Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aero Bootlegger for riding?

desertdog

New in Town
Would an Aero Bootlegger make a good riding jacket? Do the sleeves zip? Is the back longer than the front to cover the lower back when riding? Are the arms positioned so the jacket doesn't pull up when you raise your arms to reach for the bars. I ride Harleys and my arms are level with my shoulders when sitting on the bike.

kyboots

Practically Family
Would an Aero Bootlegger make a good riding jacket? Do the sleeves zip? Is the back longer than the front to cover the lower back when riding? Are the arms positioned so the jacket doesn't pull up when you raise your arms to reach for the bars. I ride Harleys and my arms are level with my shoulders when sitting on the bike.
Yes for most of those. I love my bootlegger.

I second the notion above but to answer your specifics:
Sleeve zips need to be spec'd
The hem is straight across no dip front or back, spec the length accordingly
If I were to use it as a riding jacket I'd spec a full action back
I have a zip sleeve, zip pocket bootlegger and tho I don't wear it to ride in its easily my favorite jacket and could readily serve that purpose.
image.jpeg

The Bootlegger is my favorite streetwear jacket. I custom ordered mine with zip sleeves. I say no to the questions, though. The BootLegger doesn't have a bi-swing back and it, also, does ride up when reaching for the handlebars. I ride with a more dedicated MC jacket that has better features for motorcycle riding.
HD

Ribdoner

A-List Customer
My brown BOOTLEGGER is also my fav everyday jacket (unless the temp is below 20 or above 60), my Vanson HH COLORADO (circa 2001) is by far my fav riding jacket.

desertdog

New in Town
Great looking jackets. Thanks for the replies and pictures. I didn't think the Bootlegger was a good riding jacket and these posts confirmed that. As much as I like this jacket it is simply not cut as a serious motorcycle jacket. For me, any jacket that is straight cut at the bottom is not suitable as a riding jacket.

I tend to agree. I have two Vanson leathers that I use for riding. I never intended my bootlegger to be a riding jacket and didn't spec it as such. TBH if you're looking for a dedicated piece of gear, personally, I'd highly recommend Vanson.

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
Having owned these as well, I would agree with Tony, Vanson makes excellent riding jackets with more of the proper shape.

Guppy

I'll Lock Up
The Bootlegger is more of a proto moto jacket. It is like an evolutionary throwback in the design of the true motorcycle jacket. It's passable in a pinch, but surpassed by later innovations. Still an attractive jacket, just not the best choice today for a practical motorcycle jacket.

Bern1

One of the Regulars
Bootlegger is an awesome jacket and I want one!
For out on the town and drinking.
For riding, I'll take my LW Easy Ryder.

Edward

Bartender
My Bootlegger was the first big-ticket leather jacket I bought, and I still love it. You could ride in it in the same way as you could ride in a Schott or a Buco... It won't give you the level of protection that you'll have in an armoured jacket, and if you ride a racer style bike, you might find it riding up a bit when you crouch over the tank. You pays your money and you takes your choice....

cuchulain

Familiar Face
Let's be honest, there are much better options for riding besides a typical riding leather jacket with no real padding and a pair of jeans that most people ride in. Hit the ground at 75 with this bootlegger and a pair of jeans, or a Vanson Model B and a pair of jeans, you'll likely end up just as maimed.

When riding we tend to sacrifice function for form, we don't like to ride our Harley's looking like we're about to land on mars, even though it undoubtedly offers much better protection.

That said I always rode with a Vanson Model B until I shrunk, now I just use an old Schott Perfecto I got off eBay.

Edited to add, the bootlegger jackets posted here look great, I never considered the jacket but it really is a nice looking jacket, everything I like about the Perfecto but not as flashy with all the chrome snaps and zippers.

Edited to add, the bootlegger jackets posted here look great, I never considered the jacket but it really is a nice looking jacket, everything I like about the Perfecto but not as flashy with all the chrome snaps and zippers.
Exactly why I bought one! Of all the Aero patterns I've had, the bootlegger is hands down my fav.

ProteinNerd

My Mail is Forwarded Here

Exactly why I bought one! Of all the Aero patterns I've had, the bootlegger is hands down my fav.

Exactly my reasoning too.....perfectos are just a little "too much" for me. The bootlegger has all the styling without the trying.

Mark

Practically Family
I have been thinking of the Bootlegger too exclusively for riding my Harley. Currently using my uncool Cirrus A2. It does the job but don't look too good. Nearly went for a Diamond Dave 333 but in the end feel as some have said that these jackets are just a bit too much plus they usually have that belt affair which I am sure will scratch your tank without much effort. Equally think café racer styles are too minimalist! The Bootlegger on the other hand is a nice mix between the two. Think will have to go the Alexander route though as zipped sleeves are a must for riding (Aero I don't think do them). Guess I need to start saving the pennies.

I have been thinking of the Bootlegger too exclusively for riding my Harley. Currently using my uncool Cirrus A2. It does the job but don't look too good. Nearly went for a Diamond Dave 333 but in the end feel as some have said that these jackets are just a bit too much plus they usually have that belt affair which I am sure will scratch your tank without much effort. Equally think café racer styles are too minimalist! The Bootlegger on the other hand is a nice mix between the two. Think will have to go the Alexander route though as zipped sleeves are a must for riding (Aero I don't think do them). Guess I need to start saving the pennies.
Aero will do any sleeve you want! Mine above have zip sleeves and all pockets zip close as well. If you want to ride in it tho I'd highly, highly recommend a full action back.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo