Aero Cafe Racer - Keeper? ( Fit Pics)

Discussion in 'Outerwear' started by jpk_NJ, Jun 13, 2019.

1. navetsea

navetsea Call Me a Cab

the collar is nice, I think the sleeve is just still a bit flat, once it is taking shape of your arm and not flaring out like that it might not look that big, the same with pit to pit, the jacket is still new and 2 dimensional, once it settle into more rounded it won't look as wide, sure it will never look snug fit, but I think it would make more interesting creases on the back and on the body overtime than a snug jacket.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2019
    nick123 likes this.
  2. jpk_NJ

jpk_NJ A-List Customer

Agreed it would fit better. If only it was the regular FQHH or CXL Steer.

I like longer "stacked" sleeves when broken in, gives it some interesting creases similar to long denim jeans. It's just the excess 1.5" in chest that won't go away as its breaks in. Everything else would improved and look good I think. But that sloppy chest makes the chest pockets stick out like man boobs and crease near the underarm. That part will never look good so back to the drawing board

Psant25 likes this.
  3. John D Maccarter

John D Maccarter A-List Customer

You better do it now while it's new because you dont want to hold on to it to "see how it feels/looks" as it breaks in. I think you will end up posting it in the classifieds fs "as new" and take a hit, and be waiting to sell, and be without a wearable cr. Do yourself the favor and bust a move. That's my opinion. Hope you end up with a killer cr

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

HoosierDaddy likes this.
  4. handymike

handymike I'll Lock Up

The collar looks odd to me... too big of a neck-hole. Sorry.

5. Arizor

Arizor Familiar Face

Agree it’s too big, the sleeves look absurdly long for your arms. Definitely sell/trade/return mate.

6. Will Zach

Will Zach One of the Regulars

I guess The Lounge has spoken...;)

7. Seb Lucas

Seb Lucas I'll Lock Up

Now that's some good advice. The fit on these things often looks like a bit of a parody of the male shape and I would want to make precisely those adjustments - I go from 41 to 32 also but this is too much.

felix03 likes this.
  8. Rich22

Rich22 One of the Regulars

Try to exchange it, I'd say. Shoulder seams are sliding off the edge of your shoulder, sleeves appear too wide and far too long, collar looks a bit off, and the jacket length is excessive.

9. dudewuttheheck

dudewuttheheck One Too Many

IMO everything about this jacket looks too large from the pictures shown.

HoosierDaddy likes this.
  10. zebedee

zebedee Practically Family

The length is fine (I think that shorter jackets hitting above the belt look awkward on blokes - especially on me, but on everyone else, too - if you have to high-waist or yoink your trousers up unnaturally, it's no go). A 25.5 or 26 inch back would be exactly what I'd want on this style, but the sleeves are too wide and too long. It's a pity- with time, you might not care about it as it breaks in, but it's probably better to move this on if you aren't entirely happy.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2019
  11. jpk_NJ

jpk_NJ A-List Customer

It's definitely being sent back as Aero advertised a Size 40 w 22.75 pit but it's actually a 23.5 (probably 23.75). So it threw the fit off. I would have kept it otherwise and let the long arms/body crease up/wrinkle as it broke in. Emailed them Thursday night and still no response. Kind of disappointing customer service if you ask me. But we'll see when they get back to me.

Ideally Im trying to exchange this for a new order of this one I found on their sale page. Sold but the measurements / style appear to be spot on for me. Assuming a new production could hit these same numbers. If they aren't confident they can make it happen, I'll just get the refund and take my $$$ elsewhere.

Screen Shot 2019-06-17 at 6.17.05 PM.png

12. dan_t

dan_t Practically Family

Note that the picture above is for a Board Racer, not a Cafe Racer. They really are very different shapes.

Peter Bowden and HoosierDaddy like this.
  13. Seb Lucas

Seb Lucas I'll Lock Up

I'm not sure it is helpful to view the barely one inch difference (which is a small issue) as the primary fit issue. Clearly there are significantly more fit issues than that. Besides, masurements are usually within tolerances of half an inch. I have jackets with pit to pits that vary by 2 inches and the difference can't be seen.

sweetfights and Carlos840 like this.
  14. Psant25

Psant25 A-List Customer

I don’t understand why there is so much variance in a given size for the same model. A size 40 cafe racer pattern should come out with a pit to pit the same size and maybe 1/2 inch off max. Same for shoulder.

15. Arizor

Arizor Familiar Face

Agree, it’s not like they grow these things in the ground and just hope they come out right.

Psant25 likes this.
  16. Psant25

Psant25 A-List Customer

I have wanted to pull the trigger on another aero but that drives me nuts. I had over the years 4-5 vanson model b size 40. All dead on p2p, sleeve, shoulder, back

Arizor likes this.
  17. dan_t

dan_t Practically Family

Well, these are hand-made products from what surely must be some of the most difficult materials to handle (heavy, thick hides).
    I’d say that would account for a reasonable level of variation.

sweetfights likes this.
  18. jpk_NJ

jpk_NJ A-List Customer

True. Some variation, id say <1/2 inch is acceptable. At 1/2 or more no go.

But this specific case should have had 0 variation since the jacket was already made up / a written hang tag was wrote up w measurements. Aero did get back to me this morning and provided shipping / DHL back to them. Possibly an exchange for another item in stock if they have something suitable not yet up on the sale page.

Front side chest pic for those who might be interested. No way is that 22.75” pit! Mistakes happen I guess. I’m just a magnet for them lately

5382229C-052E-471C-A947-C8091F028419.jpeg

19. Seb Lucas

Seb Lucas I'll Lock Up

Always hard to tell from a photo but I would say it is reasonable to call that 23 inches (particularity if the tape was held tighter) which is close to what they said on the label.

I think the real lesson for Aero is not to give such specific (eg .75) measurements and be clear that depending on how you measure it might look smaller or larger.

20. Carlos840

Carlos840 Call Me a Cab

It's also a bit unfair to pretend the jacket didn't fit because of a 0.5" difference in chest!
    Even if it was actually 22.75" it would still have been too wide in the shoulders, too wide in the back, 2" too long in both body and arms, and still have huge baggy arms.
    The problem is that he should have ordered a size 38, not that Aero made a 0.5" mistake in their measurement!
    Half an inch more or less in the chest makes very little difference in how a jacket fits.

Arizor, torfjord and HoosierDaddy like this.