Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aero Buffalo Check Wool and Leather jacket

tmitchell59

I'll Lock Up
I'm a fan of the leather/wool combo jackets. The vintage examples are impossible to find. The jacket below has no name, but probably from Japan. I prefer the wool base jacket with leather trim. I don't like the leather sleeves on this Aero example. I believe I have seen other Aeros that I did like.

There are some interesting examples in the Sears catalogs that show up in the 40s. Today Japan makes many in this style if you wear a smaller size.

DSC00389.jpg
DSC00403.jpg
DSC01011.jpg
DSC01017.jpg

This funky jacket was cool, but too small for me. Sold it here I believe.

DSC01782.jpg
DSC01788.jpg

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I'd love to see it with a better combo of wool and leather. I don't think the black and red with the brown is doing it any favors. Maybe I still wouldn't like it, but I think a better combo would help.

Both materials are great on their own, but I don't think they work well together here.
That was my impression. I remember that kind of wool, though, as my dad had a coat made of it. Kind of like loden - very, very warm. In another combo and a different climate? Absolutely.

tmitchell59

I'll Lock Up
I just read Aero's description, I just reacted to the combo. Aero has a tradition of using vintage jackets in their creations. They have a keen knowledge base. Looks like they sourced a vintage wool. That makes it more interesting. They don't mention the source of the pattern. I've collected what pictures I can of combo jackets from the 40s looking for a "Combo of Combos". Aeros wool would be a great base, just different trim. It is a traditional looking color/pattern.

I have two vintage wool jackets, no leather trim, that I bought to use as patterns for my Combo. Someday I will get a design down and have one made.

Here is one with leather sleeves I like, I like very much. It is a Sears Hercules. I believe it is pictured in their catalog in the mid 40s.

I'm editing this to include: This is not my jacket. If you own it let me know.

s-l1600.jpg
D.jpg

This is from the 1945 Sears catalog
32101_B018008-00200.jpg

Last edited:

tmitchell59

I'll Lock Up
@tmitchell59 I like that one very much.

That jacket sold on ebay some time back. It brought a good price. I don't recall the size. This is the combo jacket that stands out. I forgot it had leather sleeves. I need to look at all the pics, there are a variety of designs I may be forgetting one.

They don't show up in the Sears catalog until 1941 and are not in their catalog in the 50s. I will have to do a Sears history on these combo jackets. They did not last long, may be the reason so few are seen today.

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
This is the kind of info you can only get here on the FL. I stopped off briefly at the Style Forum the other day and was appalled at the obsession with status and lack of real interest in the garments themselves.This place always has threads like this that are knowledgeable and accurate. Thanks are due to Terry and the Pirates.

I'm a fan of the leather/wool combo jackets. The vintage examples are impossible to find. The jacket below has no name, but probably from Japan. I prefer the wool base jacket with leather trim. I don't like the leather sleeves on this Aero example. I believe I have seen other Aeros that I did like.

There are some interesting examples in the Sears catalogs that show up in the 40s. Today Japan makes many in this style if you wear a smaller size.

View attachment 248534 View attachment 248535 View attachment 248536 View attachment 248537

This funky jacket was cool, but too small for me. Sold it here I believe.

View attachment 248538 View attachment 248539
Man I’d kill for either one of those in my size. I absolutely love the mixed media/wool and leather combo. To me these jackets just ooze style. No surprise that the ultimate connoisseur owned them both. You never fail to impress and educate T!

dudewuttheheck

I'll Lock Up
That jacket sold on ebay some time back. It brought a good price. I don't recall the size. This is the combo jacket that stands out. I forgot it had leather sleeves. I need to look at all the pics, there are a variety of designs I may be forgetting one.

They don't show up in the Sears catalog until 1941 and are not in their catalog in the 50s. I will have to do a Sears history on these combo jackets. They did not last long, may be the reason so few are seen today.
I would love to learn more history about that. At most, a 9 year run? No wonder they're rare.

tmitchell59

I'll Lock Up
I would love to learn more history about that. At most, a 9 year run? No wonder they're rare.

I just did a quick review of the Sears catalogs. The first to be called Combination jackets are in 1937 and they are what we call today Grizzly jackets. The first is shown on a youth model. The "Grizzly" jackets continue for a few years, maybe 3-4 then they disappear. Varsity style jackets are also shown around 1937. 1940 show more leather trimmed jackets, by 1948 there are none.

The wool/leather seem to make up for the lack of leather during the war years. Leather jackets are very sparse in the Sears catalog during the war. In the 1945 catalog the only full leather jackets are for boys, there are none for adult males. All coats/jackets are all wool or a combination jacket as pictured above.

torfjord

Call Me a Cab
Did anyone else notice they changed the jacket model to a green and black wool with black leather? Less exciting collar on the new jacket compared to the red/black and cordovan they previously had there.

dudewuttheheck

I'll Lock Up
I just did a quick review of the Sears catalogs. The first to be called Combination jackets are in 1937 and they are what we call today Grizzly jackets. The first is shown on a youth model. The "Grizzly" jackets continue for a few years, maybe 3-4 then they disappear. Varsity style jackets are also shown around 1937. 1940 show more leather trimmed jackets, by 1948 there are none.

The wool/leather seem to make up for the lack of leather during the war years. Leather jackets are very sparse in the Sears catalog during the war. In the 1945 catalog the only full leather jackets are for boys, there are none for adult males. All coats/jackets are all wool or a combination jacket as pictured above.

Oh wow that's quite interesting. I suppose it makes sense given how many leather jackets were being made for the military. If Levis had to trim down the features of their jeans, it shouldn't be surprising that the same could happen for other types of clothing.

Thanks for all the info, this is really good stuff!

dudewuttheheck

I'll Lock Up
Did anyone else notice they changed the jacket model to a green and black wool with black leather? Less exciting collar on the new jacket compared to the red/black and cordovan they previously had there.
I just saw that. IMO the leather and wool combo is infinitely better than the previous version though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24