Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aero Cafe Racer fit check

newtojackets

Practically Family
I feel like I have spammed this website every time I get a new jacket to get some fit feedback

Anyway here’s some more spam:

Just picked up this jacket used as the measurements seemed like a good fit to me. You guys weren’t lying about the drop on the cafe racer. Do you think this is a keeper:
6114CA10-5766-4796-8687-7D92D7F41481.jpeg A984AC08-FA23-4EEC-8A86-7642C24FD757.jpeg

I do already own a board racer (which imo fits slightly better), but I’m thinking due to the pattern differences, I can actually layer with the cafe racer for colder months. Pics of my board racer below for comparison

6C1C1199-0B06-4BA7-9EAC-A657D2FE5EC3.jpeg

newtojackets

Practically Family
Also quick side note from me, bought jackets are chromexcel but wow the cafe racer is so much softer. The owner said he ‘oiled the jacket regularly’ and I’m not sure if it was because of this, but it really does not feel stiff at all. Also quite a bit of teacore showing through, giving this black jacket brown undertones

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
Great fit on both! Keepers.

I was gonna say what kind of leather is on the Cafe Racer. I'm shocked it's CXL. It drapes surprisingly well. What kind of oil did the previous owner use? I use mink oil to soften things but not to your jacket's level of drape-ness. Is it neatsfoot oil or some other type of oil?

newtojackets

Practically Family
Great fit on both! Keepers.

I was gonna say what kind of leather is on the Cafe Racer. I'm shocked it's CXL. It drapes surprisingly well. What kind of oil did the previous owner use? I use mink oil to soften things but not to your jacket's level of drape-ness. Is it neatsfoot oil or some other type of oil?
Indeed it feels nothing like what I would expect from CXL. To be honest I’m not entirely sure what oil he used. If you would find it useful I can ask him?

Have attached a few more photos of the leather below. Definitely looks like chromexcel just smoother and slightly less shine.

EE953B92-B41F-4091-8308-D258241C0133.jpeg 4CB45FFC-6A8C-4424-B6DC-8B835C7F9B35.jpeg E0895482-535B-4F2D-95A5-B3387448B9E5.jpeg D2EC12D4-5589-44E8-ABE7-658F94FBCC9F.jpeg

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
Indeed it feels nothing like what I would expect from CXL. To be honest I’m not entirely sure what oil he used. If you would find it useful I can ask him?

Have attached a few more photos of the leather below. Definitely looks like chromexcel just smoother and slightly less shine.

View attachment 486379 View attachment 486380 View attachment 486381 View attachment 486382
Definitely, if you can find out the type of oil used please share it here.

I have a bunch of CXL jackets and I have not had one that drape like your, except the thinner ones but those don't count. Your's looks thick and drapy. And the finish is still very new looking too. Just incredible. Just double checking, it stays drapy regardless of temperature right? Does it go back to stiff board when its cold?

newtojackets

Practically Family

I have a bunch of CXL jackets and I have not had one that drape like your, except the thinner ones but those don't count. Your's looks thick and drapy. And the finish is still very new looking too. Just incredible. Just double checking, it stays drapy regardless of temperature right? Does it go back to stiff board when it’s cold?
Yep stays draping. Unlike my board racer which gets softer as it heats up, this is always soft! Will send him a message and try finding out

torfjord

Call Me a Cab
I think it looks like a good fit in the body. Seems like the right size for you. How does it look from the back?

However, it does have the prominent “Aero wrinkles” that run from the neck to the armpits:

7B753ED6-1E38-418B-BC33-3FEE1C7FBD25.jpeg

It makes me wonder: is it comfortable to wear or does it feel like the whole weight of the jacket rests on your neck?
These wrinkles are a result of a well known pattern issue that Aero has, which I think is a combination of shoulder slope and small neck hole. This results in a jacket fit that rests on the neck rather than across the back of the wearer and makes for an uncomfortable experience. Not every Aero jacket has this and not every person wearing Aero experience this. But a significant proportion of the Aero’s I see worn does exhibit these lines. Most of the Aero’s I’ve owned have had this problem.

newtojackets

Practically Family
I think it looks like a good fit in the body. Seems like the right size for you. How does it look from the back?

However, it does have the prominent “Aero wrinkles” that run from the neck to the armpits:

View attachment 486405

It makes me wonder: is it comfortable to wear or does it feel like the whole weight of the jacket rests on your neck?
These wrinkles are a result of a well known pattern issue that Aero has, which I think is a combination of shoulder slope and small neck hole. This results in a jacket fit that rests on the neck rather than across the back of the wearer and makes for an uncomfortable experience. Not every Aero jacket has this and not every person wearing Aero experience this. But a significant proportion of the Aero’s I see worn does exhibit these lines. Most of the Aero’s I’ve owned have had this problem.
Here’s the back:
57C6A545-1997-46F3-8E3A-390CADD4EB91.jpeg
It does look slightly big but not too much excess fabric I think?

I know the exact neck issue you talk about but it is less noticeable on this jacket than my board racer

newtojackets

Practically Family
A bit of extra material in the back, but nothing excessive. Fits you nicely!
Thanks! Agreed there is a bit of extra material in the upper back, though it does help with mobility. I guess this is why I like love action backs, best of both worlds!

newtojackets

Practically Family

I have a bunch of CXL jackets and I have not had one that drape like your, except the thinner ones but those don't count. Your's looks thick and drapy. And the finish is still very new looking too. Just incredible. Just double checking, it stays drapy regardless of temperature right? Does it go back to stiff board when its cold?
He told me he primarily used:

1. Renapur Leather Balsam
2. Dubbin (I suspect this may be the main ingredient that softens it)

He also used a bit of Eastman Horse Balm (though supposedly not much).

Hope this helps!

RedWolf

New in Town

View attachment 486405

My board racer has these wrinkles. I been interested in a cafe racer in brown. The cut of the board racer is very snug in the shoulders on my build.

Attachments

• 1675527414779938177238726671905.jpg
    1675527414779938177238726671905.jpg
    706 KB · Views: 115

torfjord

Call Me a Cab
My board racer has these wrinkles. I been interested in a cafe racer in brown. The cut of the board racer is very snug in the shoulders on my build.

I don’t think this is caused by snug shoulders as you see this on more roomy Aero jackets as well.

dudewuttheheck

I'll Lock Up
Looks slightly big in the back, but not by much. If you're going to layer then it's great. Just weirdly wrinkly in the body. Is that common for the Aero Cafe racers?

Al 916

One Too Many
We used to use Dubbin on our rugby boots when I was a schoolboy, I can still remember the (not unpleasant) smell, great suff. I was not aware it was still about.

I think your CR looks great on you (the Board Racer too). You are wearing a hoody under so I think maybe some of the creases might be driven by that.

I must say that these two are in my opinion your best fitting jackets, and should have a solid place in your wardrobe.

....and, my CR is also a horse and very soft (although mine is a russet).

20221112_174812.jpg
20221112_174732.jpg
_20220713_173420.JPG

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ