEMAN likes this.
  8. dudewuttheheck

dudewuttheheck My Mail is Forwarded Here

Looks spot on. Cafe racers should fit slim. This is a solid fit.

9. navetsea

navetsea I'll Lock Up

I like the fit, the back length is fine, I wish the front hem have more drop, for a jacket with that much splay from the bottom of the front hem to the zipper box it would be cooler if there is some drop, in that length and with almost no front drop the zipper box can be just 1" from the hem no need to be that high, so perhaps drop the zipper 2" down maybe or ask aero to give more prominent front drop if possible imo.

Frank Castle and bn1966 like this.
  10. Psant25

Psant25 One Too Many

I need to be able to breathe in my jackets. If I had one tight in the chest and barely able to zip then its a no go for me.

Frank Castle, bn1966 and Mich486 like this.
  11. Will Zach

Will Zach One Too Many

Perfect.

12. AeroFan_07

AeroFan_07 My Mail is Forwarded Here

Does not look bad as-is. For a truley proper assesment, you should tuck in the shirt & zip the sleeves shut.

13. JustinW

JustinW Practically Family

Personally, I’d add a 2” drop to the front. If Aero won’t do that, then I think this is as close to perfect as you will get. Well done!

Frank Castle likes this.
  14. handymike

handymike I'll Lock Up

My Seven (board racer with collar) had a 2” drop in the front, so it can and should be done on your BR. Please show us with the shirt tucked in. For me the zipper should start at or below the belt buckle. On a standard BR, the zipper-box is too high up. You can order it lower! They do this based on a longer jacket design, but when they go shorter they need to adjust the hardware.

HoosierDaddy and Jin431 like this.
  15. Bfd70

Bfd70 Call Me a Cab

Looks good for standing and posing. Zip it up and see if you can drive a car. Jacket that looks good without function is a dust collector.

El Marro likes this.
  16. Jasonindenver

Jasonindenver Familiar Face

I ordered my Seven (BR w/ collar) one size up from my normal 42 suit jacket size. The 42 felt like a strait jacket. I could not move my arms without the armholes digging into my pits and the chest constricting my breathing. The 44 feels great but the high armholes are still taking some time to break in and I do feel them digging in when I wear anything other than just a t shirt.

I added an inch added body length and the zipper lowered to start 1.5” from bottom hem. This eliminated the splay entirely without creating any bunching or riding up when seated. I really would advise having the bottom of the jacket ending at the bottom of your belt.

handymike likes this.
  17. d z

d z New in Town

Thanks all for the feedback! Good point about tucking in to see the belt line, realized afterwards the fit pics weren't the most useful in judging length.

Here are some updated ones!

I'm thinkin mayyybe an extra inch at the bottom, the zippers end a bit above the belt

Screen Shot 2021-05-15 at 3.40.28 PM.png Screen Shot 2021-05-15 at 3.40.14 PM.png Screen Shot 2021-05-15 at 3.39.57 PM.png

18. Jasonindenver

Jasonindenver Familiar Face

Another inch should be about perfect. They can also lower the zipper a touch but it won’t be as vital with the lowered body length. That style does suit you!!!

navetsea likes this.
  19. Psant25

Psant25 One Too Many

I think maybe 1 inch added to body and 1/2 inch added to sleeve imo.

HoosierDaddy, navetsea and handymike like this.
  20. handymike

handymike I'll Lock Up

Add an inch to the length, and drop the zipper box 2 inches from where it is currently. The extra 1/2 on sleeves is a good idea as they might ride up a little in time.