Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aero Board racer zipper splits open

SlimJim

New in Town
Is this a common problem?
My jacket is Less than 1 year old but I have been wearing it frequently.
And it recently started having a zipper problem where the zipper teeth come apart below the zipper pull all the way down to the zipper stop while I am riding the bike. And it becomes a cape with sleeves leaving my belly cold.
I like the Vicenza leather but I am disappointed in the durability of the zipper.
I have contacted a leather shop for an estimate.
How much does it usually cost to get the zipper replaced on a leather jacket?

TIA.

TooManyHatsOnlyOneHead

Call Me a Cab
Before you go for full blown zipper replacement, you can try a few tricks. First is apply some light pressure with pliers to the slider. Sometimes when the teeth slip it's because they weren't properly fitted together when zipping up. Another trick I laughed at when i first heard it, but to my surprise actually worked, is taking a lead pencil and rubbing it along the teeth on both sides. I guess the dust creates some sort of build up to get better traction. Not sure how often you have to re-apply, but it helped with one of my jackets.

If that doesn't work, a proper zipper replacement, like from someone who is not going to install a whole new line of stitch holes and mangle everything is about $100-125.

As far as Aero zipper issues, get in line. It's their Achilles heel. Although, I'm surprised with lighter Vic you're having an issue. The usual problem is the tiny #5 zipper with their super thick CXL.

photo2u

Call Me a Cab
Is this a common problem?
My jacket is Less than 1 year old but I have been wearing it frequently.
And it recently started having a zipper problem where the zipper teeth come apart below the zipper pull all the way down to the zipper stop while I am riding the bike. And it becomes a cape with sleeves leaving my belly cold.
I like the Vicenza leather but I am disappointed in the durability of the zipper.
I have contacted a leather shop for an estimate.
How much does it usually cost to get the zipper replaced on a leather jacket?

TIA.

LOL. Rocket if you have the abs! I do not. Fat as hell. Try Dena. She along with other fine friends from the forum can do the job well. If you lucky, the shipping is 30 dollars each way. Here is her link just in case you do not already know it: https://www.greatleather.com/restore.php#sprices
If you need a NOS 40s-70s #10 zip, let me know.

Attachments

• IMG_5283.jpg
    IMG_5283.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 70

Dumpster Diver

Practically Family
Same happened to me with a relatively new-ish Jacket. I couldn't get the pull to work right... I took the Jacket back to the shop and they did a fine replacement, no 'alteration' IE mangled Stitch holes..added some Elbow pads too...can't remember it was like $40 bucks...I wore that Zipper out too and replaced it with something off another Jacket by hand...A brass zipper.

Jasonindenver

One of the Regulars
Second on the DIY adjustment with a pair of pliers with one modification. Use vise grips instead.

Position the pliers on one side of the zipper with the pliers locked and adjusted to be slightly wider than the zipper pull. Next, tighten the adjustment knob with the handles already in the locked position to where it is snug on the wings of the zipper pull. Release the handles and tighten the adjustment knob very, very slightly.

Clamp the adjusted pliers down on the same spot on the zipper pull. Do the same on the other side of the pull. Again, very slight pressure is all that is needed.

This should be all you need. If you feel the zipper is now too tight, use a wide blade flat head screw driver to fine tune it.

Dumpster Diver

Practically Family
Delicately!!!! I've finished enough pulls off that way trying to bend them back into shape, they can already have a crack which is why the zipper fails.

SlimJim

New in Town
Before you go for full blown zipper replacement, you can try a few tricks. First is apply some light pressure with pliers to the slider. Sometimes when the teeth slip it's because they weren't properly fitted together when zipping up. Another trick I laughed at when i first heard it, but to my surprise actually worked, is taking a lead pencil and rubbing it along the teeth on both sides. I guess the dust creates some sort of build up to get better traction. Not sure how often you have to re-apply, but it helped with one of my jackets.

If that doesn't work, a proper zipper replacement, like from someone who is not going to install a whole new line of stitch holes and mangle everything is about $100-125.

As far as Aero zipper issues, get in line. It's their Achilles heel. Although, I'm surprised with lighter Vic you're having an issue. The usual problem is the tiny #5 zipper with their super thick CXL.
I used pliers to pinch the puller little bit and the zipper has not come open since. Thank you.

I love this Vicenza leather jacket. Although I had to get it fitted by Johnson leathers in SF after purchase, the Vicenza leather jacket continues to be impressive.
I have ridden my bike in light to heavy passing rain multiple times and I am surprised by how water resistant it is.
I only wish there was a strip of leather flap behind the main zipper to keep the cold air out.

robrinay

One Too Many
Ask Aero for a replacement puller and instructions of how to change them over. Cheap and effective! - (they’ll probably send it for free)

Last edited:

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
That's so true.
The cross zip jackets that I have ordered from LL are taking forever...
That was my poor attempt at making fun of my Aero's too. Haha.

LL can be a hit and miss with lead times. I had super fast turn around time but that was during the early summer months.

How's your Masaye jacket?

SlimJim

New in Town
That was my poor attempt at making fun of my Aero's too. Haha.

LL can be a hit and miss with lead times. I had super fast turn around time but that was during the early summer months.

Masaye jacket was fitted more snug than my Aero BR and because I have been layering due to cold weather, I have not been wearing Masaye much. Also, the sleeves are not attached for riding position so when I ride, a crease forms across the upper back. I will wear it more when it gets to 70's.

SlimJim

New in Town

My LL Cyclone arrived a while ago and it is a tight fit model and it fits great.

And the Masaye jacket is all I wear when I ride nowadays.
It is so easy to wear.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ